Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 12:53 PM

440 posts, read 549,681 times

Advertisements

My Uncle has been living in NYC for 45+ year, while growing up in western PA-- he has spent 90% of his life in the heart of NYC. However as of late money is not what it once was and the new york Hustle to pay rent is taking a toll on his mind and body. Now that Pittsburgh has recently been making some national waves he is honestly considering moving back to the city.

While I am somewhat considerate that he would pick right back up having some solid roots in the area, his wife of Miami via cuba in the 50's -- is use to BIG city life. Miami to NYC to LA -- while I make a solid argument that we do have our share of good food and culture , there is NO doubt we are not anywhere near NYC level of excitement. At this point they are not able to afford to go out to eat in city and can't even think of any production shows...

I enjoy the new vibe of the city and can not wait to show them a good time outside the usually local elks lodge, however realistically am I just partial to the city-- could they really make Pittsburgh a valid option after all that time in New York city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 12:58 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,085 times
Why do these threads always remind me of Green Acres?

Old 04-08-2013, 01:32 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
there is NO doubt we are not anywhere near NYC level of excitement. At this point they are not able to afford to go out to eat in city and can't even think of any production shows..
Their NYC life sounds like the definition of unexciting to me. NYC has tons of stuff, but if you can't afford to enjoy it, what's the point of living there? More fun to live in Pittsburgh and actually be able to afford to do stuff.

Now if they merely like walking down the sidewalk in a hustle and bustle environment, Pittsburgh has some of that, but nothing compared to NYC. I doubt that single factor is worth it for them to stay in NYC, though.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:40 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
No one can really answer your question besides your uncle and aunt. Can you invite them for a visit, maybe for a week?

Another thing concerns me: are they going to need to look for jobs? It's hard out there, let alone for people their age (assuming aunt and uncle are around the same age).

Old 04-08-2013, 01:42 PM

312 posts, read 732,742 times
I would say Pittsburgh would be great for them...since the cost of living is much cheaper and they will have more money to do more things.....now Pittsburgh doesn't have the streets of NYC vibe but it has a great city vibe and I think it is quite refreshing too...since I love Pittsburgh and may be bias...one thing I would think they would enjoy about Pittsburgh is the great parks they have to enjoy within the city.....as well as alot of ethnicity food, etc.......at their age, I do not think they would be bored with Pittsburgh at all! Best of luck with your relatives!

Old 04-08-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
I have never seen Green Acres-- however that was how his wife originally proposed this to me-- hopefully netflix can catch me up. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Their NYC life sounds like the definition of unexciting to me. NYC has tons of stuff, but if you can't afford to enjoy it, what's the point of living there? More fun to live in Pittsburgh and actually be able to afford to do stuff.
EXACTLY. That is my argument every year.. Yes you live a block away from broadway and the best food in the world.. IMO.. That would torture living.. They loved the "status" symbol of moving from a small town and "making it " in the big city.

Originally moving out of country to some small island type living was their plan. COL is very low -- however with declining health or unstable health that was shot down. Practically this would be great for them.. Much more intimate hospitals and attention. ( in NYC imagine 6 in a room and broken lights) able to live in the city for 1/4 of thier rent and OWN the building. Creating equity and some stability. Just not sure if I am going to be able to prove to them ( her) that we do have some new ideas throughout the city

Old 04-08-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
No one can really answer your question besides your uncle and aunt. Can you invite them for a visit, maybe for a week?

Another thing concerns me: are they going to need to look for jobs? It's hard out there, let alone for people their age (assuming aunt and uncle are around the same age).

It does all come down to their choice..However I would like to sway their vote in this direction. I am going to have them stay at the Hotel in the Strip -- always feel like the strip district is a nice indicator of the city.

Neither of them will work.. combined they have an income of around 120K.. They should also have some $$ after selling some properties. NYC has really just took a major toll on their mental health at 65+ scrapping together some writing or consulting work to pay rent is not cutting it. 120k a year along with about 250K for a place is solid for them...

Any suggestions on what I should do with them.. I have food down and KNOw i will impress them on that front -- outside of that I am little shy on ideas.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:55 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
Any suggestions on what I should do with them.. I have food down and KNOw i will impress them on that front -- outside of that I am little shy on ideas.
If it suits them at all, I'd make sure to take them to the cultural district so they realize they aren't completely out of luck if they enjoy shows or symphonies. I've heard it said that it's the highest concentration of theaters outside of NYC.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:26 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Fresh air!!!

Old 04-08-2013, 03:35 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
Make some of your food choices in Squirrel Hill, Oakland, and Shadyside. Do not eat at any pizza places in Squirrel Hill, though. If they like pizza a lot, it's probably best to avoid Pittsburgh pizza entirely, or they'll go running back to NY on the next train or plane.

There's a nice place for brunch at the corner of Wilkins and Fifth called the Sunnyledge, which is where Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, and Oakland meet. Sunnyledge - Boutique Hotel & Tea Room

I like the Porch at Schenley between the Carnegie and Hillman libraries in Oakland. Then you can check out the museums.

Every time someone has come to visit me from DC, they've wanted to see the Andy Warhol museum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh