Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 08:01 AM
CFP CFP started this thread

475 posts, read 625,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
"more hype!"
that's exactly what it is
he bought it - so what, it's still an empty eyesore

dolan bought the properties across from target years ago
nothing has changed there other than the titles

throwing money around does not make a neighborhood

people driving to the parking lot at whole foods, home depot or target
also does not make a neighborhood

people walking up and down penn shopping, eating, seeing shows, etc.,
that would make a neighborhood but that is nowhere near happening
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 09:24 AM

75 posts, read 102,062 times
I can only pray this development looks better than the bland and tasteless "Bovie House" on Ellsworth. What a waste.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:43 AM
CFP CFP started this thread

475 posts, read 625,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendsheep View Post
I can only pray this development looks better than the bland and tasteless "Bovie House" on Ellsworth. What a waste.
speaking of bovie house, like ELP North i see a new apartment building with ground floor retail that's mainly vacant

then again, who needs ground floor retail like the former rollier's hardware store on walnut
or the former engels fruit and vegetable market in squirrel hill when you have big box behemoths like home depot and giant eagle

Old 03-26-2014, 10:33 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,811,641 times
CFP's point is that development in East Liberty will bear no fruit and we'll be left with a destroyed East Liberty mark II. The problem is that he makes his points in such a hyperbolic manner that he undermines himself. My impression is that s/he doesn't even want East Liberty to revive, I see no "I think think will be terrible but I hope I am wrong" type sentiment from him, just an endless series of "East Liberty is DOOMED" posts, which definitely does not help foster an environment of civil discussion. Any follow-up "You guys are so awful" posts from others help to further destroy any sense of civil discussion.

As for me, although it would be foolish to think that EVERY project in East Liberty will succeed as originally envisioned, and though we have already seen some announced projects fall through for various reasons, it seems very plain to me that the current level of investment from private companies and the success of such projects as the Target and Whole Foods/Eastside development is that those who are putting their money on the line disagree with CFP's assessment of East Liberty's long-term prospects. Sure, people could suddenly stop going to Target and one of the most profitable Whole Foods in the country could suddenly cease to be so, but everything points in one direction and one direction only. Unlike the infamous 60's encircling of East Liberty that was a part of one massive project and involved more destruction than construction, what is happening in East Liberty now is happening piecemeal and largely at the initiative of individual actors. The East Liberty of 2020 will be nowhere near what it was in 2000, and many people new to the area in the future will likely be amazed in hearing of the neighborhood's former state.

The East Liberty of 1970 would be a fairer comparison to a Chinese Ghost City as it resulted from a massive, singular project that created an environment that people stayed away from. What is happening now is so very different, you cannot compare the two.

fini

Old 03-26-2014, 10:55 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,936,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP View Post
thanks you and don't be concerned about me being banned - i know how to keep it civil
like i have said many times before i am born and bred in this neighborhood
and have many fond memories of having meals, shopping and seeing movies in EL as a kid
it would be great if the area could be returned to that state - i'd be the first one to celebrate it
I agree. I'm known as an optimist on this forum and although we have differing ideas at least you've backed up your opinions with facts and for that you are reputable IMO.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:19 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,837,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendsheep View Post
While I like the density... and it replaced junk... it is a truly hideous building...

Old 03-26-2014, 01:25 PM

What did the Bovie House replace? I believe it was under construction when I moved here.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:26 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,837,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
What did the Bovie House replace? I believe it was under construction when I moved here.
A shed or something like that. That corner along with the Fuel-On convenience store had long been a pocket of blight.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:29 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,983,203 times
The Bovie House replaced Bovie Electronics, which was a business that primarily sold to contractors, which is why it never seemed to be open. Years ago the building was a Thorofare supermarket and still looked like a market until the day they tore it down.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
A shed or something like that. That corner along with the Fuel-On convenience store had long been a pocket of blight.
It's hard to think of any blight in Shadyside now that that house on Walnut between Ivy and Negley is gone. Perhaps the former Articulation at Ellsworth and Spahr is about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh