Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 07:02 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,699,251 times

Advertisements

Ace in the Allegheny – Next American City

Anyone have a subscription? I'm dying to read this.

Quote:
Ace Hotel, the ultra-hip hotel chain with outposts in cities like Portland, New York and Palm Springs, has another young and creative urban locale in its sights. But this time, Ace won’t open a branch in some coastal hipster hotbed. No, next on the list is Pittsburgh — specifically East Liberty, Pittsburgh, a neighborhood replete with faded Victorian buildings and still recovering from mid-century decay and the missteps of urban renewal. Why here? For one, the notion of PIttsburgh as a dying steel town is evolving, especially among locals, and though the city continues to shrink, its under-35 population has started to grow, big time. Forefront veteran Nancy Scola explores whether Ace, the apotheosis of the creative class theory and third space to end all third spaces, can seize the opportunity to help usher in a citywide branding change.

• Learn how the charms of Steel City seduced Ace founder Alex Calderwood.
  • Read about how Pittsburgh stabilized its shrinking core.
  • See how the ultimate third space goes about choosing where to bring its brand of cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 07:06 AM

I actually just purchased this thing. Huge article. Totally worth spending $2 on, if this interests you.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:27 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
I actually just purchased this thing. Huge article. Totally worth spending $2 on, if this interests you.
Thanks for the recommendation, AaronPGH! I've asked for an online subscription to the Pittsburgh Business Times as one of my Christmas gifts, but I'll probably spend the $2 in the interim to read this article.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:07 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,031,857 times
For the cheapskates, an excerpt:

Forefront Excerpt: Ace in the Allegheny – Next American City

Pretty interesting stuff. I definitely think this is a project where both sides can get a branding boost.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:37 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,901,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'll probably spend the $2 in the interim to read this article.
You? Careful, there. It's about the (further) hipsterization of Pittsburgh (you know, those underemployed people you love to loathe?)

I ordered a copy, too, though.

I have the same dinnerware as Clyde Common, the restaurant at the Ace Hotel in Portland. It's called platebowlcup (dinnerware) and knifeforkspoon (flatware), and it's designed by Jasper Morrison for Alessi. I wonder if they'll use the same thing here.

Scroll down a bit: Clyde Common / Domestic & Foreign Cooking in Portland, Oregon . I don't know how to embiggen my pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Ace Hotel article in Next American City-jasper-morrison-plate-bowl-cup.jpg  

Last edited by jay5835; 11-20-2012 at 11:03 AM..

Old 11-20-2012, 01:17 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,086,802 times
I bought it! Very interesting article.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:39 PM

429 posts, read 654,596 times
I liked it because it wasn't one of those "Pittsburgh, not the same old sh*thole you thought it was" type articles. It actually went in depth about the renewal of East Liberty, and the people making it happen. Good article.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:44 PM

I also liked how it took a deep dive into the Ace Brand and how they are connecting that locally. And they managed to paint a nice picture of the new "vibe" felt around town, I think.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:00 PM
CFP

475 posts, read 624,821 times
Talk is cheap - construction is expensive.
I'll believe it when I see it.

East Liberty Development plans to convert East Liberty YMCA building into apartments
East Liberty Development plans to convert East Liberty YMCA building into apartments - Pittsburgh Business Times

YMCA-to-condo revamp gets boost
YMCA-to-condo revamp gets boost - Pittsburgh Business Times

Sneak Peek At Y Lofts Condominiums In East Liberty
Sneak Peek At Y Lofts Condominiums In East Liberty | www.wpxi.com

Old 11-21-2012, 12:42 PM

I'm pretty sure none of this press would be happening if the project weren't well on it's way. Ace Hotel is no hack developer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh