Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 07:02 AM

674 posts, read 1,413,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
more reasonably-priced small grocer (perhaps a Giant Eagle Express?)
Lol at Giant Eagle being considered "reasonably-priced". Well, I guess compared to a Dean & DeLuca type place, I guess it would be more reasonable.

The space where this grocer will go is not particularly large (the former Ciao Baby) but a good location. Market Square has become a popular destination, both for lunch and the evenings. I will surely check it out.

Wonder what this means for the quickly emptying PPG food court? The building seems to have made no effort to replace any of the businesses that have left (and actually pushed out some of those who left). That is prime space, good foot traffic. I hope they do something with it. At first I thought a Whole Foods there would be silly in that location. But now that I think about it, I would probably patronize it quite a bit (though this is coming from someone who has never been in a Whole Foods) for lunches and picking up items for after work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 07:03 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,834,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
here's the new whole foods proposal in Philadelphia (a location on the fringe of downtown where there's an older, smaller WF). I think that a new WF in downtown might be best in a new development, possibly as part of the pens redevelopment of the igloo. I still think that waiting for WF means waiting a few more years at best. it's worth noting that baltimore's whole foods, on the edge of downtown in a new development, was lured in by a a generous lease that didn't lock them in for ten years (and possibly charged them very little in the beginning).
PlanPhilly | Planning Commission recommends zoning approvals for new Whole Foods

looks like late spring
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/neighborhoods-city/prpoposed-market-square-grocery-may-open-in-late-spring-702827/
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Here's my idea:

1.) This upscale Dean & DeLuca-esque grocer should do well near Market Square catering to the generally more affluent crowd working at PPG Plaza, the new PNC Tower, the upscale residences in the surrounding blocks, and tourists.

2.) A second more reasonably-priced small grocer (perhaps a Giant Eagle Express?) would do well near the Civic Arena to cater to those along the Grant Street Corridor, Chatham Center, Duquesne University, Uptown, Crawford Square, and Mercy Hospital. There's more students, lower- and middle-income elderly, and generally more middle-class people in general around here whereas the majority paying their $1,500/month rent and/or $500,000 for a condo nearer to Market Square could easily afford to patronize the expensive market.
not to get too far off the beaten path but the corner of 10th and south in philly has a super fresh (A&P) and whole foods right across from each other. WF has much better (and more expensive) produce while Superfresh has better sales, particularly on big brand items. and to add to your point, the development o the civic arena should add a large contingent of residents and potentially workers.

if the north shore weren't in incompetent hands I'd say TJ's would be a good fit there. is it possible to retrofit the garage for one? park there, catch the T for free, and pick something up on the way back. then there's parking on non-game days. the only problem might be the difficulty in parking on game days. allegheny center mall would also be a good location for a store if they ever get rid of that atrocity

Last edited by pman; 09-12-2013 at 07:53 AM..

Old 09-12-2013, 07:08 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,669,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
Lol at Giant Eagle being considered "reasonably-priced". Well, I guess compared to a Dean & DeLuca type place, I guess it would be more reasonable.

The space where this grocer will go is not particularly large (the former Ciao Baby) but a good location. Market Square has become a popular destination, both for lunch and the evenings. I will surely check it out.

Wonder what this means for the quickly emptying PPG food court? The building seems to have made no effort to replace any of the businesses that have left (and actually pushed out some of those who left). That is prime space, good foot traffic. I hope they do something with it. At first I thought a Whole Foods there would be silly in that location. But now that I think about it, I would probably patronize it quite a bit (though this is coming from someone who has never been in a Whole Foods) for lunches and picking up items for after work.
There's a ton of Downtown workers who live in the South Hills, such as yourself, and commute. The South Hills doesn't have a Whole Foods (yet), which means a good portion of those might consider dropping down to pick up some items before hopping onto the "T" or into their cars. I firmly believe that company WILL be planning a third local location, given that their East Liberty location has proven to be so profitable that they are expanding it vertically. With that being said if they locate in the South Hills I don't foresee them putting one Downtown and vice-versa. I also think Trader Joe's will either expand into the North Hills OR consider Downtown in the next few years (at which point they'd scrap any idea for a North Hills location). I don't personally shop at Trader Joe's because the East Liberty location is always overcrowded.

P.S. I also don't happen to think Giant Eagle is "cheap" but many locals would disagree with us, judging by all of the people I see who think the money they save via their "Fuel Perks" more than accounts for the elevated grocery prices they pay to earn those.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:15 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,226,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I think that a grocer could do best up on the old Civic Arena site.
There was talk a few years back of a Wal Mart Supercenter going there, but I have no idea if it is even being considered anymore.

That would take care of everything.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:19 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,145,807 times
God I hope not. There is no need for a massive walmart and what a waste of space that would be. Also, remember there are plans for the old civic arena site.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:30 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,188,761 times
I wouldn't mind a Target there if it is integrated well into the development plans. But I'd think that would be a real long shot. Might go a long way to attract people to live downtown.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:12 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,269,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
God I hope not. There is no need for a massive walmart and what a waste of space that would be. Also, remember there are plans for the old civic arena site.

Maybe not a massive Wal-Mart, but a medium sized store with a large assortment of groceries would be helpful.

Back in the day, town had a lively shopping scene- particularly with its five and dimes (Grant's, Murphy's, McCrory's and Woolworth's) and Wal-Mart's presence in town would help fill that void for inexpensive merchandise for the hoi polloi.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:18 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,921,384 times
They are already planning on putting a WF in the South Hills. Unless it has been cancelled, I believe it is going in across from the new Target at the Village.

I will shop at any store they put in downtown. There are days I am missing one ingredient for a meal at home, and have to drive to a grocery store after getting off the bus. Shopping for food at one of the 1200 CVS stores in the area is not really an option in my mind. I try to shop as little as possible a place that pushes the disease causing products (smokes and junk food) at the front of the store and the medicines to fix the problem in the back.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:47 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,834,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
I wouldn't mind a Target there if it is integrated well into the development plans. But I'd think that would be a real long shot. Might go a long way to attract people to live downtown.
a city target (smaller) might be an option at some point. most of the big chains operate on census data though. I believe downtown population is pegged at 8600 or so, growing over 2000 in the last couple years. enough to encourage a small store to open but it may take a few more years of growth to entice a big one to open. certainly a city target would be a better use of the old sak's than a heavily subsidized parking lot.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:09 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,096,236 times
Bring back Donahoe's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh