Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:59 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times

Advertisements

I was visiting my mother the other week. She lives in a fairly small (around 30,000 people) college town in Massachusetts. In the few days I was there I was asked for money by panhandlers more than in the past year I've lived in Pittsburgh.

I mean, it does happen that I'm asked for money, especially downtown. But it usually seems to be random people walking around, not someone who's set up shop sitting down on the street and begging. It used to semi-frequently happen on the bus, but doesn't seem to any longer. Usually, it seems like the panhandlers in Pittsburgh are clearly not homeless (fairly well dressed, look like they've bathed recently), whereas the actual homeless people do not ask for money.

Anyway, I would presume we have worse laws regarding panhandling here. But I'm curious what other people thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 10:10 AM

674 posts, read 1,413,079 times
From an unscientific viewpoint, I think the number of panhandlers has decreased greatly in recent years. There's only one "regular" that I can think of having encountered in the parts of downtown that I work in/frequent. A very polite woman who is usually somewhere on Fourth Avenue. Never given her a dime, but she is always very gracious and polite.

There's often someone on the ramp from Stanwix onto the Parkway West/Fort Pitt Bridge.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:15 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
I think it has dropped in the past few years also, possibly because I'm not downtown as much. Oakland and Squirrel Hill have their regulars and I don't really see many others. I'd forgotten how bad it could be until I took recent trip to Philly.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:28 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
I guess it's because of the weather, but I was shocked at the number of panhandlers in Portland and San Francisco. There's some in Florida, but there doesn't seem to be the same culture about it as out west.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:37 AM

252 posts, read 348,301 times
I'd say there are very few "street types" of all bands here: panhandlers, bums, hobos, buskers... there does seem to be a small population of crusties in the SS flats and around the Shur Save in Bloomfield though.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
There's a larger homeless population out West too. We definitely have less panhandlers in Pittsburgh. I suspect our low cost of living prevents many from becoming homeless. Perhaps we have better social services for the mentally ill here than there. Perhaps it's not lucrative here because Pittsburghers are so darn frugal. I won't give to panhandlers.

Years ago, I saw a guy standing with a sign "will work for food" at the parking lot entrance of the shopping center in Cranberry. He had kids with him! It's not the only time I've seen people exploit their children like this, but it was the first time I saw it. I went to the grocery store and bought all WIC approved type food. I dropped the bags off when I was leaving. He glared at me. He clearly did NOT want food. I doubt he wanted work. That's the LAST TIME I ever gave anything to beggers aside from bus fare to someone once or twice a year.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:41 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
There's a lady in my neighborhood that's been needing $1 to get the bus to McKeesport for years.

The few regular panhandlers we have seem to have terrible memories & will approach you multiple times a day, everyday with no hint of recognition.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:49 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I can think of a few "regulars". There's always some "crusty"-type younger person (or two or three) panhandling at the base of the Birmingham Bridge along East Carson Street in the South Side Flats, usually holding a handmade cardboard sign, and sometimes with a dog. There's also an older amputee who usually hangs out along Forbes Avenue in Oakland near McDonald's. I can also think of a man that sits on the steps of LuLu's Noodles on South Craig Street in Central Oakland (yes, Jay, I do love the "blue sign squad") who always yells "a little help?" at passersby. There's also a regular on Murray Avenue in Squirrel Hill whom I used to give an occasional free drink to (I'm allowed a couple of free drinks per shift, especially in summer) until he started to expect and demand them. There's also a short older woman who likes to panhandle around the Village at East Side Shopping Center entrance. I've also been panhandled on Forbes Avenue in Squirrel Hill near Little's Shoes.

With that being said while I just rattled off a small number of the "regular" panhandlers I usually come across I tend to agree we have fewer here than in many other cities I've been to. I've given money to some in the past, but the one in East Liberty really turned me off the one day when she immediately said "got any more?" It seems as if our panhandlers are more polite yet simultaneously more annoying.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:49 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
There's a lady in my neighborhood that's been needing $1 to get the bus to McKeesport for years.
There used to be a mildly-retarded woman on the 91 who would ask for "four quarters" to everyone. Literally, she would get on the bus and go up and down each row, asking each person in turn for money.

Haven't seen her in awhile though. Wonder if she got gentrified out.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:51 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Wonder if she got gentrified out.
Sssshh...I'm next!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh