Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 09:54 AM

4 posts, read 4,886 times

Advertisements

My thought is also that it could be mine subsidence. I would buy Pa state mine insurance anywhere I buy a home in the Pittsburgh area. There were so many mom and pop mines, that are not legally noted on any local mapping. About 12 years ago, our neighbor found a huge hole in the garage, big enough to swallow the car. Fortunately, no one was in the garage and neither was the car. It took 3 days of continuous pouring of cement to fill it, from a cement truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 10:13 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
It seems like a lot of money, but it's a beautiful house now, regardless.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,412 times
Yikes, to think how easily these homes were nearly stolen a decade ago. Where are the next up and coming areas.......

Old 03-18-2014, 09:41 AM

632 posts, read 853,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_telecom View Post
Where are the next up and coming areas.......
A relative in the banking business thinks it may be the West End, due to its close proximity
to Downtown. I am personally not convinced.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:17 AM

142 posts, read 224,356 times
"I've been lost in Knoxville before. I didn't feel unsafe stopping to ask directions. It was daytime."
:S One time I was walking in knoxville during the day and some dude pulled up in his vehicle and asked me to get into his car. I wouldn't call it ok.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:25 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post
A relative in the banking business thinks it may be the West End, due to its close proximity
to Downtown. I am personally not convinced.
I keep telling everyone that Crafton is the next big thing!

Old 03-19-2014, 10:10 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalforever View Post
"I've been lost in Knoxville before. I didn't feel unsafe stopping to ask directions. It was daytime."
:S One time I was walking in knoxville during the day and some dude pulled up in his vehicle and asked me to get into his car. I wouldn't call it ok.
Anyone can pull out anecdotes like this on either side. I lived in Knoxville for six months and used to walk my dog around by myself, and I'm a short white female. The dog was a pup, and he's not a scary breed, so he wasn't a deterrent. Only moved because the landlord was selling the house, and people walking through every day became annoying.

It was the far southern tip though (Wilbur St).

Old 03-19-2014, 10:24 AM

632 posts, read 853,732 times
RE: slanty floors

When I was a kid there was a house on Wyoming Street where part of the foundation gave way and one side
of the house began slipping over the hillside. This caused the entire thing to shift, so that all of the framing became off-square.

The house frame itself was not square, the windows were not square, the doors were not square.
All shifted to obtuse angles. Like that old nursery rhyme about the little crooked man in the little
crooked house.

I always wanted to buy that house when I grew up and build a whole set of crooked furniture to
go inside it. But the darned city came along and condemned it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh