Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 09:16 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
The 1990s just called and they want their urban redevelopment concepts back...

You can quibble with elements of a particular design, but I think it should go without saying that a strong residential component be included in the plan.
the biggest mistake, I think, is not carving it up into parcels and simply auctioning it off rather than selling "super block" development schemes which are so 1950-60's. agreed on residential. I think it would have worked better if the city restored the street grid as public streets.
I'm not sure about the produce terminal and whether it was even necessary to kick out the wholesale business, cities can accomodate varied types of uses in any given area. maybe they could put a giant slip n slide in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 09:41 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
I don't believe that USS being part of the Strip project would improve it - it could and should, but I think it would still be a wasted opportunity for that land since Buncher seems to be determined to do a weak project there.

However, the amount of space that USS needs would be enough for a developer to start a new tower.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I don't believe that USS being part of the Strip project would improve it - it could and should, but I think it would still be a wasted opportunity for that land since Buncher seems to be determined to do a weak project there.

However, the amount of space that USS needs would be enough for a developer to start a new tower.
Quote:
In an interview last week, James Scalo, president and CEO of Burns & Scalo Real Estate Services, said U.S. Steel also had considered a 29,000-square-foot parking lot he owns on Fort Pitt Boulevard near Smithfield Street for a headquarters. He said the company told him it was looking for more of a horizontal campus-like headquarters than a vertical office tower
Read more: U.S. Steel expected to stay in Downtown - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

it wouldn't be terrible if the pen's won them over either, given the enormous amount of available land around downtown (not in) a horizontal building or group of buildings should be easy to accomodate and could eat up some acreage.I don't think oxford's tower is a good idea though scalo's is at least proposed for a surface lot on the edge of town which would be nice.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:21 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
The 1990s just called and they want their urban redevelopment concepts back...

You can quibble with elements of a particular design, but I think it should go without saying that a strong residential component be included in the plan.
I'm fine with housing/residential units but some spots are just too prime even for that. We have a lot valleys to fill with housing but closer into downtown, the choices should be more judicious. Nearer David L Lawrence, I'm more inclined to favor visitor amenities.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I'm fine with housing/residential units but some spots are just too prime even for that. We have a lot valleys to fill with housing but closer into downtown, the choices should be more judicious. Nearer David L Lawrence, I'm more inclined to favor visitor amenities.
visitor amenities and resident amenities are one and the same, in fact, the more mixed the two are, the better the experience for the visitor.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
visitor amenities and resident amenities are one and the same, in fact, the more mixed the two are, the better the experience for the visitor.
True, but visitors are at the hotels and convention centers so you want the amenities near them. As their stay is short term, they'll put up with the higher cost. Residents might live further out anyway as they have to balance convenience with cost. I still think some spots are just too prime for residences but that doesn't mean they have to live far away.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
True, but visitors are at the hotels and convention centers so you want the amenities near them. As their stay is short term, they'll put up with the higher cost. Residents might live further out anyway as they have to balance convenience with cost. I still think some spots are just too prime for residences but that doesn't mean they have to live far away.
the draw of downtown is paying more for convenience for resisents as well.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
the draw of downtown is paying more for convenience for resisents as well.
Right, but residents are staying there 365 days so they don't want to pay the premium prices per day that hotels guests do for maybe 7 or less days.

But the point I'm making is that Pittsburgh has little riverside entertainment/dining amenities in downtown and the spot in question can have a better purpose than for a corporate campus or apartments/condos. Plenty of other locations along the river banks but there is only one convention center. It's not ideally close to David L Lawrence but not bad and it works with the Strip District as well.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Right, but residents are staying there 365 days so they don't want to pay the premium prices per day that hotels guests do for maybe 7 or less days.

But the point I'm making is that Pittsburgh has little riverside entertainment/dining amenities in downtown and the spot in question can have a better purpose than for a corporate campus or apartments/condos. Plenty of other locations along the river banks but there is only one convention center. It's not ideally close to David L Lawrence but not bad and it works with the Strip District as well.
hotel rooms can also go empty. i think a mix of office, hotel, lodging with ground floor retail is perfect. its a huge parcel, design is where it seems the project will fall flat. well see.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:14 AM

32,619 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Part of me wants to see them take a piece of the Buncher land because I would hope that by doing that we could at least count on some landmark architecture along the riverfront.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
I would love to see USS build a new aesthetically pleasing campus along the river in the Strip. That would anchor that development nicely.
I'll third this.

Quote:
It's called Station Square. It's dying. My partner's family ate at Hard Rock Cafe last night. Very uncrowded. My parents were in town last year. I showed them the dancing fountains at Station Square. The place was a ghost town then, too. A similar development in the Strip District might finally fully kill Station Square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh