Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2014, 10:29 AM

3,866 posts, read 3,143,889 times

Advertisements

Fear and paranoia is used consolidate power and make money. Real estate firms, security companies, military industrial complexes ,etc makes boatloads of money by playing on it. It may lessen over generations but will never disappear because of people with hidden agendas can effectively employ it.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:55 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
I think the common theme here is that people are ignorant of their surroundings in general. In the city limits the "don't cross rivers" stereotype is still very much a reality in people of all ages. When I lived in Beaver a few years ago it was "don't go into the city because it's dangerous" while Aliquippa was next door. People just make these sweeping assumptions and refuse to change their opinion. Here are some of my favorite examples of ridiculous statements I have heard over the years:

• "That neighborhood is a sh*t hole". Girl from Beaver speaking about Troy Hill. Yes, that Troy Hill.
  • "Don't go to East Liberty, it's dangerous!" My mom in 2013.
  • "Isn't that neighborhood ghetto?" My co-worker in reference to Lawrenceville in 2012. He is in his mid 20's.
  • My personal favorite: "Where is that at?" Many people when I tell them about the good beer being brewed at East End Brewing Company. THE LOCATION IS IN THE NAME

Old 01-31-2014, 11:28 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I think the common theme here is that people are ignorant of their surroundings in general. In the city limits the "don't cross rivers" stereotype is still very much a reality in people of all ages. When I lived in Beaver a few years ago it was "don't go into the city because it's dangerous" while Aliquippa was next door. People just make these sweeping assumptions and refuse to change their opinion. Here are some of my favorite examples of ridiculous statements I have heard over the years:

• "That neighborhood is a sh*t hole". Girl from Beaver speaking about Troy Hill. Yes, that Troy Hill.
  • "Don't go to East Liberty, it's dangerous!" My mom in 2013.
  • "Isn't that neighborhood ghetto?" My co-worker in reference to Lawrenceville in 2012. He is in his mid 20's.
  • My personal favorite: "Where is that at?" Many people when I tell them about the good beer being brewed at East End Brewing Company. THE LOCATION IS IN THE NAME
Right before the at.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:30 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Right before the at.

Glad someone sees the subtleties in my posts.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicamerican View Post
I wonder if some of the anti-Pittsburgh, anti-DC, etc-thing comes from people who grew up with the notion that middle and upper class people live in the safe burbs and scary poor people live in deadzone cities. They simply cannot internalize the changes that have taken place, even if you show them the stats (there is more poverty now in suburbs than inner cities) and take them on a tour. I drive my parents through DC -- past block after block of high end restaurants and stores -- and they notice the one check cashing place and say it's too dangerous to be there. I have friends who are the same way. It will probably take a generation before we, as a culture, equate cities with wealth, safety, amenities and desirability.
You have a point, but I think that is a misreading of the statistics. If you take a city like Pittsburgh, where 6 out of every 7 people in the metro (roughly) live in the burbs, numerically, there may be more poor people in the burbs than in the city. However, the percentage is still, from everything I have seen, higher in the cities than the burbs. I also read an article once that said that "deep poverty" is more common in "the city". (Don't know if that applies to Pgh, I think it was in reference to DC.)

Old 01-31-2014, 02:47 PM

273 posts, read 348,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You have a point, but I think that is a misreading of the statistics. If you take a city like Pittsburgh, where 6 out of every 7 people in the metro (roughly) live in the burbs, numerically, there may be more poor people in the burbs than in the city. However, the percentage is still, from everything I have seen, higher in the cities than the burbs. I also read an article once that said that "deep poverty" is more common in "the city". (Don't know if that applies to Pgh, I think it was in reference to DC.)
Katiana,

You're most likely right about Pittsburgh. However, across the country, poverty is now more of a suburban phenomena. It's just better hidden.

There's a ton of reporting on it. Take this, for example, from the CS Monitor:

Face of US poverty: These days, more poor live in suburbs than in cities - CSMonitor.com

Old 01-31-2014, 02:55 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,772,549 times
I really doubt that the percentage of poverty households is higher in suburbs than most cities. They are saying the number is higher in the suburbs, not the percentage. Almost all cities in the US have more people living in the burbs than the core city, and most of the suburban populations outnumber the cities by at least a factor of 2 or 3.

Pittsburgh has a lot of poor suburbs, doesn't it??

Old 01-31-2014, 03:00 PM

273 posts, read 348,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I really doubt that the percentage of poverty households is higher in suburbs than most cities. They are saying the number is higher in the suburbs, not the percentage. Almost all cities in the US have more people living in the burbs than the core city. Pittsburgh has a lot of poor suburbs, doesn't it??
One way or the other, there is also a trend at play. It's very pronounced in DC where "DC" basically meant poor 10 years ago. Now, DC is starting to equate to wealthy while MD takes on the poor moniker.

It may not be happening in Pittsburgh like it is in other places.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
@slavicamerican- It seems they are still looking at total numbers. Here is a quote: As of 2010, 55 percent of the poor in major metropolitan areas were living in the suburbs.

So, slightly over half of all metro poor live in the burbs. OTOH, 7 times as many people live in the burbs in the Pittsburgh MSA. Pittsburgh is no outlier, either. Denver's ratio is about the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh