Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,194 times

Advertisements

So what can a home owner who lives in Allegheny county do with the crooks on the board of property assessment? Yes relocate out of Allegheny county. Appealed twice, they don't care. They don't inspect, they just slap whatever ridiculous price they think they can get away with. I'm not going to go into details, a plethora of folks have gone/are going through the same thing. Sucks I have to relocate, but I am fed up with these assessment crooks, selling the building and getting out of here. Home will sell, if I'm lucky, for half of what it was assessed at. Best thing I can do is warn others, Allegheny county offices are filled with imbeciles trying to drain every dime from home and business owners. STAY Away. I did my part you've been warned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 06:07 PM

82 posts, read 141,042 times
That's the biggest reason the house I bought last week is 100 yards on the other side of the Allegheny county line.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:40 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Yet Allegheny County is currently the county that is nor driving a decent majority of the population gains in the Pittsbrugh metro according to the Census estimates for 2012. If Allegheny County's population stayed flat or feel the metro would have lost population. You do realize that millage rates have to be adjusted by law so the county or any borough doesn't make a 'windfall' or more money off assessment too right?

Old 04-06-2013, 09:11 PM

122 posts, read 194,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Yet Allegheny County is currently the county that is nor driving a decent majority of the population gains in the Pittsbrugh metro according to the Census estimates for 2012. If Allegheny County's population stayed flat or feel the metro would have lost population. You do realize that millage rates have to be adjusted by law so the county or any borough doesn't make a 'windfall' or more money off assessment too right?
Tangentially, does anyone know how much of that growth is from people moving in from outside the region?

Old 04-06-2013, 09:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OniNoKen View Post
Tangentially, does anyone know how much of that growth is from people moving in from outside the region?
This map shows inbound and outbound migration for counties throughout the country.

American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

Click on a county and a bar chart shows the numbers for each county.

It's really cool because it shows were everyone moved to/from.

We're getting a lot of people from southern California.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:43 PM

9,336 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Seems it never rains in southern California/
Seems I've often heard that kind of talk anymore/
But it always rains in Picksburgh, yinz don't see no sun in winter/
It pours 'n at, ya jag off, it pours...

That said, while I certainly don't fault families who "escape" Allegheny County seeking lower taxes, for me, the perks of living in a community in/immediately around the city would far outweigh the costs.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:55 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times
Quote:
This map shows inbound and outbound migration for counties throughout the country.

American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

Click on a county and a bar chart shows the numbers for each county.

It's really cool because it shows were everyone moved to/from.

And one from Northern CA.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
And one from Northern CA.
I expect more to come because you're a trend setter!

From the bar chart, it appears our inbound/outbound migrations are leveling off.

It looks like we're not losing much population anymore from outbound, but we're not really gaining from inbound yet either.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:20 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times
Quote:
I expect more to come because you're a trend setter!

From the bar chart, it appears our inbound/outbound migrations are leveling off.

It looks like we're not losing much population anymore from outbound, but we're not really gaining from inbound yet either.
Why, thank you! I am trying to convince all my friends and family to move here. I can see my kids' eyes rolling at the very thought.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Why, thank you! I am trying to convince all my friends and family to move here. I can see my kids' eyes rolling at the very thought.
I always tell my children, true leaders dare to walk alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh