Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 10:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,225,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanm3685 View Post

I am actually embarrassed to admit that I lived in the region most of my life, and it wasn't until I came to this forum that I learned of the existence of the West End neighborhoods. Then again, I wonder how many people (even long time residents) know of the West End?
The West End Bridge is a big hint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 11:35 PM

6,601 posts, read 9,008,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Honestly, last time I was in Pittsburgh, I was struck by the lack of pickup trucks and SUVs compared to where I live now. I also noticed how much better the average condition of older cars was. On that note, don't complain about the mandatory annual car inspections in Pennsylvania. They force people to take care of their cars in exchange for the privilege of driving. In Georgia, there are no mandatory inspections, and it shows. There are lots of older vehicles that look like death traps, plus a lot more dead cars at the sides of the roads..
I completely agree with this. Even just going over to Ohio I notice many more SUVs and trucks. And even though state inspections don't reduce vehichle related deaths, they do still force people to keep up on their cars. Back in Ohio it's pretty easy to find a cheap used car lot and get something that turns on and moves for $1,000 or even less. In Pittsburgh I feel like you have to pay double or triple that because the cars are at least in good enough shape to pass inspection.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:21 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,919,720 times
i guess you could add me as another transplant driving a "cross over" vehicle.

my reasons for getting it was mostly because of how much of a deal i got my car for and the room for lugging stuff around and when i need to, drive my mom to her appointments.

i drive a 2011 toyota venza, a car that is a bit higher off the ground than a car, but lower than an suv. i like it, but what i loved was the sales price i got it new lol.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:29 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,585,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
This is a myth, and several other states have done away with their inspection programs because they do not result in increased safety. Additionally, I have lived in two major areas without inspection for a decent amount of time (Kentucky and Minnesota). Cars are not better looking or in better condition due to inspections. Especially because the PA inspection system is a privatized system that suffers from a significant amount of corruption. There are many cash for sticker auto shops out there and I have seen several cars that should not be considered roadworthy in PA. If PA inspections were really about safety they would be administered by PennDOT and no cars would be exempt.
Care to name a couple? I hear this "myth" all the time.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:03 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,730,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
It's not really a myth, at least not in Beaver County. When I lived there a shop once told me straight up "if you check engine light isn't on you'll pass inspection".

Old 07-29-2013, 06:30 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,211,318 times
Quote:
In my earlier years, I patronized a few. One guy called it the "No More Tears" inspection program...

("Tears", as in teardrops, not "tears", as something torn, if that wasn't clear.)

Old 07-29-2013, 08:10 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,867,934 times
Quote:
Myth haha that is a good one, use your Google machine and take your pick. Heck my roommate in college had a car that was so bad he asked me if I could drive him to the mechanic to pick up his stickers. It is laughable you believe that there it little to no corruption in a system that is setup to facilitate maximum corruption.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:42 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,585,106 times
Please give me a name of one of them, come October I know I'll need new brakes and tires to pass.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:22 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,414,061 times
I just looked up the gas mileage on my wife's Audi A6 and my crew-cab GMC truck. They're within 2 MPG's of each other...

Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,842,671 times
Quote:
Please give me a name of one of them, come October I know I'll need new brakes and tires to pass.
Your problem is, as Rachael Worby said, "You have to know someone." Most of those deals occur between the inspection shop and a friend of the owner. There's some agreement, like, "You are going to get this cracked windshield / your brakes / your tires / thewhatever replaced this week, right?" And the vehicle owner agrees, saying "Yes."

It's pretty rare to find a shop that lets some guy / gal they don't know drive in and get a sticker on a vehicle that's not qualified. That would be far too risky.

All of my fleet legitimately pass Inspection, btw. But I know people, like my ex, whose vehicles would not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh