Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 01:50 PM

479 posts, read 1,237,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
My husband is an engineer and has been offered a postion in the high 70s (he was offered two others at this income level too) and we are not currently residing in Pgh at the present time, it can be done, we took a 25 thousand paycut, worth it ioho to get back to the area we miss and love!
When have you decided that you will move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 05:51 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I do not call the above salaries a sacrifice. Granted, teaching is hard work and should be rewarded well, but these salaries are far from poverty level.
I never claimed that public school teacher salaries are "poverty level". I don't know where you came up with that. The sacrifice I'm talking about is putting aside social-climbing aspirations to accept other people's children and trying to mold something good from them. The sacrifice of making yourself responsible for the mental and physical well-being of 100-150 kids (whom you are not related to) per day. The sacrifice of putting your own opinions aside and giving everyone a chance to succeed no matter how much grief they heap on you. The sacrifice of having to be aware of your public presentation in the community 24-7, as there will always be people around you waiting for you to slip up so they can attack you. The sacrifice of setting yourself up as a target for every self-indulgent and callous fool who resents paying any amount of taxes in order to better society. The sacrifice of doing a great public service that very few will recognize, and that many will criticize constantly.

If you don't think teaching is a sacrifice- then you are part of the problem.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I probably shouldn't answer this at all because I can see it getting nasty, but I just have to say something. Nursing is another job where one has
Quote:
The sacrifice of making yourself responsible for the mental and physical well-being of 100-150 kids (whom you are not related to) per day. The sacrifice of putting your own opinions aside and giving everyone a chance to succeed no matter how much grief they heap on you. The sacrifice of having to be aware of your public presentation in the community 24-7, as there will always be people around you waiting for you to slip up so they can attack you.
To that last I would add, waiting to sue you. We all have our crosses to bear. I make less than the average teacher, too, and I work 12 months a year. If you're not up to the job, don't do it.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I probably shouldn't answer this at all because I can see it getting nasty, but I just have to say something. Nursing is another job where one has To that last I would add, waiting to sue you. We all have our crosses to bear. I make less than the average teacher, too, and I work 12 months a year. If you're not up to the job, don't do it.
I was under the impression that RN's made more than teachers with overtime and all. Both are stressful and underpaid and underappreciated.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgirl49 View Post
I was under the impression that RN's made more than teachers with overtime and all. Both are stressful and underpaid and underappreciated.
It's possible in the hospitals that some nurses make more than some teachers, but that's even more stressful than working in an office, like I do. I do respect the work teachers do, but like all of us, they have made a choice to do so.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:38 PM

My mother was a teacher in small town Aliquippa from the 1930's thru the 1970's and was very aware that the community was watching her and judging her actions at a higher standard than the general populace. In a big place like LA this wouldn't be as true. There was a teacher in a school that I sub alot in that had two children unmarried with another teacher at the same school and I heard no criticism.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:40 PM

A friend of mine lived on a farm near a small town in Ilinois. Her mom was a teacher at the local high school and when her sister got pregnant their mom was very embarrassed. That was over 20 yrs ago. I doubt it would be the same today.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
A friend of mine lived on a farm near a small town in Ilinois. Her mom was a teacher at the local high school and when her sister got pregnant their mom was very embarrassed. That was over 20 yrs ago. I doubt it would be the same today.
Yes, you probably are right. The worst thing that could have happened to me in my parent's eyes was to come home pregnant from college. They would have really considered that a shameful thing and probably would have sent me away! I sure wouldn't react that way if my 23 year old daughter got pregnant. I wouldn't want to raise it full time but would be happy to have a grandchild any way I could get one. I certainly wouldn't consider it a serious moral lapse like my mother would have.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:43 PM

394 posts, read 1,430,904 times
This thread bummed me out a little. I'm an English major at Robert Morris and was hoping to land a teaching job after grad school here, since I've enjoyed my time in the Pittsburgh area so far.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFan09 View Post
This thread bummed me out a little. I'm an English major at Robert Morris and was hoping to land a teaching job after grad school here, since I've enjoyed my time in the Pittsburgh area so far.
I wouldn't give up, just realize it can be tough. Have you looked into possibly teaching at the Jr. college level? If you really want to stay in Pittsburgh consider all the possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh