Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 02:55 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times

Advertisements

The city police certainly don't do a lot of speeding enforcement, that is true. In over 20 years I just haven't seen too many city cops with traffic stops of any kind.

I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, this is good. A lot of the enforcement that I see in surrounding communities is of the easy pickins variety, as in let's go out and run up some tickets today at a spot where we know a lot of xyz technical violations exist without regard to whether the spot is accident prone. (Since they don't get to use the super easy radar for speeding, they sometimes do it with other stuff during evening rush hour and so forth.) I don't find that to be particularly desirable. On the other hand, at a spot that IS accident prone, be it with vehicles or pedestrians, that is where some focused enforcement of speeding, red lights, stop signs, tailgating, whatever would be a good thing.

The city is going to get red light cameras, and this is not likely to be a good thing because in most cases they'll go up in spots that aren't particularly prone to any accidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 03:15 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
The city police certainly don't do a lot of speeding enforcement, that is true. In over 20 years I just haven't seen too many city cops with traffic stops of any kind.

I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, this is good. A lot of the enforcement that I see in surrounding communities is of the easy pickins variety, as in let's go out and run up some tickets today at a spot where we know a lot of xyz technical violations exist without regard to whether the spot is accident prone. (Since they don't get to use the super easy radar for speeding, they sometimes do it with other stuff during evening rush hour and so forth.) I don't find that to be particularly desirable. On the other hand, at a spot that IS accident prone, be it with vehicles or pedestrians, that is where some focused enforcement of speeding, red lights, stop signs, tailgating, whatever would be a good thing.

The city is going to get red light cameras, and this is not likely to be a good thing because in most cases they'll go up in spots that aren't particularly prone to any accidents.
red light cameras don't stop speeding. they just cause more accident and are just revenue for the city. I'd know, driving many years in DC and the suburbs of MD (Bethesda)

I've talked to a cop about this one day and from what he said is "we got bigger things to focus on, like gun violence, the gangs than dealing with traffic duties. doesn't help we are understaffed so as long as it isn't something so blatantly wrong, most city cops won't pull you over...unless you fit a certain profile of a vehicle who was spotted leaving a scene of a crime".

Old 01-11-2014, 03:30 PM

387 posts, read 408,592 times
I was in traffic court one day for speeding of course. There was a guy in front of me who got pulled over on Banksville for speeding via radar. Anyways they guy said that the cop mentioned that it was malfunctioning (30mph over) and to go and fight it and that he wouldn't show up. Upon hearing this the judge was heated. Asked if anyone else got stopped on that day. About 8 other people stood up. All of their tix were thrown out. The city doesn't have the manpower or financial resources to enforce all traffic laws. Unless you're shooting an AK out you're window speeding is looked at the same as littering.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:10 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomchee View Post
I was in traffic court one day for speeding of course. There was a guy in front of me who got pulled over on Banksville for speeding via radar. Anyways they guy said that the cop mentioned that it was malfunctioning (30mph over) and to go and fight it and that he wouldn't show up. Upon hearing this the judge was heated. Asked if anyone else got stopped on that day. About 8 other people stood up. All of their tix were thrown out. The city doesn't have the manpower or financial resources to enforce all traffic laws. Unless you're shooting an AK out you're window speeding is looked at the same as littering.

I see this issue as a two sided sword. on one hand, if they enforced it the cities revenue would increase. The other side will have this forum filled with complaints of yinzers who now are much poorer due to "excessive speeding tickets".

Old 01-11-2014, 05:42 PM

458 posts, read 656,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomchee View Post
I believe it!

Old 01-11-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
I've talked to a cop about this one day and from what he said is "we got bigger things to focus on, like gun violence, the gangs than dealing with traffic duties. doesn't help we are understaffed so as long as it isn't something so blatantly wrong, most city cops won't pull you over...unless you fit a certain profile of a vehicle who was spotted leaving a scene of a crime".
Just like Boomchee's post, I believe this to be the mindset of Pittsburgh police and any other police force in a city this size or larger. I remember being pulled over by Erie Police in the early 2000's for having an expired inspection sticker by a day. Crime has become a much bigger issue in Erie, I wouldn't be afraid to bet the police force there operates with the same mindset.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:16 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Because it's nothing but a money maker.
Only if people are speeding. If people drive the "limit", it doesn't make a dime.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:51 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
As a city resident this is certainly an approach to policing that I am happy with. I don't care if someone safely makes a turn on red at a "no turn on red" intersection, or if they are going 55 on Route 65 when the speed limit is 40, or if someone stops at a green light in Oakland for 7 seconds to drop someone off. Those things can be annoying; but in the grand scheme of things they are not that big of a deal. If the choice is between ticketing minor traffic offenses and preventing violence and vandalism it's an easy choice to make.

Last edited by ferraris; 01-11-2014 at 07:14 PM..

Old 01-13-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
As a city resident this is certainly an approach to policing that I am happy with. I don't care if someone safely makes a turn on red at a "no turn on red" intersection, or if they are going 55 on Route 65 when the speed limit is 40, or if someone stops at a green light in Oakland for 7 seconds to drop someone off. Those things can be annoying; but in the grand scheme of things they are not that big of a deal. If the choice is between ticketing minor traffic offenses and preventing violence and vandalism it's an easy choice to make.
I just think it's too bad we can't have total enforcement, no matter how minor or major the crime.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I often find people that complain about this are the type of drivers that insist on going 30 over the speed limit.
On my morning commute to Warrendale, most drivers are driving at least 70-75 mph. People in this region are to afraid of the police monitoring the speed on interstates. I pass a PA State Trooper on the turnpike multiple times a week doing anywhere from 70-74, often with him pointing his radar gun at me, with no issues at all.

The passing lane is to pass. You'll encounter slower drivers and faster drivers in it. Just make your pass and keep moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh