Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 10:42 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh K-9 officer Rocco's funeral will now be open to public | www.wpxi.com

I like dogs as much as the next person, probably more so. I like dogs better than I like most people. But I think they are going a bit overboard here with Rocco. I can understand why his family is upset that he died. But he was a still just a dog, after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 10:45 AM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Agreed.
DH and I think this is sooooo over the top.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:20 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,663,296 times
Well I don't agree with the "just a dog" remarks. It's never just a dog or just a cat or such to the family. Pets are part of the family. Please don't ever tell anyone grieving for a pet that it was just an animal.

That said, I do agree that for the greater public this is WAY over the top. But I tend to think it for people as well. It surprised me how much people want to go to a memorial service for some random kid who died from being hit by a car, so I guess why not a police dog too. Same kind of mentality really I suppose.

I'm all for whatever works for people in grief. For me that's not a big memorial event, but I don't have a problem with that being the way many people handle it. How many people are truly in grief over Rocco though?

Old 02-02-2014, 11:48 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,164,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Pittsburgh K-9 officer Rocco's funeral will now be open to public | www.wpxi.com

I like dogs as much as the next person, probably more so. I like dogs better than I like most people. But I think they are going a bit overboard here with Rocco. I can understand why his family is upset that he died. But he was a still just a dog, after all.
I disagree. He was not 'just a dog'. The K9s work as other police officers do, going into dangerous and difficult situations. These dogs risk their lives so their human counterparts are protected. I am pretty sure that dogs have as strong a desire to live as people do.
I think it is nice they are acknowledging his service. It seems petty to worry about whether or not it is 'over the top' or not.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:04 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,816 times
On one hand, I think Rocco deserves to be memorialized. He gave his life and probably wasn't even aware he was putting his life on the line. On the other hand, I find it more than a little ironic that many people mourning for Rocco (including many of my friends on facebook) are the same who show little respect/regard for the human officers who put their lives on the line every day as well.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:13 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,721,051 times
I love animals and I respect what this dog did for the force.

With that being said, the cop worship that goes on in this city is overbearing and oftentimes ridiculous. It's pretty obvious that the 24/7 news coverage of this is gaining sympathy and positive images of our police force to overshadow the shameful press they have received in the past few years. People just eat it up without question too, it's disturbing.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:27 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
I am on the fence with all the coverage of the K-9. Lowering the flag seems to be over the top. On the other hand one of my best buddies was a K-9 cop, and that dog was amazing.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:38 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,898,206 times
So, who's going?

Old 02-02-2014, 09:59 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
I think it is bordering on the side of the coverage being too much as well. I don't have a problem with having the memorial, but making it public and having all of this coverage is a little too much for me. Society in general views animal and human life rather differently.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:27 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,901 times
The (human) police officer credited the dog with saving his life. Maybe a little over the top, but the dog was an officer slain in the line of duty. I heard that they are raising money for stab-proof vests for K9 officers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh