Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 03:30 PM

876 posts, read 1,145,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
Someone I know mentioned Uptown. What can you tell me about it?
Could be an amazing neighborhood in twenty years, but right now, it's a ghost town. Definitely not what you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 03:46 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,267,438 times
Quote:
. Someone I know mentioned Uptown. What can you tell me about it?

Uptown for the most part is pretty desolate, but its ok if you are transit dependent and need to be near its various institutions including Mercy Hospital, Duquesne and the Jubilee Kitchen.

Doesn't sound like a good fit for someone wanting a quiet, safe place to drive to work from.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:48 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,642,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
Could be an amazing neighborhood in twenty years, but right now, it's a ghost town. Definitely not what you're looking for.
That's helpful to know. Thanks.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Uptown for the most part is pretty desolate, but its ok if you are transit dependent and need to be near its various institutions including Mercy Hospital, Duquesne and the Jubilee Kitchen.

Doesn't sound like a good fit for someone wanting a quiet, safe place to drive to work from.
No, it doesn't. It's funny how when I mention to people that I'm starting to think about places I might want to live, and I'm looking for XYZ, I get recommendations for ABC. I don't mean here on this forum, but people I encounter in person. It's as if they don't really know the city beyond wherever they happen to live.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:06 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,328,339 times
Quote:
No, it doesn't. It's funny how when I mention to people that I'm starting to think about places I might want to live, and I'm looking for XYZ, I get recommendations for ABC. I don't mean here on this forum, but people I encounter in person. It's as if they don't really know the city beyond wherever they happen to live.
To be fair, what you are asking for is rather rare in Pittsburgh. And confusion was added by your asking about living in "Pittsburgh" when it sounds as if what you really want is a neighborhood with qualities that are only found in the suburbs. It might be helpful if you could explain where you are coming FROM (or where you have lived happily in the past) so those of us who have lived in many different states could get a better idea of your frame of reference. Pittsburgh suburbanites do tend to stay in their local area and probably aren't familiar with suburbs in other directions. I've met very few people who have rented in multiple suburbs. Because of the terrain of the area, suburbs are more isolated from one another than in cities where the sprawl is just on flat land.

Most opportunities for rental apartments, even well-managed ones, are going to be in older buildings because Pittsburgh has been around for a long time. Anywhere within the city limits is also placing you in student areas because Pittsburgh has an extraordinary number of colleges and universities for a city of its size. Your budget is a problem for new and spacious. Because those types of places are rare, prices are at a premium.

Like several other people here, I'm thinking Mt. Lebanon or nearby Scott, Baldwin, or Green Tree Townships.
Pittsburgh, Carnegie Apartments for Rent - Nob Hill Apartments (I have a friend who lived here and really liked it.)
CASTLERIDGE.INFO
Carriage Park Apartments - Pittsburgh, PA 15220 | Pittsburgh, PA | 300 Chatham Park Drive, Pittsburgh, PA 15220 - Dreyfuss Management
HYLANDHILLS.INFO

Apparently the first building in the brand new City Vista complex will be for rent starting this spring. If you want new, that might be a way to go if it's in your budget. Green Tree is a convenient location with easy access to the Golden Triangle and the airport, with plenty of shopping in all the west suburbs.
City Vista Apartment Community in Pittsburgh Nears Completion | Multi-Housing News Online

Since you liked Sewickley (mostly upscale, single-family homes), nearby Franklin Park and McCandless Township have some newer rental complexes:
taylorridgeapartments.com
Features - Oaks of McCandless

Old 04-18-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
To be fair, what you are asking for is rather rare in Pittsburgh. And confusion was added by your asking about living in "Pittsburgh" when it sounds as if what you really want is a neighborhood with qualities that are only found in the suburbs. It might be helpful if you could explain where you are coming FROM (or where you have lived happily in the past) so those of us who have lived in many different states could get a better idea of your frame of reference. Pittsburgh suburbanites do tend to stay in their local area and probably aren't familiar with suburbs in other directions. I've met very few people who have rented in multiple suburbs. Because of the terrain of the area, suburbs are more isolated from one another than in cities where the sprawl is just on flat land.

Most opportunities for rental apartments, even well-managed ones, are going to be in older buildings because Pittsburgh has been around for a long time. Anywhere within the city limits is also placing you in student areas because Pittsburgh has an extraordinary number of colleges and universities for a city of its size. Your budget is a problem for new and spacious. Because those types of places are rare, prices are at a premium.

Like several other people here, I'm thinking Mt. Lebanon or nearby Scott, Baldwin, or Green Tree Townships.
Pittsburgh, Carnegie Apartments for Rent - Nob Hill Apartments (I have a friend who lived here and really liked it.)
CASTLERIDGE.INFO
Carriage Park Apartments - Pittsburgh, PA 15220 | Pittsburgh, PA | 300 Chatham Park Drive, Pittsburgh, PA 15220 - Dreyfuss Management
HYLANDHILLS.INFO

Apparently the first building in the brand new City Vista complex will be for rent starting this spring. If you want new, that might be a way to go if it's in your budget. Green Tree is a convenient location with easy access to the Golden Triangle and the airport, with plenty of shopping in all the west suburbs.
City Vista Apartment Community in Pittsburgh Nears Completion | Multi-Housing News Online

Since you liked Sewickley (mostly upscale, single-family homes), nearby Franklin Park and McCandless Township have some newer rental complexes:
taylorridgeapartments.com
Features - Oaks of McCandless
Thanks for the links. I'll have to check out Green Tree.

You were astute to ask where I'm from (Southern CA), because I think that part of the disconnect for me is that back home, no one refers to anyplace within 30 miles of the city center as a "suburb," because the city itself is so big, and adjacent municipalities are "absorbed" into the city in the minds of most locals. That's my frame of reference, so when I hear that someplace is 20 minutes from downtown, I expect to find an essentially urban neighborhood that's either a degree or two removed from the crazy, or that has a bit (or a lot) of crazy all its own. I don't expect to find Wexford, which is far more isolated than I envisioned.

I've also lived in Denver, where properties like this http://www.sonatacherrycreek.com/ are located all over the city, in quiet, out-of-the-way spots, as well as near busy thoroughfares with easy access to shopping. Ideally, I would like the former, but it seems as if here that means giving up anything remotely urban, and I'm not sure I'm willing to do that. It's a dilemma, for sure.

Last edited by katenik; 04-18-2014 at 12:19 PM..

Old 04-18-2014, 12:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,101,269 times
I responded to your post in the other thread. It's not just that you want newer amenities, but you want them in walkable neighborhoods. I suggested you check out The Club at North Hills in McCandless. It's in the suburbs, just two minute drive to the most affluent mall shopping in the region and one of the county's two largest parks. A commute downtown is about 20 minutes. Most of Pittsburgh's suburbs don't have sidewalks, but this particular area is currently being developed with sidewalks for you to walk to very limited places such as drug store, bank, pizza and hoagie places, Verizon store, hair dresser, etc. The area is currently under major development so there will be other businesses within walking distance soon. What you'll give up is being able to walk to a coffee shop.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:43 PM

Hopes,

I think you are overemphasizing my desire to walk. I said I wanted a restaurant or two within walking distance (and this is mostly about not drinking and driving), but beyond that, I don't care. Even when I could walk to a grocery store, I never did, but I don't want to drive more than 15 minutes to reach one, either. I'm also now trying to avoid using the word "suburb" on this forum, because what I'm starting to understand about Pittsburgh is that the town next door to the city that looks just like the city neighborhood and shares a Pittsburgh zip code is called a suburb, and so are the sparsely developed subdivisions 20 miles out. (I'm not interested in the latter, certainly not as a renter.) One of the properties linked above is described as being located "one exit from the city." Perhaps that is an adequate description for locals, but to me it translates to just beyond the far edge of the city; and, of course, what constitutes the far edge depends upon which edge one happens to be nearer, as well as what one considers to be "the city"-- the downtown core, the political boundary, or the metro at large. I also had to assume that they mean off I-79, but it didn't actually state that. So, yeah, that's where I am with all this. It's quite daunting, and I thank all of you who have tried to help.

Last edited by katenik; 04-18-2014 at 02:03 PM..

Old 04-18-2014, 02:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,101,269 times
Quote:
Hopes,

I think you are overemphasizing my desire to walk. I said I wanted a restaurant or two within walking distance (and this is mostly about not drinking and driving), but beyond that, I don't care.
There is only one restaurant that serves alcohol within walking distance to that apartment complex, and it's not a trendy place. There are many places very nearby, just a minute drive away.

Quote:
Even when I could walk to a grocery store, I never did, but I don't want to drive more than 15 minutes to reach one, either.
This complex is very close to grocery stores and all types of shopping.

Quote:
I'm also now trying to avoid using the word "suburb" on this forum, because what I'm starting to understand about Pittsburgh is that the town next door to the city that looks just like the city neighborhood and shares a Pittsburgh zip code is called a suburb, and so are the sparsely developed subdivisions 20 miles out. (I'm not interested in the latter, certainly not as a renter.)
McCandless is very suburban by standard definitions. There's a vibrant strip mall and interior mall shopping district and typical suburban housing developments with large yards and houses built since 1970s.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:44 AM

Since my last post, I've had a chance to explore the city and surrounding area a bit more. I've driven around with a neighborhood map, trying to figure out what's what and where's where, so that it's more meaningful when I read about these places. I've also toured some properties that seemed to offer what I'm seeking, with mixed results. Some properties that at first seemed promising, I have now completely ruled out:

Kennedy Highlands- Location was barren and unappealing.

Taylor Ridge (Franklin Park)- In an isolated subdivision, too far from desired amenities. No covered parking.

Governor's Ridge (Ross Twp.)- Old and a bit shabby. Borderline charming, but for the creepy basement laundry room. I wouldn't want to go down there.

Oaks at McCandless- Bedrooms were ridiculously small. My queen-sized bed would not fit comfortably with other furniture.

Carriage Park (unincorporated area b/w Scott Twp. and Greentree)- Building layout is odd, with apartment doors in small, dank corridors. Some kitchens are updated, but bathrooms are not so the spaces lack aesthetic symmetry. Closet space is terrible. Shared laundry facilities. Residents are predominantly Indian, which is only an issue because of the overwhelming cooking odors.

Still in the running:

Christopher Wren (Wexford)- I have to admit that the Whole Foods in Wexford is a big draw for me. The first time I went there, I took a rather indirect route because I was just driving around, and it initially seemed very far away. I went to the area again to look for apartment communities closer Route 19, and this one couldn't be better situated, just a block off the main road, about two miles from WF. The 1BR units are very spacious, with new-enough kitchen and bath fixtures, in-unit W/D, and good closet space. Really, the only thing the property lacks that's important to me is covered parking. I really, really, really don't want to clear snow and ice off my car on frigid mornings. I'm also a bit apprehensive after reading a review of the property that mentioned a recent infestation of mice. I would definitely have to inquire about that before moving there.

City Vista (Greentree)- Property is still under construction, but is scheduled to be open shortly. I'm on the fence about the location, but I'm eager to see the units.

River Oaks (Aspinwall)- Property located in the kind of quiet, out of the way, neighborhood I like, but I've been told that there's only one route into downtown that's always congested. Uncovered parking and shared laundry facilities also negatives.

There are also some places near Robinson that seem promising, but I don't have any sense of how the commute to downtown from there might be. I'm also concerned about traffic congestion with the retail district being such a major destination.

As you can see, I still haven't figured out exactly where in the metro I want to live. I've driven through the popular city neighborhoods that everyone talks about, but I don't think they are right for me. To be frank, I can't understand why some of them are popular, as one or two seemed rather down-at-heels to me, but different strokes....

Onward.

Last edited by katenik; 05-03-2014 at 11:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh