Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 03:58 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbyoyo View Post
Oh my God, don't tell me I have to give up Mexican food. I've read most of this thread in great interest, as a lover of both authentic and Tex-Mex deliciousness. I'm looking at the current locals to review so I know where to go when I land myself in the city.
If enchiladas, tacos, quesadillas, fajitas, burritos are your thing, you'll enjoy what's here.

There are plenty of Mexican places around here that do a fine job with the standard combo plate menu shared by 98% of all US Mexican restaurants. Most people here are perfectly fine with what's available - and what you can get here for Mexican food is pretty similar to what you get in most larger cities.

Don't judge Pittsburgh's Mexican food scene based on any opinions I've stated or those few who agree with me. I imagine I'm probably the biggest critic of Pittsburgh's Mexican restaurants not because of "authenticity" but because of lack of diversity in the menus. I don't expect "authenticity" because it can't be achieved outside Mexico. Mexican cooking is a passion of mine as I've lived there and what's on menus here is just a tiny sampling of what could be here. I'd be just as dissatisfied in Austin, Santa Fe or Los Angeles as I've yet to find what I'd like to see on a menu offered in any of those places either.

So ignore my comments and I imagine you'll find Pittsburgh's Mexican food is perfectly OK and likely better than what you can find in northern Indiana. There are some very good examples of the "combo plate/things stuffed in a tortilla" model around here. And even a couple of places that go a bit beyond that (Cinco, Verde).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh