Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 08:47 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,965 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info Hopes. I'll go to Petco on Sat and contact HCMT. I'll do everything in my power to catch the whole family.

Just a parenthesis out here: there is a feral cat in the neighborhood. It is a black fluffy cat (aka long hair) that I and few other neighbors fed. Personally I let this cat stay in my shed and fed her regularly in that winter when we had lots of snow, forgot what year it was, but you remember the snowmagedon. That cat is still living in the neighborhood. So my point is we do have feral cats out there. However, when I catch the family I'll take them to a no kill shelter so they wont be put to sleep. I know they exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 08:55 AM

Animal Friends seems to be a non kill shelter. If not I'm taking them to HS of Washington PA. I'll do everything in my power to do whats best for them.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:16 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Animal Friends seems to be a non kill shelter. If not I'm taking them to HS of Washington PA. I'll do everything in my power to do whats best for them.
Animal Friends sometimes has a waiting list based on space. And "no kill" is a meaningless term whenever it is taken to its logical end. Actual "no kill shelters" get to call themselves this because they, typically, only take animals that are more easily adoptable on the surface. They often don't take sick animals, elderly animals (unless they're an in demand purebred), animals with behavioral issues, and so on. And many no kill shelters, if an animal sits around for a long time without being adopted, they just transfer them to a kill shelter. On top of the fact that many animals go crazy if they're kept in a shelter for too long, if they can't be moved to a foster location. Being in a shelter for many months or years is not a fulfilling or healthy life.

The world of animal rescue is not a simple one, and pure "no kill" sounds good, but it's not realistic. Quality open door shelters (the ones who will take in every animal, no matter what) are the ones that do the hardest work because the animals in the most need are owned by "people" who won't jump ANY hurdles when getting rid of their animals. As soon as you present owners like that with a waiting list, or an interview process, or anything like that, they'll just as soon abandon them alongside the road or leave them behind in their house. This is extremely common. Even something as simple as having drop off hours is too much for some cruel owners. Venango County Humane Society has had to deal with people literally killing their animals in their parking lot because they have limited open hours. Rather than come back when the HS was open, people just kill them. My dog Jake came from there, and he was just dropped off whenever they were closed, rather than the owner bringing him in when they were open.

TL;DR:

Regardless, kittens, if they're socialized, don't have a hard time being adopted, especially compared to older cats. Animal Rescue League does not kill except for sickness and severe behavioural issues (and they have worked to rehabilitate a lot of animals on behaviour, so they are not quick to make that decision).

The important thing right now is if they're not socialized soon, there's not a "no kill" shelter in the world who will take them to be adopted out, and other shelters won't be able to do a thing for them if they're wild.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:32 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,666,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
Actual "no kill shelters" get to call themselves this because they, typically, only take animals that are more easily adoptable on the surface. They often don't take sick animals, elderly animals (unless they're an in demand purebred), animals with behavioral issues, and so on. And many no kill shelters, if an animal sits around for a long time without being adopted, they just transfer them to a kill shelter. On top of the fact that many animals go crazy if they're kept in a shelter for too long, if they can't be moved to a foster location. Being in a shelter for many months or years is not a fulfilling or healthy life.
First you cite Animal Friends, then you go on with this. It is important to note that Animal Friends does not in fact fit this stereotype. They take on all kinds of difficult things. The one thing they do not take on, it is true, is trying to take in every single person's drop off for every reason. Thus, for owner giving up, they have a waiting list. But Animal Friends is the hub of humane investigation so they end up with all the hoarding stuff, they take in lots of pit bulls (controversial to those not in the know about animals), they end up with plenty of elderly and behavioral issues and they don't transfer animals out to a kill shelter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
The world of animal rescue is not a simple one, and pure "no kill" sounds good, but it's not realistic. ...
It is outside the scope of this thread to delve too deeply into this, but suffice to say, some of this is in dispute. Well, apart from the fact that the world of animal rescue is not a simple one. That much I think is true.

Note I do believe the Animal Rescue League in general also does a very good job. I do not want to make this out as some kind of popularity contest or that one shelter's programs and policies are better than the other. The absolute ideal is probably some combination of the two. As said, the situation is not a simple one.

In the scope of this thread, it may be useful to be in touch with both places. It's also worth noting that Animal Friends does have a "Working Cats" program for some cats they are caring for who wouldn't work out as house pets. They try to place them as barn cats, that sort of thing.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
It's also worth noting that Animal Friends does have a "Working Cats" program for some cats they are caring for who wouldn't work out as house pets. They try to place them as barn cats, that sort of thing.
What a great program! Working Cats - Animal Friends The working cats aren't fully feral though. The OP needs to catch these kittens to socialize them because they will be put to sleep if they remain fully feral. That's just a fact. They won't even qualify for catch and release since they aren't acclimated to outside living and don't have a colony.

So far, she has received no viable assistance from Animal Friends regarding the feral kittens. As a result, she needs to try another department at Animal Friends and call all of the other shelters and organizations until she finds someone who will advise her. I'm interested in hearing what she learned while she was at Petco today.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
First you cite Animal Friends, then you go on with this. It is important to note that Animal Friends does not in fact fit this stereotype. They take on all kinds of difficult things. The one thing they do not take on, it is true, is trying to take in every single person's drop off for every reason. Thus, for owner giving up, they have a waiting list. But Animal Friends is the hub of humane investigation so they end up with all the hoarding stuff, they take in lots of pit bulls (controversial to those not in the know about animals), they end up with plenty of elderly and behavioral issues and they don't transfer animals out to a kill shelter.

It is outside the scope of this thread to delve too deeply into this, but suffice to say, some of this is in dispute. Well, apart from the fact that the world of animal rescue is not a simple one. That much I think is true.

Note I do believe the Animal Rescue League in general also does a very good job. I do not want to make this out as some kind of popularity contest or that one shelter's programs and policies are better than the other. The absolute ideal is probably some combination of the two. As said, the situation is not a simple one.

In the scope of this thread, it may be useful to be in touch with both places. It's also worth noting that Animal Friends does have a "Working Cats" program for some cats they are caring for who wouldn't work out as house pets. They try to place them as barn cats, that sort of thing.
I mentioned Animal Friends first because Xrite mentioned them. After that, the rest of the post was addressing Xrite's next statement that if they don't work out in terms of placing the cats, she would then go to the next "no kill shelter" she could find to the exclusion of all others, and therefore the rest of my reply was in terms of this part of the post, addressing no kill shelters in general. "No kill shelters" shouldn't be focused on to the exclusion of other shelters that do fantastic, humane work. It's an issue that the average person does not understand whatsoever and has become twisted, by society in general and not by all individuals (I feel like this is necessary to specify), as "no kill = good, everyone else = bad" when that can't be further from the truth. Context matters, and I did not say "Animal Friends does this and Animal Friends does that," outside of them having a waiting list and an evaluation for animals brought to them by regular people. They do not take all animals.

The reality is that time is of the essence and Xrite is getting ahead of themselves in terms of where the kittens can be placed when the kittens have never been so much as touched by a human yet. Hopefully she comes back soon since, like Hopes, I'm interested to see if she got in touch with the cat specific humane group (who I imagine would have a ton of great advice). A lot of time has passed, and it's continuing to pass really, really quickly.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:43 PM

Guys thanks for the information. It makes me sick that some people would kill their animals in the parking lot. this is INSANE. I'd put in jail these people.

I set traps for kitties. This week I.m going to solve the problem. If the kitties are feral I'd keep them for a while - I'll take them home - to try to tame them. I'd love to become a foster cat mom.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Guys thanks for the information. It makes me sick that some people would kill their animals in the parking lot. this is INSANE. I'd put in jail these people.

I set traps for kitties. This week I.m going to solve the problem. If the kitties are feral I'd keep them for a while - I'll take them home - to try to tame them. I'd love to become a foster cat mom.
Keep us updated. Is there any evidence that the kittens are currently coming out of the ducts or wherever they are hidden yet? They're getting to the age where it's maybe possible, but I'm curious.

You're awesome for being committed to helping them.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:33 AM

Other than heavy use of the litterbox and more food being eaten there is no evidence because I dont live there. I go to the house to feed the cats and take the trash out and so is my neighbour but everything looks cat free. If it wasnt for the food and litter box you wouldnt say there are cats in the house.

My contractor spends more time in there working but he makes noises and Im sure the cats are scared, but there is nothing I can do. I'll let you know. Cant wait to play with kitties.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
If and when you trap them, the kittens need to stay together so they can learn social boundaries. My kitten struggles with understanding what's acceptable since she didn't have littermates since 4 to 6 weeks old. If you only catch one, that's okay because being socialized with humans is more important at this age. Having more than one is ideal though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh