Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 05:36 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
Do police not use spike strips anymore? That seems like it would have been a much better way to end the chase safely, instead of firing a gun on literally the busiest street in Pittsburgh on a Saturday night.
I dont know how immediately available spike strips would be on short notice. From the article, the police gave chase, then quit chasing when the fleeing suspect was entering the city area; and the moron then chose to speed down carson st while not in pursuit, crash into vehicles and continue trying to drive down the crowded st at a high speed when he was shot by the foot officers on duty in the soutside. No one else was injured so it seems like a job well done by the police actually to keep pedestrians from being possible run down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 05:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Am I the only one who read the first article?

Quote:
Pittsburgh Police Chief Nate Harper said officers attempted to use road spikes to slow down the driver’s vehicle, but he was able to avoid them, continuing toward the densely-populated South Side at a high rate of speed.

Driver And Mother Shot By Police During Chase, In Serious Condition « CBS Pittsburgh

Old 01-13-2013, 05:47 PM

912 posts, read 1,733,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My bad. I (obviously) didn't read the article. Saw it on the news this morning.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:50 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,375 times
At least no innocent bystanders were injured. Bad situation all around with no good solution if that driver was driving recklessly at high speed through there. You have to wonder how much intent the passenger had in the whole thing; getting shot in the eye (if that's where she was shot) for something she didn't want to be part of is a tough night.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:57 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
(well besides that they should have killed the driver, but he unfortunately survived).
execution without a trial is awesome! it's the american way!

Old 01-13-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
execution without a trial is awesome! it's the american way!
Yes, saves taxpayers $$ on medical treatment and court costs on a worthless human being that obviously had no qualm in putting thousands of innocent bystanders in harms way.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Ha, missed that. I guess then can indeed get those in short notice then......though they apparently need to invest in strips that cross the whole road

Old 01-13-2013, 06:30 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,338 times
Monitored the entire situation last night via scanner as I always do Fri & Sat nights.

Police supervisors from Homestead as well as the city TERMINATED pursuit in each respective area.

This guy was solely on an adrenaline rush and kept the speed up even though NOT being pursued any longer by police. The second terminate call was issued when he passed Becks Run Road. It was his decision to keep going into the South Side, which anyone knows is packed at that time on any given weekend night, especially during nice weather. He probably thought it would be a great way to "get lost" in the crowds.

The South Side has been my hangout for many years, and I have been there to witness plenty of the mayhem that has happened during those years, but never anything like last night. There was a full call out for ALL city zone officers, as well as units from Penn Hills, Baldwin, Homestead, PSP, County Police, and Sheriff Dept. It was a crazy scene.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:37 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
I wonder where they tried to used the road spikes? It seems like they should've been able to block E. Carson st. before he got to the South Side. Once he got past the Glenwood Bridge, there is a 2.5 mile stretch on Rte 837 where the only access road is Becks Run Road before you get to the area of the Steeler's Training Facility. This would have been ideal to block the road if they could have gotten police vehicles to this area.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:05 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,380,495 times
I can't believe this... People wonder why the average young black person isn't fond of the police... Well this is exactly why...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh