Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 01:48 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Target 11 Investigates proposal to bring water taxis to... | www.wpxi.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 01:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Someone tried a ferry for commutes into town from a Millvale park-n-ride. It failed miserably.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:12 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
My wife and I took one a few years ago from the Strip to watch the fireworks at PNC park, it was a good time. Just not profitable for the owner unless PAT takes it over and gives pensions.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:11 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times
Honestly I don;t understand why this wouldn't work. It's faster. In Europe this has been done fore decades. In Venice (Italy) people take water taxi to go to work. In Istanbul (Turkey) they take boats pretty much like New Yorkers take the subway. In Netherlands they have it; in London they have it (be it for visitors). why not here? I don;t understand.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:20 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Honestly I don;t understand why this wouldn't work. It's faster. In Europe this has been done fore decades. In Venice (Italy) people take water taxi to go to work. In Istanbul (Turkey) they take boats pretty much like New Yorkers take the subway. In Netherlands they have it; in London they have it (be it for visitors). why not here? I don;t understand.
It's tough to make time in a no wake zone.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:29 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Such services can work in particular circumstances, but usually they require heavy subsidies. And here, I think the basic problem is they are going to be too slow, given where the terminals can be located, to compete effectively with the alternatives for more than a small handful of potential passengers.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:27 PM

369 posts, read 463,107 times
It seems like the previous attempts (and this one) were more of a structured, scheduled ferry system. But I don't see why a privately owned true water taxi operator like the one pictured would not be successful.

Minimal docking facilities and infrastructure required. Considering how hard it is to get a cab in town, it would probably be easier to hail one of these!

Old 10-29-2012, 02:40 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
Minimal docking facilities and infrastructure required. Considering how hard it is to get a cab in town, it would probably be easier to hail one of these!
You are still going to have some fixed costs--equipment, maintenance, insurance, labor time, and so on. If you don't get enough passengers at high enough fares, you will bleed money.

And most people don't live right on a river around here. Many are in fact uphill from the nearest one.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:10 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I LOVED the water taxis in Boston and used them plenty during a recent trip.

I too wonder why we don't have them here....

Decent stops would be convention center, Strip, North Shore, South Side, Station Square... maybe the Waterfront.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
It won't be easier.

We have to walk to the hotels to grab a taxi. With water taxis, we'll have to walk to the water.

The hotels are more conveniently located to where people are at downtown than the water is.

There are huge parks and highways dividing people from the water.

It would be different if there were businesses and establishments right along the shore.

For now, it will only work during festivals and other events located near the water.

That's not enough business to keep a water taxi business in business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh