Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 02:16 AM

11 posts, read 58,092 times

Advertisements

Anyone have experience with getting a taxi after midnight on New Years? Just going from the City to Scott Twp. any ideas how much and how hard to it is to get a taxi?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 05:36 AM

632 posts, read 1,071,258 times
Good luck!

In all seriousness it'll be a real crap-shoot. Also depends on where in the city you're looking to leave from. Your best bet is to swipe a cab at the cab-stand at one of the hotels. Otherwise, good luck.

Also, if southside=the city in this instance then just start walking.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:48 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Taxi service is dreadful here so if there's a chance of setting up alternative transportation I would suggest doing so.

I'm especially bitter towards yellow cab at the moment as 2 weeks ago I was the best man in a wedding & reserved 2 cabs that were needed to get to the church. Called again the morning of to confirm & they never arrived. Dispatcher didn't care & just said oh well that usually happens.
The other 2 cab companies, classy cab & veterans cab are both owned/run by yellow cab so they have a monopoly on the service.

Specifically to your situation if you were planning on cabbing back home there's a slim chance a cab will take a fare back to Scott.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:00 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
Start walking.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:28 AM

674 posts, read 1,413,079 times
Find a friend to be your designated driver. Pay them if necessary. Cabs are ridiculously difficult to get (outside of cab stands at the major hotels). Getting them to drive to you to the suburbs on a holiday (i.e. no return fare to the city) may also be a challenge.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:46 AM

458 posts, read 656,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post
Good luck!

In all seriousness it'll be a real crap-shoot. Also depends on where in the city you're looking to leave from. Your best bet is to swipe a cab at the cab-stand at one of the hotels. Otherwise, good luck.

Also, if southside=the city in this instance then just start walking.
We were going to a Penguins game one night, and thought I'd be smart and call the cab company at 12:30pm to see if I could schedule a cab to pick us up at 6:30pm. The unpleasant moron who answered the phone said I had to call back no earlier than an hour before we wanted to be picked up. So, called back at 5:30, and they couldn't tell me if anyone was in the area or not. We waited, waited, and waited. We ended up taking the bus. The cab company called at 7:05pm saying they were out in front of our house. We of course, were already at the game. Unbelievable.

I just told my wife the other day that I would love to be a cab driver. I love to drive and love that I seem to be above average in knowing my way around.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:51 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
We have taxis?

Old 11-19-2013, 09:19 AM

632 posts, read 1,071,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
We have taxis?
They're the occasional yellow car with the nudie bar sign thingy on top.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:46 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Your best option might be to call a Vocelli's in Greentree right before they stop delivering for the night, get a pizza delivered to you, then pay the driver $100 to wait around and be your designated ride. It'll be more reliable than a cab anyway :-)

Old 11-19-2013, 01:28 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
The other 2 cab companies, classy cab & veterans cab are both owned/run by yellow cab so they have a monopoly on the service.
This keeps getting repeated on here and is not true. Classy Cab and Veterans Taxi (and Cranberry Taxi) are in fact owned by Yellow's arch enemy. Yellow is useless and I don't know if these guys are any better but they aren't the same. They fight all the time, Yellow tried to keep them from expanding. Classy/Veterans/Cranberry have a lot fewer cars so Yellow will still seem like a monopoly.

Scheduling a cab or hoping to stumble upon one is still a crapshoot though. I like the pizza driver idea.

You could always hire an actual limo for some real fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh