Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 12:21 PM

14,354 posts, read 17,066,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
Many people don't have the patience, money or talent to deal with an older home. While I can and do appreciate their beauty, that doesn't mean I'd like to live in them. Lack of many modern ammenities and functionalities, or requiring a large expenditure to get those, are not many people's thing. Home repair issues stress me out like crazy, so living in a "modern abomination" is better for me and my family.
That's all understandable. Sadly though, you can't find new homes (except at the very high end) with finishes like brick on all four sides (or even wood siding), plaster instead of drywall, and ornamental built-in woodwork. Even the hardwood floors are liable to be fake, when they are there at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 01:11 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,010,835 times
Quote:
Many people don't have the patience, money or talent to deal with an older home. While I can and do appreciate their beauty, that doesn't mean I'd like to live in them. Lack of many modern ammenities and functionalities, or requiring a large expenditure to get those, are not many people's thing. Home repair issues stress me out like crazy, so living in a "modern abomination" is better for me and my family.
Not all older homes need a ton of repairs. Anecdotally, I can tell you that my parents' new construction, that they spent a quarter of a million building (13 years ago, mind you, so who knows what it would cost now to build), needed more major repairs in the first two years than my house has (0 repairs here).

Old 12-27-2012, 01:44 PM

674 posts, read 1,414,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
Not all older homes need a ton of repairs. Anecdotally, I can tell you that my parents' new construction, that they spent a quarter of a million building (13 years ago, mind you, so who knows what it would cost now to build), needed more major repairs in the first two years than my house has (0 repairs here).
This is all off topic, but I felt like I had to "stick up" for the OP. When someone comes to this forum and asks about new construction, almost every single time a number of posters jump all over them and complain about new construction and how everyone should live in an older house, etc., instead of answering the question. Different strokes for different folks. Not everyone likes or wants the same things.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,155,634 times
Quote:
This is all off topic, but I felt like I had to "stick up" for the OP. When someone comes to this forum and asks about new construction, almost every single time a number of posters jump all over them and complain about new construction and how everyone should live in an older house, etc., instead of answering the question. Different strokes for different folks. Not everyone likes or wants the same things.
It helps the new-construction-seekers realize why there is limited new construction available. This isn't a region where people typically demand new construction. It's slim pickings for people who want it. If they want quality new construction, they're going to have to build it themselves instead of buying in a development of cheaply constructed homes.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:06 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,208,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I just checked out Summerset at Frick Park's website. The room sizes are super small.
I didn't have time until now to look into this, but now I have.

I won't claim that my research was exhaustive, but I took a quick look at a couple of Heartland's floorplans, and a couple of floorplans from Summerset.

You're incorrect.

From what I saw they're comparable, not small at all, let alone super small.

Unless all you looked at were the "Cottage Homes", and even those aren't super small rooms...

Old 12-27-2012, 02:35 PM

17 posts, read 47,077 times
I will look again. Will visit them, amongst the other places, in January when we go to Pittsburgh

Old 12-27-2012, 02:46 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,163,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It helps the new-construction-seekers realize why there is limited new construction available. This isn't a region where people typically demand new construction. It's slim pickings for people who want it. If they want quality new construction, they're going to have to build it themselves instead of buying in a development of cheaply constructed homes.
I really want to put up something off of methodhomes.net

There are actually a couple of lots in Morningside available that look over the river. Would be cool to cantilever one of those over the edge of the hill. Not my ideal lot, though. I'd probably be better off buying an existing run down home for the lot and tearing it down.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:04 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,582,660 times
Summerset at Frick has nice sized rooms. They aren't oversized McMansions, but they aren't far from small. The yards are small, but there's a public park area with a pool and playground plus it is close to Frick Park.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:39 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,974,548 times
Maybe some definition of terms is in order. What would you consider a small room?

Old 12-28-2012, 06:46 AM

173 posts, read 309,960 times
Ryan Homes has new construction in Ohio Township, I believe they're in the $270's range. It's 5 minutes from 279 North, and about 15-20 minutes from downtown. The new development is called Cobblestone and it's taking reservations.

That said, I drive by the area daily, they've demolished all the trees, and while the houses look nice, they're very close together and are very much what you would expect from a builder like this. Proceed with caution, but if it's what you want, it's what you want!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh