Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 08:59 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,038,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Right. And even if, after many years, the municipality forces a Sheriff Sale, there are still unresolved liens from the school district taxes, mortgages, etc. These can amount to tens of thousands of dollars, and nobody is going to want to pay all of these fees for a run down home that is probably worth very little in its present condition.
I've never understood the logic of property liens going to a new homeowner, even though a friend who is a lawyer has walked me through it many times.

I mean, I understand having a lien which insists if the property is sold, that the former owner has to use any proceeds of the sale to square away all liens. But under what weird logic should a random person who buys the property become responsible for said back taxes? They were, after all, in no way responsible for the nonpayment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 09:39 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,038,961 times
If only the liens could be attached to the person responsible for nonpayment, rather than the property itself.. If only the municipalities would clear the liens upon sale, in order to have a tax generating property back on the books, but I guess that makes too much sense.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:29 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
If only the liens could be attached to the person responsible for nonpayment, rather than the property itself.. If only the municipalities would clear the liens upon sale, in order to have a tax generating property back on the books, but I guess that makes too much sense.

There is a way to clear liens from a property, when the property's equity value is less than what is owed on it and that is the process that needs expedited.

The lien on the property is designed to be the collateral and surety that the loan will be repaid. The rights of the lienholders have to be respected, if they aren't, there won't be much point in demanding collateral in the first place- effectively making some people just unworthy to be lent the money in the first place and higher interest rates for everyone else.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:00 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I've never understood the logic of property liens going to a new homeowner, even though a friend who is a lawyer has walked me through it many times.

I mean, I understand having a lien which insists if the property is sold, that the former owner has to use any proceeds of the sale to square away all liens. But under what weird logic should a random person who buys the property become responsible for said back taxes? They were, after all, in no way responsible for the nonpayment.
Tell me about it! I've been scouring CraigsList looking for deals on historic fixers or rent-to-own properties, and many times when I see a promising candidate for me to tour the caveat becomes "buyer responsible for XXXXX in back taxes owed..." It's quite frustrating.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:24 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,802,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Tell me about it! I've been scouring CraigsList looking for deals on historic fixers or rent-to-own properties, and many times when I see a promising candidate for me to tour the caveat becomes "buyer responsible for XXXXX in back taxes owed..." It's quite frustrating.
I can understand liens for mortgages and such sticking with the property, but tax liens should be able to be cleared away. The city, of borough should be able to offer these places for a minimal fee, with stipulations placed on the sale, such as having to live there for a certain amount of time. The city of Baltimore ended up in possession of a large number of early 19th Century houses which had been taken by eminent domain for a highway project that was going to cut a swath through the oldest part of the city. When the project was thankfully blocked, they offered the houses for sale for $1 each, with strict stipulations attached. This jump started historic renovations in the area, and today, Fells Point, Federal Hill, and adjacent areas, are some of the most desirable neighborhoods in Baltimore.

History of the Dollar Home in Baltimore | Baltimore Housing Overstock

Old 06-01-2013, 06:40 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
I can understand liens for mortgages and such sticking with the property, but tax liens should be able to be cleared away. The city, of borough should be able to offer these places for a minimal fee, with stipulations placed on the sale, such as having to live there for a certain amount of time. The city of Baltimore ended up in possession of a large number of early 19th Century houses which had been taken by eminent domain for a highway project that was going to cut a swath through the oldest part of the city. When the project was thankfully blocked, they offered the houses for sale for $1 each, with strict stipulations attached. This jump started historic renovations in the area, and today, Fells Point, Federal Hill, and adjacent areas, are some of the most desirable neighborhoods in Baltimore.

History of the Dollar Home in Baltimore | Baltimore Housing Overstock
Wow. Thanks for the history lesson, Herodotus! I had no idea that's how Fells Point and Federal Hill became reinvigorated. I only wish Pittsburgh had done the same here by blocking I-279 and offering a similar program with East Allegheny and Spring Garden. Oh, and Schweitzer Locks, too!

Old 06-01-2013, 06:54 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Wow. Thanks for the history lesson, Herodotus! I had no idea that's how Fells Point and Federal Hill became reinvigorated. I only wish Pittsburgh had done the same here by blocking I-279 and offering a similar program with East Allegheny and Spring Garden. Oh, and Schweitzer Locks, too!

The East St. Valley Expressway (I 279) was blocked for more than 20 years before it became reality.

I can appreciate the plight of those who were displaced in the East St. Valley as well as in Deutschtown.

But you really don't appreciate what a bear it was getting out to the North Hills and to Cranberry before the highway was built. I have no idea how Pittsburghers working at the businesses out in Cranberry and Marshall Township would be able to get to work. I suppose that a LRT route could have been built, but I don't see that idea as being much less expensive or disruptive than what we did receive.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:22 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,802,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The East St. Valley Expressway (I 279) was blocked for more than 20 years before it became reality.

I can appreciate the plight of those who were displaced in the East St. Valley as well as in Deutschtown.

But you really don't appreciate what a bear it was getting out to the North Hills and to Cranberry before the highway was built. I have no idea how Pittsburghers working at the businesses out in Cranberry and Marshall Township would be able to get to work. I suppose that a LRT route could have been built, but I don't see that idea as being much less expensive or disruptive than what we did receive.

There was nothing out there before the highway was built. The East Street Valley was in no way comparable to what was saved in Baltimore. On the other hand, East Allegheny was indeed a big loss, but nothing on the North Side comes close to the loss of Allegheny Center, although the sections of manchester south of Western Ave. had some superb housing.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
There was nothing out there before the highway was built. The East Street Valley was in no way comparable to what was saved in Baltimore. On the other hand, East Allegheny was indeed a big loss, but nothing on the North Side comes close to the loss of Allegheny Center, although the sections of manchester south of Western Ave. had some superb housing.
Yeah, but Baltimore lost a lot, too. The whole inner harbor area, for example, was demolished. And much of its downtown burned to the ground in the early 1900s. You also have those huge sections of the city just north of Fells Point that are now concrete and projects as far as you can see. I only know because I was trying to walk from Fells Point to Mt. Vernon through the "other" side of Baltimore. Lol

But the question is why can't Pittsburgh and surrounding historic municipalities implement something like Baltimore's dollar house program?

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 06-01-2013 at 08:11 AM..

Old 06-01-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post

Hmm. Maybe if the highway wasn't built, the businesses, jobs and people would have stayed closer to the city. Were people going to Cranberry in the 80s?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh