Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 01:13 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
There are young people looking around Sharpsburg. I know first hand. I think Lawrenceville is too expensive for what you can get, so there are people looking elsewhere.
On paper, Sharpsburg could be Lawrenceville with better schools, and a real draw for urbanists. But I don't think I'd want my daughter to grow up being called a "river rat" by rich ******* classmates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 01:55 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
On paper, Sharpsburg could be Lawrenceville with better schools, and a real draw for urbanists. But I don't think I'd want my daughter to grow up being called a "river rat" by rich ******* classmates.
A lawl skool buddy of mine went to FCAS for 11th and 12th grade, and a friend of his who attended schools in the district K-12 said snobbery wasn't much of an issue for most of his schooling, but by the time he graduated, it had become a major source of social division.

How are the educational resources in Lawrenceville's neighborhood elementary/middle schools though? I suspect not very good.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
A lawl skool buddy of mine went to FCAS for 11th and 12th grade, and a friend of his who attended schools in the district K-12 said snobbery wasn't much of an issue for most of his schooling, but by the time he graduated, it had become a major source of social division.

How are the educational resources in Lawrenceville's neighborhood elementary/middle schools though? I suspect not very good.
Lawrenceville schools are bad and getting worse sadly, at least insofar as attracting anyone new to the neighborhood would go.

Historically, Central and Upper Lawrenceville went to Arsenal for K-5 and 6-8. I know Arsenal K-5 is one of the lowest-scoring schools in PPS, although this may be because it also is one of the few (four, IIRC) schools that Pittsburgh concentrates all of its ESOL students in). Lower Lawrenceville went to Woolsair (a distinction shared with Polish Hill, Bloomfield, and Shadyside), and wasn't as bad, but still wasn't good. Both schools were already majority black despite not drawing on any black neighborhoods.

With the reworking of feeder patterns, things shifted a bit. Arsenal will now be shared between Central Lawrenceville and Garfield, meaning it will likely become a more overwhelmingly black school. Upper Lawrenceville was moved to Sunnyside, a majority-black school shared by Stanton Heights and Morningside. Lower Lawrenceville stays in Woolslair, but there were shifts in that feeder further east, with the addition of Friendship and subtraction of Shadyside.

Regardless, my point wasn't that Sharpsburg didn't already have better schooling options than Lawrenceville - it does. My point was that it could market itself as a great affordable place for parents who like Lawrenceville-style living, but want good public schools. But the social divisions in the district make it socially problematic for parents looking to buy into the district on the cheap.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:19 PM

There's been a lot of discussion about which suburbs are possibly bucking nationwide trends and gentrifying. What about suburbs on the decline, which the OP seemed interested in as well. Past the obvious ones of Penn Hills/West Mifflin/McKees Rocks I mean.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
That makes sense since high school is when social issues become magnified.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:35 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Not exactly an inner ring suburb, but wondering what you guys know about Plum?

Old 10-09-2012, 03:25 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That makes sense since high school is when social issues become magnified.
He was more getting at the fact that tensions in general had exacerbated as Sharpsburg has gotten "worse."

Old 10-09-2012, 04:46 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
Is McKees Rocks still declining? As a resident of neighboring Stowe, I feel like it has just about hit rock bottom, or is close to it, anyway. Stowe is still in decline, but is a notch or two nicer than McKees Rocks, and still has a functioning business district.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:26 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Is McKees Rocks still declining? As a resident of neighboring Stowe, I feel like it has just about hit rock bottom, or is close to it, anyway. Stowe is still in decline, but is a notch or two nicer than McKees Rocks, and still has a functioning business district.
I feel as though McKees Rocks has gotten much worse over the past 5 or so years, and yes it could even get worse. And Stowe is by far better than the Rocks.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:25 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Unfortunately, it seems that any old school business district is lucky to be alive at all in this era of suburban sprawl.
In San Diego, many old school business districts which had declined are seeing a powerful rebirth. Hillcrest was first, with a lot of night clubs and restaurants. Then specialty shops went in as well. Now the same path is being taken by at least 4 or 5 other neighborhood business districts which are the equivalent of your inner ring suburbs.

They all seem to be following the same model. Most businesses that sell things - clothing, hardware, jewelry, furniture, department stores have all been swept away. The only businesses selling stuff from the old days that seemed to have survived are grocery stores and drug stores. However, if the bones of the buildings are good, with good architecture and a walkable street scape, what takes their places are restaurants, both high and low end, night clubs, bars, coffee houses, hair salons and a few, very boutique places that sell unusual stuff such as imported handicrafts, comic books, art, yoga studios, massages (this is still California - ).

The key thing is that these areas have found a model that works in the era of suburban sprawl and the mega box store, and the super mall.

If a place like Bellevue is to ever follow this model, they will have to allow alcohol sales. It's the only way restaurants can make enough money to thrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh