Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 07:39 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times

Advertisements

Damn the Burgh's gay'er than I thought....LOL....

I especially like this part

Quote:
The gay community is well-integrated within the mainstream population. The city has numerous theaters with artsy and gay-themed films and a high appreciation of alternative culture

http://www.pridesource.com/guidearti...?article=59366
Something the Burgh needs to Cheerlead all day long.. This is the future, not segregated enclaves..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 10:28 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I'm surprised nobody else commented on this thread yet. I read the article and thoroughly enjoyed it. I shared it on my Facebook wall as a great piece regardless of one's sexual orientation.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:45 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,569 times
"...with a population of nearly 700,000, Pittsburgh..."

The population of Pittsburgh more than doubled since 2010? Wow.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
"...with a population of nearly 700,000, Pittsburgh..."

The population of Pittsburgh more than doubled since 2010? Wow.
In its heyday Pittsburgh's city proper had nearly 700,000 residents. We've gained about 3,000 people since 2010 to now be sitting at 308,000+, if I'm not mistaken.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:00 AM

654 posts, read 945,325 times
It's nice to read that Pittsburgh is a very LGBT-friendly city. Coming from the conservative south, that will be a breath of fresh air! In Jacksonville--and Jax is a large city, in case you didn't know--the homophobia is so thick you can slice it.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
It's nice to read that Pittsburgh is a very LGBT-friendly city. Coming from the conservative south, that will be a breath of fresh air! In Jacksonville--and Jax is a large city, in case you didn't know--the homophobia is so thick you can slice it.
We've never experienced any hardships here due to our alternative sexual orientations, but then again we're also on the butch/masculine side. I don't know if our perspective would change at all if we were more flamboyant or effeminate.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:16 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
What? There are gays in this town? That's it, I'm moving.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:17 AM

654 posts, read 945,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
We've never experienced any hardships here due to our alternative sexual orientations, but then again we're also on the butch/masculine side. I don't know if our perspective would change at all if we were more flamboyant or effeminate.
I myself am a fairly masculine individual, and I can tell you, the south isn't the place to be if you're a member of the LGBT community. I'm confident that I won't have any issues as a gay man in Pittsburgh.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:30 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,555,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
I myself am a fairly masculine individual, and I can tell you, the south isn't the place to be if you're a member of the LGBT community. I'm confident that I won't have any issues as a gay man in Pittsburgh.
Can't say I've really even heard of any issues here. As the article said, everything kind of "meshes" here. Come Pride, it's a competition amongst the big businesses in town of who can get their name bigger on all the Pride material, I swear.

OUTrageous Bingo (GREAT event) is held monthly in Oakland. It's usually sold out. The event packs 400+. All proceeds go to the GLCC of Pittsburgh and Matthew Shepard Wellness. That event is awesome--you see a mix of young and old and about a 50/50 gay/straight crowd.

The city in general has same-sex partner benefits as well as the county. Nearly every major employer in the city extends same sex partner benefits as well. (I'm proud to work for one that earns a 100% on the HRC's Equality Index) The City-County Building flew the rainbow flag to promote marriage equality. Last year, the city council had "Sharon Needles Day" ... right down to a performance by her at the City-County Building. And of course, good ol' Mayor Lukey changed his stance on marriage equality and fully supports gay marriage.

Last year, Pride ran in conjunction with the Arts Festival so well. You could go from one event to the other nicely. Downtown was truly bustling that weekend.

Welcome, in advance, to Pittsburgh!

Old 04-12-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Can't say I've really even heard of any issues here. As the article said, everything kind of "meshes" here. Come Pride, it's a competition amongst the big businesses in town of who can get their name bigger on all the Pride material, I swear.

OUTrageous Bingo (GREAT event) is held monthly in Oakland. It's usually sold out. The event packs 400+. All proceeds go to the GLCC of Pittsburgh and Matthew Shepard Wellness. That event is awesome--you see a mix of young and old and about a 50/50 gay/straight crowd.

The city in general has same-sex partner benefits as well as the county. Nearly every major employer in the city extends same sex partner benefits as well. (I'm proud to work for one that earns a 100% on the HRC's Equality Index) The City-County Building flew the rainbow flag to promote marriage equality. Last year, the city council had "Sharon Needles Day" ... right down to a performance by her at the City-County Building. And of course, good ol' Mayor Lukey changed his stance on marriage equality and fully supports gay marriage.

Last year, Pride ran in conjunction with the Arts Festival so well. You could go from one event to the other nicely. Downtown was truly bustling that weekend.

Welcome, in advance, to Pittsburgh!
I think it's more so a case that the anti-gay bigots now realize for certain that they are comprising a progressively slimmer and slimmer minority of the overall population with each passing year and are relenting. More of them realize that as science comes closer to proving there is a biological or genetic link to determining one's sexual orientation that they'll appear very foolish to have been on the wrong side of history. More of them realize that as more states legalize both same-sex civil unions and same-sex marriage (Nevada looks to be next) they are losing the battle. More of them realize you can't impose restrictions on someone based upon your own personal religious convictions in a nation that was founded upon the principle of not making a law that prioritizes one religion's beliefs over another. More and more people are learning that their own friends, neighbors, colleagues, barbers, bus drivers, postal carriers, and sometimes even relatives are non-heterosexual, and, as such, they have to reposition themselves on the issue.

I feel badly for people like jay5835 (and older)---the ones who were our age (early-to-mid-20s) at a very different time in American society. Back in the 1970s I couldn't imagine being an openly-gay couple in this country without fearing physical harm. If nothing else I want to work as hard as I can NOW to ensure future generations have an even easier time growing up gay, which is why I'm now pondering law school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh