Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 07:14 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,530 times

Advertisements

Good article about Pittsburgh trying to make the local population more diverse.

Rust Belt Cities, like Pittsburgh, Trying to Lure More Immigrants | @pritheworld

Old 09-04-2013, 07:43 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,645 times
Just thinking our loud here, if Pittsburgh were to become a sanctuary city, I imagine that would help rise immigration some. It is sad when 'cities' like Grand Rapids and Harrisburg are more diverse than Pittsburgh

Old 09-04-2013, 08:27 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
We already covered that story.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...mmigrants.html

And I'd say Pittsburgh would have lost its mind if it became a "sanctuary city" by aiding and abetting illegal immigration.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:48 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Peduto wants both high- and low-skilled immigrants to come here: engineers and janitors, refugees and Ph.D’s. He said, good-paying jobs are the best way to do that.

Mr. Peduto is pretty much all wet here.

Of course, high skilled individuals coming into the area can help the economy grow.

But the greater Pittsburgh area already has an abundance of long term unemployed and underemployed- particularly in the Mon Valley/Fayette County area but elsewhere too- that can fill janitorial and other low level positions. I suppose at a future time there might be a labor shortage for entry level jobs, but it hasn't happened yet and encouraging folks without particularly skills or without a waiting job to come into the area just doesn't seem too wise.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:07 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Pittsburgh just need to focus on creating jobs, and not worry about who is filling them.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:17 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Pittsburgh just need to focus on creating jobs, and not worry about who is filling them.

Exactly.

North Carolina and Georgia didn't get a booming economy because they were attracting a lot of immigrants by their enlightened attitude and social mores over the past 30-40 years.

They attracted a lot of immigrants because they had a booming economy.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:47 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
Good article about Pittsburgh trying to make the local population more diverse.

Rust Belt Cities, like Pittsburgh, Trying to Lure More Immigrants | @pritheworld
I like seeing people from other countries in places. Especially if it's VERY diverse.

HOWEVER....this is a regular theme I see, many cities in the U.S. want immigrants BECAUSE they are economic revitalizers. They start many small businesses in areas that have lost a lot of small business.

However, why doesn't the U.S. have more classes and programs to teach AMERICANS how to start small businesses? Most Americans who aren't employed by a corporation, seem to just go on the dole and do nothing instead. They don't have the skills, or interests, or awareness that they themselves could start businesses, it seems to me.

Maybe the U.S. needs to educate it's populace in this regard, so that cities don't have to resort to looking for immigrants to come in and start businesses instead. It's fascinating that some guy from India or China or somewhere can navigate and start a business in a foreign country like the U.S., but a local born and raised American with English as his birth language, can't seem to figure out how to do the same thing.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:41 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
its not about being taught how to start a business but having the ambition. once you are a citizen you are entitled to all sorts of programs and have an easier time finding employment. if you cant see the difference between long term welfare recipients and people willing to risk their lofe for a new start then you probably shouldnt be talking about immigration. education isnt the reason immigrants start businesses at a much higher rate. it isnt the they move into city neighborhoods (often originally built by immigrants) and breathe new life into them. dont hold your breath for the long term unemployed to do these things. peduto is right. illegal immigration is a bs argument anyway. immigratiin has slowed to a trickle anyway , this countrys problems are of its own makings not immigrants.

immigrant
Quote:
Outnouna couldn’t stop gushing about all things Pittsburgh. “I love it, I love it. I love Pittsburgh.”
I spoke with others here sharing that Pittsburgh passion.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:00 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
its not about being taught how to start a business but having the ambition. once you are a citizen you are entitled to all sorts of programs and have an easier time finding employment. if you cant see the difference between long term welfare recipients and people willing to risk their lofe for a new start then you probably shouldnt be talking about immigration. education isnt the reason immigrants start businesses at a much higher rate. it isnt the they move into city neighborhoods (often originally built by immigrants) and breathe new life into them. dont hold your breath for the long term unemployed to do these things. peduto is right. illegal immigration is a bs argument anyway. immigratiin has slowed to a trickle anyway , this countrys problems are of its own makings not immigrants.

immigrant

Pittsburgh's future is going to be with people that move here from somewhere else. I am not talking about just a few hundred a year either. Philly is growing by the thousands every year now....

Old 09-05-2013, 04:21 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
What is it that everyone thinks they're missing by not having lots of illegals?

Higher unemployment among yinzers? More welfare cases at the hospitals?

What?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh