Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 08:26 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times

Advertisements

I guess I should drop FIOS and then switch back to them to get that $79.99 deal. We're paying about $180 right now for the FIOS bundle (and that's w/o premium movie channels).

If I didn't live in a valley that's impervious to antenna and wireless signals, I'd drop the TV and landline. Wish I could've seen the future of communications when we bought this house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 08:32 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB&J O'Rourke View Post
What? FiOS offers up to THREE HUNDRED MEGABITS.
Really? Then the person quoting me knew nothing. I believe I'm month to month on Comcast so I can look into Fios when I'm settled in. I was in a hurry to get internet before I moved in.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:51 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
I just got xfinity (Comcast) high speed internet. The Fios internet speed was slower than the xfinity. Fios only offered one speed and xfinity offered three different speed options. Can't seem to find my notes on the prices. I just had it installed the day before yesterday. I wasn't bundling so there may be different price options if you are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB&J O'Rourke View Post
What? FiOS offers up to THREE HUNDRED MEGABITS.
Quote:
Really? Then the person quoting me knew nothing. I believe I'm month to month on Comcast so I can look into Fios when I'm settled in. I was in a hurry to get internet before I moved in.
300mbps is expensive hardly anyone has it. Comcast bumped up speeds free of charge 50mbps people went up to 100mbps. So it's easily possible your xfinity was faster than the Fios you were comparing it too. If you can get the FIOS triple play package deal I would probably go for it but I would check on the speeds for sure.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:40 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's interesting. I had no idea there were additional channels available without cable.
Yep. We get them in the garage where we have an old small tv hooked up with rabbit antena. We get channels we don;t get in the house with comcast. My better half likes to watch it while tinkering with the cars.

Inside the house we have comcast about 130 per month bundle that includes the comcast business package plus the sports channels (some of us can't live without everything soccer ).

Old 12-10-2012, 11:26 AM

82 posts, read 141,066 times
Quote:
Can you get NFL Network through Roku or Hulu? I'm planning to get DirecTV so I can see all the 49ers games. But it would be awesome not to have to spend so much for TV.
There are ways to get the NFL Network on Roku, but they are not always reliable and quality may not be great.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:21 PM

225 posts, read 299,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
300mbps is expensive hardly anyone has it.
A Bentley is expensive and hardly anyone has one. They still exist.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:51 PM

142 posts, read 224,356 times
I get clearspot internet for $35/month

Old 12-10-2012, 03:40 PM

155 posts, read 179,325 times
I have dish network's America's top 120 plus. Since that's the cheapest price option and still get Root sports Pittsburgh. If the Pirates and Penguins could get local channels to broadcast their games. I would go with an antenna. I also think that you should be able to subscribe to either NHL center ice or MLB extra innings without blackout restrictions even though you're in a certain team's market.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:16 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I guess I should drop FIOS and then switch back to them to get that $79.99 deal. We're paying about $180 right now for the FIOS bundle (and that's w/o premium movie channels).

If I didn't live in a valley that's impervious to antenna and wireless signals, I'd drop the TV and landline. Wish I could've seen the future of communications when we bought this house.
Yeah, Verizon treats its existing customers like crap! I am in the same boat. My contract is up and I called about those great deals and am denied. The lowered my rate $20, but I am still paying wildly more than a new customer. If I shut everything off for 30 days, I would be considered a new customer. I am thinking of a way to do that without interruption to some services. Not sure why they treat customers so poorly that switched to them when they started Fios going? Makes me want to leave them.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:29 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post

SOME MONEY SAVING TIPS (even with bad antenna service)

My brother signed up for an internet only service for $29.99 a month. The cable companies don't advertise it, but you can plug the cable directly into a TV with QAM tuner (almost any TV manufactured since 2006) and he gets over 20 channels. That way he can watch football games and network TV in high definition. He loses out on ESPN monday night football, and Thursday football on the NFL channel, but if he really cares about the game he can go to a bar or someone else's house.

Rather than pay $140 a month he supplements the basic TV with Netflix or Hulu+ for $10 plus DVD rentals. If there is a series on cable TV, they simply rent the DVD at the end of the year, and watch the entire series at once.

For news shows like CNN or FOXnews you can more or less look at their websites.

There are multiple options for "plain old telephone service". One of the simplest is to buy a phone for about $40 that will function as a relay for your cell phone. That way when you bring your cell phone home at the end of the day and plug it in to recharge, you place it near the base set. While the cell phone is recharging you can use the other phone to walk around the house. It frees you from having to run back to the recharging location every time the cell phone rings when you are at home. Look for a phone with DECT 6.0 capability and CONNECT TO CELL capability. The phone will more than likely be made by VTECH. It can handle up to two cell lines and a third land line if you don't want to give that up. A little window on the individual headset will tell you which line is calling, and also function as CALLER ID. You can get up to 5 to 8 handsets for as little as $20 per handset. If you retain a land line only the base must be plugged in. Unlike the cordless phones of yesteryear, the DECT 6.0 phones have excellent reception up to 500 yards through most walls. With multiple handsets you can also use them as an intercom.

The cheap way to replace DVR service is to buy a coaxial to USB tuner ($25-$60) for your computer. Then you can record the shows on your computer's hard disk like a TIVO box, and play them back. You need some additional connection if you want to play them back on the TV screen. It helps to have a post 2006 computer which is more than likely to have a large hard disk and a fast processor. The newer TIVO boxes have 500 to 2000 Gb hard drive, but 500 Gb has become the standard in computer hard drives today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh