Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 08:07 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,898,719 times

Advertisements

Anytime you have this (happened just this weekend), its now time to admit the Flats has serious problem on it's hands.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 08:19 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
So one person goes nuts in a Jeep and that means the entire area has a serious problem. It is folks like yourself that perpetuate the hyped up, shock value driven media we now have. Considering the sheer volume of people that go out down there, I think it is pretty mellow for the most part, now that they got rid of a few lowlife bars that were always an issue. Stop falling for all the shock value reporting. There are TONS of people that go to the South Side on weekends and for the most part, there are no real issues. This was a rare occurrence, not the norm.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:26 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
I'm impressed how well bystanders handled the situation.

They didn't beat the crap out of the guy. It didn't turn into a riot.

They were calmer than I would have been if someone did that to my car.

FYI: You only need to watch the first couple of minutes. The rest is uneventful with the cameraman saying "Dude, I've got 90% of this on tape" over and over again.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:28 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,898,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
So one person goes nuts in a Jeep and that means the entire area has a serious problem. It is folks like yourself that perpetuate the hyped up, shock value driven media we now have. Considering the sheer volume of people that go out down there, I think it is pretty mellow for the most part, now that they got rid of a few lowlife bars that were always an issue. Stop falling for all the shock value reporting. There are TONS of people that go to the South Side on weekends and for the most part, there are no real issues. This was a rare occurrence, not the norm.
I love your ability to have selective outrage on certain.... Now we all know had person been a person of Color, your reaction would've been quite the opposite of "No Real Issues".... GMFB, SSF has a serious problem with Drunks after the Bars close, and this is just the tipping point.

You're a special piece of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm impressed how well bystanders handled the situation.

They didn't beat the crap out of the guy. It didn't turn into a riot.

They were calmer than I would have been if someone did that to my car.
Maybe because the police were right there, if they taken longer who know how far it would've escalated

Old 04-20-2014, 08:35 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,205,092 times
Already been posted:

Pittsburgh Drivers in Action

(Curtis must've forgotten that he replied in that thread too.)

And if the Jeep had hit someone on a bicycle, I'm sure he'd have been suitably outraged...

Old 04-20-2014, 08:38 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I love your ability to have selective outrage on certain.... Now we all know had person been a person of Color, your reaction would've been quite the opposite of "No Real Issues".... GMFB, SSF has a serious problem with Drunks after the Bars close, and this is just the tipping point.

You're a special piece of work.

Actually, the person identified by police as the driver in this incident appears to be a person of Color from their picture on myspace.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:46 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,884,976 times
And he's from the 'burbs.

I personally don't see an incident where a nut drives down a busy state road like an out if control moron indicative that that area has problems, just like last year when another nut tried to use Carson St at 2am as his getaway route from the crime he was committing in Homestead who got shot & likewise had people yelling 'see, the southside is so bad'.

If anything the Flats have gotten much better over the last year since the problem establishments have been shuddered for the most part.

Maybe just close Carson st on fri & sat nights to vehicular traffic.

Last edited by UKyank; 04-20-2014 at 08:57 AM..

Old 04-20-2014, 09:20 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,985,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Maybe because the police were right there, if they taken longer who know how far it would've escalated
Carson street is loaded with cops on weekend nights. There's pretty much no chance of not having a police response to something this serious within a minute or two, even if nobody calls 911.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:45 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,547,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Carson street is loaded with cops on weekend nights. There's pretty much no chance of not having a police response to something this serious within a minute or two, even if nobody calls 911.
They Pittsburgh Police Dept should charge the bars in the SS for this cost.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:49 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,884,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
They Pittsburgh Police Dept should charge the bars in the SS for this cost.
Indirectly they do via taxes they pay on all the income they generate for the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh