Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 08:28 AM

2 posts, read 8,219 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Mount Lebanon. We are looking for a larger, contemporary church... preferably in or close to Mount Lebanon. We are Methodists, yet attended a Presbyterian church in our former city.
I realize many churches have a contemporary service, but we'd prefer a church where the entire church worships in a contemporary style. Traditional style worship mixed with contemporary style is okay too
Any ideas for us? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 08:54 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,532 times
What do you mean by "contemporary" church or service? Modernized language, no vestments or candles - that kind of thing? Presumably as Protestants, you are not interested in a Roman Catholic congregation?

Old 08-13-2011, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 8,219 times
By contemporary I was referring to the music for the most part... thank you!

Old 08-13-2011, 09:13 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
I know lots of people that attend here and have great things to say about it, which isn't too far away: The Bible Chapel

Old 08-13-2011, 09:39 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,532 times
Interesting link - I didn't know of this church. In as much as at least three of its pastors (including the senior pastor, Dr. Moore) derive from Dallas Theological Seminary, it is apparently traces its descent through Chafer's "Dispensationalist" evangelicalism to New England Congregationalism, the religion of the Plymouth Colony, which in turn owes its origins to Elizabethan Independency or Puritan Non-Conformism, and then ultimately to Wycliffite Lollardy. Looks like the pastoral staff have some very strong links to Texas apart from the DTS connection.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Interesting link - I didn't know of this church. In as much as at least three of its pastors (including the senior pastor, Dr. Moore) derive from Dallas Theological Seminary, it is apparently traces its descent through Chafer's "Dispensationalist" evangelicalism to New England Congregationalism, the religion of the Plymouth Colony, which in turn owes its origins to Elizabethan Independency or Puritan Non-Conformism, and then ultimately to Wycliffite Lollardy. Looks like the pastoral staff have some very strong links to Texas apart from the DTS connection.
Yea, I don't know a whole lot about the place, though I do know it is indeed contemporary and a pretty huge congregation for our area's standards. I believe the pastor is from Oklahoma.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:31 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
I know you said you wanted a totally contemporary church, but I have to give Peter's Creek Presbyterian a plug. They do have a contemporary service and it is very musical. The organist is a beast of a player and the place as well as the people are just super nice. I am from the other end of the world from there, but still get there now and again. Some of the nicest people around and if I lived anywhere near there, I would go there.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:39 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I know you said you wanted a totally contemporary church, but I have to give Peter's Creek Presbyterian a plug. They do have a contemporary service and it is very musical. The organist is a beast of a player and the place as well as the people are just super nice. I am from the other end of the world from there, but still get there now and again. Some of the nicest people around and if I lived anywhere near there, I would go there.
Is it a religious service, or a rock concert?

Old 08-14-2011, 11:57 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgirl113 View Post
By contemporary I was referring to the music for the most part... thank you!
Although not near Mt. Lebanon, the Memorial Park Presbyterian Church in the North HIlls has a long history of being a more contemporary church.

At the Saturday service, the music is live rock and roll bands. It has a much younger congregation than many churches typically struggling with aging congregations.

Here's the link: Services and Times (http://www.memorialparkchurch.org/services.htm - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Yea, I don't know a whole lot about the place, though I do know it is indeed contemporary and a pretty huge congregation for our area's standards. I believe the pastor is from Oklahoma.
Huge congregation sounds like a negative thing to me. I don't know many Pittsburghers who would like a mega church.

I can't even understand how Southerners can stand attending churches the size of football stadiums.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Huge congregation sounds like a negative thing to me. I don't know many Pittsburghers who would like a mega church.

I can't even understand how Southerners can stand attending churches the size of football stadiums.
Well, huge churches don't usually start out as huge churches. They start out as every other church, but more people believe that they offer a superior service and as a result said churches experience large growth which necessitates larger places of worship.

Dont get me wrong, I see some negatives with churches of such size too, mainly in that everyone doesnt know each other which takes away from the close knitted type community that many small neighborhood churches have.

On the flip side, when you have anything on a large scale, it allows a large church to offer many things that is simply beyond the means of a smaller congregation.

I think the larger type churches appeals more to the younger demographic around here and the smaller to the older demographic.

Its just all in what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh