Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 12:45 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
FWIW, as a former resident of the South Side (and a former weekend warrior in the South Side) I have a hard time taking anything a witness said seriously, especially at 1:45 a.m. East Carson looks like an episode of the Walking Dead around that time. I am not sure how accurate these descriptions of police cars speeding by at 40 mph, cops everywhere with guns blazing, and an officer standing on the hood of a car can be. I can't judge how fast a car is going when I am dead sober nonetheless after an evening in the South Side. My guess is the statements by these witnesses are as close to realty as their stories about the "hot" girl that was hitting on them all night, or how great they looked while dancing on the bar.
The person interviewed on the video I provided seemed very sober to me. Not every single person is totally drunk. It isn't hard to tell if a driver is speeding on a city street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 12:47 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
In response to do I feel if that was okay what I saw in that video. I definetly do. The cop stood on the car so that he could obtain a better vantage point, not because he thought he was in the wild west. I have more of a problem with stupid people standing around live crime scences taking videos, actually putting themselves into harms way. I know some people will say, that we should be glad that people catch these on tape so we can know what truly happened, but in that moment, those people were nothing more than fools for not leaving the scene.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:48 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I remember the Strip being cool with Metropol and then that dump Whiskey Dicks moved in and that was the beginning of the end and the South Side was a total blast for people for many years, but keep in mind this situation really isn't a South Side problem, it was sort of a fleeing driver from another area that happened to end up in the South Side. I do feel the South Side is now getting the wrong crowd. There was a time when t that crowd wasn't there at all. Shame, but there will be a new place that will be fun. Not sure where though?
Whiskey Dicks... you can tell it's gonna be awful just from the name.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:49 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
As for the man giving the interview, seems pretty bright out for 1:45 am. Looks like they interveiwed him the next day, so hard to tell if he was sober at the time or not.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Whiskey Dicks... you can tell it's gonna be awful just from the name.
Yeah, I don't want to get off topic since I feel this thread is pretty interesting of the perception of people on this forum and their view of what is and isn't okay for police to do in a very crowded area, but I remember talking to the owner of Metropol years ago and he said that was the end of it. The owner of Metropol was a really cool innovative guy that is for sure. He was the real start of that place as far as a nightlife scene. Man, that place was really in for a while. Great run.

What do you think about that video Evergrey? I find it pretty disturbing to be honest. What would be the reason for firing into that stopped vehicle? I have a feeling there is going to be a bunch of videos posted and they will be able to see the whole thing from beginning to end. Heck lets face it, the entire South Side is full of cameras. I don't think we will be lucky enough to see all that footage though.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
As for the man giving the interview, seems pretty bright out for 1:45 am. Looks like they interveiwed him the next day, so hard to tell if he was sober at the time or not.
True. At first I thought he was indoors or in a well lit area, but I would say it was the next day. Looking at that video, one thing seems consistent. There were a pile of police cars behind the stopped Buick. That being said, did they really stop pursuit, or were they flying down Carson? What a crazy scene.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:09 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
So, do you feel this was okay? I am looking forward to seeing if there was indeed a chase right down Carson. I'll bet there was
Nothing on the video changes my opinion. Trying to outrun police down an extremely crowded area is murderous.
My fiancé who was sober & right in the middle of it said it was a job well done by the officers.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:15 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,338 times
Quote:
East Carson looks like an episode of the Walking Dead around that time. I am not sure how accurate these descriptions of police cars speeding by at 40 mph, cops everywhere with guns blazing.
Absolutely, usually after 1:30, people are already walking in the streets because the sidewalks are too full. You have to be really careful not to hit people even driving at 5 mph let alone 40, which is an impossibility because of the bumper to bumper traffic.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Nothing on the video changes my opinion. Trying to outrun police down an extremely crowded area is murderous.
My fiancé who was sober & right in the middle of it said it was a job well done by the officers.
Shooting someone AFTER the danger is over is a job well done? It might have been a great job all the way to a cop standing on the cab and firing into the car. What purpose is that? Payback? Anger release?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:21 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Shooting someone AFTER the danger is over is a job well done?
This is your opinion, reality may be otherwise. If not I'm sure we will hear about it following an investigation.

You know what would have prevented everything? Not fleeing from the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh