Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you smell your neighbors when you open your windows or go outside?
Yes, I smell cigarettes 9 26.47%
Yes, I smell other scents 6 17.65%
No, my property is scent free 23 67.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 10:55 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Gallacus, that your neighbors don't try to be more respectful of how their actions may detrimentally impact those around them.
Doing laundry and smoking in your own house and yard is showing a lack of respect? Most people wouldn't even give it a second though. It's not like running a lawn mower where you know it will affect your neighbors. It's fine if Gallacus chooses not to mention the problem to his neighbors, but there's virtually no chance they'll even be aware of the problem unless they are told.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 10:57 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
Like I said, I have no problem with them smoking or using scented laundry products. What I do have a problem with is said odors filling up my house/property. I agree I have to adapt, but only because I'm in the minority. Don't tell me I'm asking for their rights to be impinged, because all I'm asking is for them to not trample on mine. As the old adage goes, "the right to swing my fists ends where your nose begins."
They aren't trampling on your rights. They are simply living their lives on their private property in a manner that most of the population lives their lives. You truly have no legal rights with this issue but they do. You either adapt without an attitude (because life is too short to waste it on being judgemental and resentful) or you buy a new house that isn't close to other houses.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:01 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Doing laundry and smoking in your own house and yard is showing a lack of respect? Most people wouldn't even give it a second though. It's not like running a lawn mower where you know it will affect your neighbors. It's fine if Gallacus chooses not to mention the problem to his neighbors, but there's virtually no chance they'll even be aware of the problem unless they are told.
If I smoked and lived in a densely-populated neighborhood I would indeed check with my neighbors to be certain that they weren't being subjected to my exhaust.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:06 AM

675 posts, read 2,099,045 times
Quote:
It's fine if Gallacus chooses not to mention the problem to his neighbors, but there's virtually no chance they'll even be aware of the problem unless they are told.
I have brought it up to them, and they were very nice and said they'd do anything to help, and then proceeded to do exactly as they always have. I don't wish to start a war, so I didn't push it.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
It's fine if Gallacus chooses not to mention the problem to his neighbors, but there's virtually no chance they'll even be aware of the problem unless they are told.
I think it would be a big mistake if Gallacus says something. He won't be able to come off as someone pleading for compassion. He'll come off as someone who thinks his rights are being trampled on. He'll sound super superior and judgemental if he says he thinks the dryer sheets are dangerous for his child to play outside. If I had a neighbor make similar complaints about my laundry, I'd think they had a few loose screws. I would. Since I'm not a malicious person, I'd simply continue washing my laundry the way I always do and avoid interacting with the neighbor except for a friendly wave. But some neighbors are malicious and will retaliate with a big attitude.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
If I smoked and lived in a densely-populated neighborhood I would indeed check with my neighbors to be certain that they weren't being subjected to my exhaust.
We're not just talking about smoking. We're talking about doing laundry.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
They aren't trampling on your rights. They are simply living their lives on their private property in a manner that most of the population lives their lives. You truly have no legal rights with this issue but they do. You either adapt without an attitude (because life is too short to waste it on being judgemental and resentful) or you buy a new house that isn't close to other houses.
As I've said several times, I agree that I must adapt simply because of how outnumbered I am in this area, but that doesn't in any way mean that my rights haven't been violated. I still stand by the fact that, as a property owner, I have the right to enjoy my property without smoke filling the air.

You are correct that there is little I can do in Pennsylvania legally, but only because the law states that any private nuisance must inflict "significant harm" to the individual. Since the negative effects of second-hand smoke are generally not acute, it is very difficult to prove this. In a few states, however, tobacco smoke is considered a private nuisance. California and Utah, for example, both have laws that prohibit smoke from wafting onto neighbors' properties.

Ultimately, I think I'd be able to just ignore it as a nuisance if it were only me, but I can't stand that if I want to play with my kids on my own property, they have to breath in second-hand smoke all the while.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think it would be a big mistake if Gallacus says something. He won't be able to come off as someone pleading for compassion. He'll come off as someone who thinks his rights are being trampled on. He'll sound super superior and judgemental if he says he thinks the dryer sheets are dangerous for his child to play outside. If I had a neighbor make similar complaints about my laundry, I'd think they had a few loose screws. I would. Since I'm not a malicious person, I'd simply continue washing my laundry the way I always do and avoid interacting with the neighbor except for a friendly wave. But some neighbors are malicious and will retaliate with a big attitude.
I'm not sure where you got that I have an attitude about the whole thing. I've been nothing but nice to my neighbors.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:31 AM

In any regard, the reason I was posting was to see what others would do in my situation, and to get a feel for how likely I would be to end up in the same situation should I decide to move. FWIW, it looks like most people think I'm crazy for being concerned about the health effects that these things are having on my children, but also that most people aren't able to smell their neighbors. I'd say that about sums it up. Thanks again for contributing.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
As I've said several times, I agree that I must adapt simply because of how outnumbered I am in this area, but that doesn't in any way mean that my rights haven't been violated. I still stand by the fact that, as a property owner, I have the right to enjoy my property without smoke filling the air.

You are correct that there is little I can do in Pennsylvania legally, but only because the law states that any private nuisance must inflict "significant harm" to the individual. Since the negative effects of second-hand smoke are generally not acute, it is very difficult to prove this. In a few states, however, tobacco smoke is considered a private nuisance. California and Utah, for example, both have laws that prohibit smoke from wafting onto neighbors' properties.

Ultimately, I think I'd be able to just ignore it as a nuisance if it were only me, but I can't stand that if I wantu to play with my kids on my own property, they have to breath in second-hand smoke all the while.
I think the laundry is your bigger problem since you said they do it 4-5 hours per day. Smokers typically smoke a cigarette once an hour or every half hour for a few minutes at the most. There's no way your back yard is constantly filled with second hand smoke.

Quote:
I'm not sure where you got that I have an attitude about the whole thing. I've been nothing but nice to my neighbors.
It's just how you sound here. I would really be perplexed if someone said their children couldn't play outside because of my laundry and you don't want them breathing the chemicals. Since this isn't a typical concern of parents, I'd think you were being judgemental and superior, especially if I had children of my own who I was subjecting to my laundry choices. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh