Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 02:31 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,192 times

Advertisements

I think that mall is too far gone for a movie theater to save it. The people with money have moved onto shopping at places they like better and won't go back. They would need to improve the infrastructure around the mall (the road between 51 and 885 is like a minefield. Nothing has been done to it in the 12 years that I have been in that area) the building, etc and then somehow hope stores would come back. Probably the next anchor store that leaves might set the wheels in motion. That area cannot support a mall anymore. Back when the mall was built, that West Mifflin - Jefferson area were popular bedroom communities mainly for the workers in all the mills. As those mills closed or reduced headcount, so did the growth. Add in the rise of the nearby Waterfront and South Hills Village and the decline of mall shopping habits, I think Century III is doomed.

I was last there in January 2013. I needed a tire fixed ASAP and I was on Route 51 right before the mall so I decided on Sears. They were dead on a weekday morning. I ventured out into the mall part and was just shocked. Just a mammoth ghost town. I had my kids with me and they loved it because they got to run around at what seemed like a giant park. I saw maybe only five other people as I walked from one end of the mall to the other and even checked out the Food Court. Employees there standing around. What a shame.

The whole mall needs re purposed, IMO. Either tear it all down or a part of it or do massive rehab, but time to turn it into something other than a mall. I thought of some sort of transit-entertainment center hybrid. In a perfect world, the Blue Line and/or South Busway would extend here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 02:51 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Not much of a surprise. Eastland Mall killed downtown McKeesport in the early 60s, Monroeville Mall killed Eastland and East Hills in the late 60s, the Waterfront has been an albatros for Century III since the late 90s. Also, there was a huge economic dislocation in southeastern Allegheny County with the collapse of the steel industry in the 1980s, which probably precipitated the eventual demise of Century III. Add to that the decline of malls around the country. The malls in higher-income areas, like Ross Park and South Hills Village, have been rebranded with higher-end retail, so it looks like they're going to be fine.
Ross Park Mall is doing just fine. Cars were parked all the way out to the perimeter road in front of both Nordstrom and the new outdoor addition (The Cheesecake Factory, L.L. Bean, etc.). I'm also glad that they got around to resurfacing and decorating McKnight Road a bit; when I went to Ross Park Mall six years ago, I felt that McKnight Road needed to look and be maintained better since it's the road that leads to the most upscale mall in the Pittsburgh area. I'm also happy to report that there appear to be fewer vacancies along it than there were six years ago, even in Ross Township despite the construction of McCandless Crossing and The Village at Pine.

I didn't get a chance to see South Hills Village, but I saw that the parking lot at the Galleria of Mt. Lebanon was pretty full, which is a good sign. The Mall at Robinson should be fine as long as the western suburbs are growing, and as long as people from Weirton and Steubenville go there for their "big city" shopping. The Waterfront should be fine as well, since it draws shoppers from the East End of the city. As for Century III Mall, it cannot coexist with The Waterfront, so I think it's about to join Eastland Mall and Parkway Center Mall. The Lebanon Church Road area can still be an important retail node, just not with a mall.

For as much as people lament the supposed "decline" of Monroeville and its mall, William Penn Highway not only looked busy, but it also looked well-kept for a commercial drag, and there are fewer vacancies along it now than there were 10 years ago. The only area dealing with obvious vacancies right now is near Penn Center in Wilkins Township. Sears, Circuit City and Hooters have all closed, leaving only Home Depot and Pep Boys open at the western end of the Hall Station Bridge. It's also interesting to note that even though some of the car dealerships have migrated east of the Pennsylvania Turnpike, there hasn't been a flood of businesses following them, so most of the action is still west of the Turnpike.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:21 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,390,448 times
I have been shocked at pgh mills. The 10 times or so i stopped there it has been dead. I dont know why they built it.

Century 3 was the place to be when i was in high school.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:27 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,799,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I have been shocked at pgh mills. The 10 times or so i stopped there it has been dead. I dont know why they built it.

Century 3 was the place to be when i was in high school.
The biggest problem for Pittsburgh Mills has been Rt 28. Now that it has been upgraded to a true highway, we will see if business improves. It will be much easier to get to, but the real thing that will tell the tale, is if the improvements to 28 spurs a building boom in the Allegheny Valley. The townships in the northeast corner of the county is the most undeveloped area left that is fairly close to the city. If it gets built up, the Mills, and the stores around it will do much better.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:33 PM

65 posts, read 87,814 times
I think the Pittsburgh Mills would have been substantially more successful if it had a more traditional (more rectangular) design like Robinson or Ross Park. I think it's harder to find stores if you aren't familiar with it or don't like walking in circles.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:36 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,390,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinsFan View Post
I think the Pittsburgh Mills would have been substantially more successful if it had a more traditional (more rectangular) design like Robinson or Ross Park. I think it's harder to find stores if you aren't familiar with it or don't like walking in circles.
That is spot on, it is a pain getting around. I can be in and out of south hills in 15 min. It takes that long to get between stores.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:11 AM

248 posts, read 326,284 times
It seems like the strip mall portion of Pittsburgh Mills is always pretty busy but the mall itself is a ghost town. A lot of vacancies and for some reason a ton of shoe stores. The movie theater seems to do fairly well but I don't know why they thought they should put an old-school mall in there.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:51 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,963,947 times
If memory serves me correct, the original plan for Pittsburgh Mills was that it was to be a huge outlet-type destination mall with an indoor Nascar track, hi-tech bowling alley, and some other types of family entertainment stuff. The original developer got into financial trouble or some dispute after construction started and somebody else took over and they had to drop most of the attractions that would have drawn people from a larger geographic area.

So the development that is there today is nothing like it was originally planned. I'll have to see if I can find some old newspaper archives of exactly what happened. My memory is fuzzy after all these years.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:59 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,709 times
wait,t heres a mall at the mills? I thought it was just all outside type of businesses?

where the hell have I been going to (other than to sonic and best buy)?

Old 06-19-2014, 09:05 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,256,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
wait,t heres a mall at the mills? I thought it was just all outside type of businesses?

where the hell have I been going to (other than to sonic and best buy)?

Macy's and Penney's are connected by the huge mall on the right hand side after you get off 28.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh