Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 01:09 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,899,818 times

Advertisements

Nice. Now, how long until this comes to Pgh?

Philadelphia Passes Sweeping LGBT-Inclusive Reform | Advocate.com

A new piece of legislation aims to make Philadelphia one of the most LGBT-friendly cities in the world, according to Mayor Michael Nutter.

The bill, which Nutter signed into law Thursday, which mandates that all new or renovated city-owned buildings include gender-neutral restrooms in addition to men's and women's bathrooms, offers tax credits to companies that provide LGBT-inclusive employee benefits, amends the city's nondiscrimination ordinance to be inclusive of gender identity, and offers some relationship recognition rights for same-sex couples.
Moderator cut: quote shortened, copyright protection

Philadelphia Passes Sweeping LGBT-Inclusive Reform | Advocate.com

Last edited by Yac; 10-29-2013 at 05:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 01:29 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,968,698 times
This could probably come up in Peduto's first term once it begins in January. It helps that the Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce was behind it, and it's probable that the business community here would also support.

The bigger issue is Pennsylvania wallowing as a backwater as the only northeastern state without marriage equality. That is an embarassment. With guys like Daryl Metcalf (R-Cranberry) in power, we may remain a backwater for some time.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:52 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,886,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
The bigger issue is Pennsylvania wallowing as a backwater as the only northeastern state without marriage equality. That is an embarassment. With guys like Daryl Metcalf (R-Cranberry) in power, we may remain a backwater for some time.
While I'm all for marriage equality & think the Philadelphia initiative is a good one (though the gender neutral bathrooms is a bit of a stretch), saying that 1 issue that directly effects a very small percentage of the population itself makes PA a wallowing backwater in general is a bit of a ridiculous assertion.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:52 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,699,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Agreed. If PA doesn't solve the horrible gerrymandering job that has been stuck to us by the GOP soon, I don't have a lot of hope for state-wide improvements.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:57 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,146,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
While I'm all for marriage equality & think the Philadelphia initiative is a good one (though the gender neutral bathrooms is a bit of a stretch), saying that 1 issue that directly effects a very small percentage of the population itself makes PA a wallowing backwater in general is a bit of a ridiculous assertion.
I mean... (a) This is certainly not the sole example of backwardness in the state of Pennsylvania. And (b) the estimate of gay population in the U.S. is something like 5-10%, I believe. Jewish people are about 2%, if I recall. If a state explicitly barred Jewish people from marriage... yeah, that would be a backwater. I don't see a massive distinction here, but I'm an unapologetic lefty.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:57 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,968,698 times
It affects more than just the gay community. Discrimination is bad for business and for everyone else. Companies want to hire the best people, and they will be at a disadvantage if those people don't want to live in a state without marriage equality when the neighboring state has it.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:00 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
If you're a part of this minority group, though, as I happen to be, then it really sours your opinion on the Commonwealth in general when the electorate here has consistently elected admittedly homophobic people such as Metcalfe, Santorum, Corbett, etc. into positions of power.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:24 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,886,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
If you're a part of this minority group, though, as I happen to be, then it really sours your opinion on the Commonwealth in general when the electorate here has consistently elected admittedly homophobic people such as Metcalfe, Santorum, Corbett, etc. into positions of power.
I agree absolutely, if I was directly affected this would be at the top of issues that concern me too; I was merely pointing out that any one issue doesn't make you a. 'backwater'; if that was the case then most of the rest of the planet would likewise be a 'backwater' as well

Old 10-28-2013, 03:51 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,828,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
metcalfe does not hold statewide office, santorum lost his, and corbett didn't run on it

Old 10-28-2013, 04:11 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Hey ... excuse a lurker from Philly joining in.

The positive pro-LGBT initiatives here in The City Of Brotherly Love And Sisterly Affection did not happen overnight. It took years of community organizating, political action, building alliances with other communities, education, activism. Many people are not aware that the very first gay rights demonstration in America took place in this city in 1965 ... four years before the Stonewall Uprising. We are either the first or second city in North America to have an LGBT-friendly senior affordable housing facility.

I've only been to The 'Burgh (what we Philly people call it) once years ago and was thoroughly impressed ... in fact your city is much more beautiful than ours because of it's topography and physical setting, and the people are friendlier and more polite. Your museums and cultural amenities would give credit to a much larger and more important city.

Here's an idea: let's do something to p-ss off Daryl Metcalfe royally!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh