Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 01:33 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihigh4448 View Post
I'm used to the surburbs but I am willing to try to see what the other neighborhoods have to offer. Not really worried about nightlife because it's not on top of my list. I do want something that is walkable. I walk and run for exercises so that is something else that is important. I wouldn't mind easy parking. I just don't want to be around a lot of crimes.
When people talk about walkability, they generally mean the ability to walk to an active business district (not always nightlife however - often just doing day-to-day chores without using a car), not the ability to walk for recreation, which may be why people were confused. Except for some comparably new suburbs, sidewalks are omnipresent here, so you'd be able to run anywhere.

There are only a handful of neighborhoods which are really bad where you would run a significant risk of violent crime. Even in the worst ghettos, the kids mostly kill each other and don't bother with bystanders.

Squirrel Hill will be your best bet I think, both due to the easy commute to Oakland via bus, as well as being flanked by major city parks on two sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihigh4448 View Post
Been getting advice that Wexford is nice.
Wexford isn't a real place, it's a zip code. Regardless, it's in one of the top school districts in the county, and there are few rentals out there, so you'd pay a premium for amenities you wouldn't be using.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 01:34 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
I would highly recommend coming up here to visit first before committing to living anywhere as your ideas seem way all over the place

Old 12-19-2012, 01:35 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Every suburb that is not East of the city is going to require 2 buses to get to Oakland (Wexford is to the north). Unless you have a good reason, like family or something, then I think you should look at the nicer east end neighborhoods and eastern suburbs. Regent Square and Squirrel HIll sound perfect for you. Walkable, close to Oakland, good public transit, immediately adjacent to Frick Park for running, Parking would probably be on-street, but it's not terrible to find a spot there. Regent Square is a bit odd because it is a single neighborhood, but it is spread out over 4 municipalities (the City of Pittsburgh, Edgewood, Swissvale, and Wilkinsburg).

Old 12-19-2012, 02:30 PM

5 posts, read 12,716 times
Alright thanks. I will look into Regent Square and Squirrel Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh