Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 04:26 PM

55 posts, read 93,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
For a change, I agree with you! It's certainly true here in CO. The doctor's parking lot where I work is full of trucks and SUVs, along with a few luxury cars. The nurses drive SUVs, mini SUVs, minivans, and Subaru wagons for a large percentage.
Yeah, but CO has similar features to Pittsburgh when you consider snow and terrain. And I haven't noticed as many SUVs/trucks/Vans in places like New York, Chicago, or Florida, but I wasn't really looking for them on short stays. I'm not say that it's not the same there, I'm really just asking. I'm surprised there isn't a good stat on which cities have the highest concentration of SUVs, etc. I've searched before but came up empty. I'd image that places like Pittsburgh, Denver, and maybe Minneapolis would be pretty high because of weather, and LA just because.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 04:47 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,030,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvidae22 View Post
Yeah, but CO has similar features to Pittsburgh when you consider snow and terrain. And I haven't noticed as many SUVs/trucks/Vans in places like New York, Chicago, or Florida, but I wasn't really looking for them on short stays. I'm not say that it's not the same there, I'm really just asking. I'm surprised there isn't a good stat on which cities have the highest concentration of SUVs, etc. I've searched before but came up empty. I'd image that places like Pittsburgh, Denver, and maybe Minneapolis would be pretty high because of weather, and LA just because.
I was surprised to see less SUV's in Boulder when I was there. Way more economical cars out that way, but the average education would be higher in Boulder of course. I also don't see as many SUVs in DC and Florida. They really should have a lower speed limit on the highways for SUVs/Pickups. They really have no business going over 55mph.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:59 PM

22,641 posts, read 47,797,904 times
No one should be going over 55mph in a 55 zone.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:59 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,791,973 times
Honestly, last time I was in Pittsburgh, I was struck by the lack of pickup trucks and SUVs compared to where I live now. I also noticed how much better the average condition of older cars was. On that note, don't complain about the mandatory annual car inspections in Pennsylvania. They force people to take care of their cars in exchange for the privilege of driving. In Georgia, there are no mandatory inspections, and it shows. There are lots of older vehicles that look like death traps, plus a lot more dead cars at the sides of the roads.

Another thing I noticed in Pittsburgh: there are still lots of GM vehicles, and Honda and Volkswagen both have a much larger share of the market than average. The preferred luxury automaker seems to be Audi. Where I live now, the only automakers that stand out to me with a disproportionately large share are Chrysler and BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
No one should be going over 55mph in a 55 zone.
No Interstate should have a speed limit of 55, except for those that are pathetically short of modern Interstate standards (I-376).

Old 07-28-2013, 05:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,938,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I was surprised to see less SUV's in Boulder when I was there. Way more economical cars out that way, but the average education would be higher in Boulder of course. I also don't see as many SUVs in DC and Florida. They really should have a lower speed limit on the highways for SUVs/Pickups. They really have no business going over 55mph.
Actually, I think the deal in Boulder is that the many college students there drive more economical cars due to their financial state.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:31 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,614,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
No Interstate should have a speed limit of 55, except for those that are pathetically short of modern Interstate standards (I-376).
It's a perfectly fine interstate. It's really grown on me now that I'm used to it. You rarely hear of anybody getting killed on the parts of it that everybody complains about frequently and it isn't at all rare for somebody to get killed out on the local interstates that meet modern standards.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:54 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,791,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
It's a perfectly fine interstate. It's really grown on me now that I'm used to it. You rarely hear of anybody getting killed on the parts of it that everybody complains about frequently and it isn't at all rare for somebody to get killed out on the local interstates that meet modern standards.
If you've gotten used to it, then the engine in your car must have at least 300 horsepower to compensate for the stop signs at the end of on-ramps. No Interstate should ever have stop signs at the end of its ramps, period. It's unacceptable. And just because nobody gets killed doesn't mean there aren't crashes, which are a pain in the ass to deal with.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:01 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I disagree. Americans in general cannot drive, nor should they be driving fast. People pass on the right, middle and sometimes left and just drive all over the place without any idea what is going on. Most are texting and on the phone and are driving big SUVs and Pickups that are very dangerous to begin with. If you want to increase highway speeds there needs to be real training of drivers, not just say here kid parallel park this car and boom you have a license. It is one big joke. It is a total free for all out there and no one has any clue.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:03 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, I think the deal in Boulder is that the many college students there drive more economical cars due to their financial state.
I was there in the summer. Didn't see that many college students and SUVs don't cost more than a nice economical car. They just cost more to put fuel in.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,938,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I was there in the summer. Didn't see that many college students and SUVs don't cost more than a nice economical car. They just cost more to put fuel in.
There are plenty of students, especially grad students, who are more likely to have cars in any event, there in the summer. If you didn't see many SUVs you weren't looking. As many as Pittsburgh? I don't know, haven't been there lately. But lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh