Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 08:56 PM

32,625 posts, read 77,770,733 times

Advertisements

Welcome in advance to Greater Pittsburgh!

As has already been noted you have a rather tedious "wish list", and you'll likely have to compromise somewhere. For example, I immediately thought the modern, hip, and trendy Cork Factory Lofts in the Strip District would be ideal for you, but due to the city's extremely tight rental market these days you won't be finding a 2-BR unit there for anywhere near your $1,200/month ceiling. The Strip District is home to Marty's Market (upscale organic grocer) as well as housing a plethora of specialty ethnic grocers, food stands/food trucks, and unique retail venues. In addition, you could walk Downtown to work in about 20 minutes (or drive there in less than five minutes, although parking will be a hassle). Visiting other interesting areas of the East End via car is a breeze from here as well.

Friendship comes to mind as a possibility to find a nice 2-BR apartment in your price range; however, off-street parking is rare (albeit on-street parking typically isn't too tough to find), and most units, even up to the top level of your budget, won't be nearly as modernized as you would like. Friendship is quiet, safe, leafy, and very near to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Giant Eagle Market District (upscale local grocer), East End Food Co-Op, Target, Home Depot, Starbuck's (three locations within an easy walk), Crazy Mocha Coffee (two locations within an easy walk), and much, much more.

Like it or not, OP, Pittsburgh didn't become "hot" until the recession started, which was HORRIBLE timing because developers were unable to secure financing to bring new housing units to the marketplace while demand continued to grow. Now developers are rushing to play "catch-up" to build enough new housing units to attempt to meet demand, but it won't be another decade given current trends until enough new inventory is brought to the market to moderate rents somewhat. I live in an absolute DUMPY apartment---no smoke detectors, appliances straight out of 1982, trashed hardwood flooring in the kitchen, worn carpeting, etc.---and our rent has already gone up by nearly 1/3 since 2010 and will be increasing again this summer due simply to the lack of interest from local developers to meet the skyrocketing demand for housing here.

I wish you the best of luck, but I'm not optimistic you'll be able to "nail" all of your criteria. In my opinion one of the easiest daily commutes back-and-forth to Downtown from the East End is via Baum Boulevard-to North Craig Street-to Bigelow Boulevard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 10:45 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,651,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Welcome in advance to Greater Pittsburgh!

As has already been noted you have a rather tedious "wish list", and you'll likely have to compromise somewhere. For example, I immediately thought the modern, hip, and trendy Cork Factory Lofts in the Strip District would be ideal for you, but due to the city's extremely tight rental market these days you won't be finding a 2-BR unit there for anywhere near your $1,200/month ceiling. The Strip District is home to Marty's Market (upscale organic grocer) as well as housing a plethora of specialty ethnic grocers, food stands/food trucks, and unique retail venues. In addition, you could walk Downtown to work in about 20 minutes (or drive there in less than five minutes, although parking will be a hassle). Visiting other interesting areas of the East End via car is a breeze from here as well.

Friendship comes to mind as a possibility to find a nice 2-BR apartment in your price range; however, off-street parking is rare (albeit on-street parking typically isn't too tough to find), and most units, even up to the top level of your budget, won't be nearly as modernized as you would like. Friendship is quiet, safe, leafy, and very near to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Giant Eagle Market District (upscale local grocer), East End Food Co-Op, Target, Home Depot, Starbuck's (three locations within an easy walk), Crazy Mocha Coffee (two locations within an easy walk), and much, much more.

Like it or not, OP, Pittsburgh didn't become "hot" until the recession started, which was HORRIBLE timing because developers were unable to secure financing to bring new housing units to the marketplace while demand continued to grow. Now developers are rushing to play "catch-up" to build enough new housing units to attempt to meet demand, but it won't be another decade given current trends until enough new inventory is brought to the market to moderate rents somewhat. I live in an absolute DUMPY apartment---no smoke detectors, appliances straight out of 1982, trashed hardwood flooring in the kitchen, worn carpeting, etc.---and our rent has already gone up by nearly 1/3 since 2010 and will be increasing again this summer due simply to the lack of interest from local developers to meet the skyrocketing demand for housing here.

I wish you the best of luck, but I'm not optimistic you'll be able to "nail" all of your criteria. In my opinion one of the easiest daily commutes back-and-forth to Downtown from the East End is via Baum Boulevard-to North Craig Street-to Bigelow Boulevard.
I realize that something in my first post was not clear. The remark about preferring a 2BR was meant to indicate that, all else being equal, more space would be better than less, but I didn't mean to imply that I am looking for a 2BR for $1200/mo, period. The key for me is figuring out where I would need to look to find a place that meets the criteria and falls within the budget. If that means less space, as opposed to more, that's fine. If it means a bit of a commute, that's fine, too (in fact, it's what I expect and am prepared for). If it doesn't exist at all, then I'll have to tinker with the budget, but I don't want to max it out before I even start looking at what's out there.

As far as the Strip District is concerned, I wouldn't expect to live there for what I want to pay, but I wouldn't want to live there, anyway-- I'm just not a trendy loft kinda girl. (Living close enough to go food shopping there with some regularity? I'm all for that!) From what I've seen (Googled) today based upon recommendations in this thread, it looks like I might favor the close-in suburbs, rather than the city proper. As I said elsewhere, I'm willing to drive, but I'm not willing to live in an old dump.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:01 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,144,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Um View Post
There's really only one place for you: the Sewickley Valley. Finding something in your range might be difficult, but Sewickley village, Edgeworth, and Glen Osborne fit your criteria to a T.
I live in another state, so I'm not really qualified to recommend--but FWIW this was what came to my mind. This is where I'd live if I was moving to the area, and I think it has everything you want. Not sure how hard it might be to snag a rental, though. What you see on the internet doesn't always match reality.

Last edited by Caladium; 04-11-2014 at 03:29 AM..

Old 04-11-2014, 07:17 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,286,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
I realize that something in my first post was not clear. The remark about preferring a 2BR was meant to indicate that, all else being equal, more space would be better than less, but I didn't mean to imply that I am looking for a 2BR for $1200/mo, period.

As far as the Strip District is concerned, I wouldn't expect to live there for what I want to pay, but I wouldn't want to live there, anyway-- I'm just not a trendy loft kinda girl. (Living close enough to go food shopping there with some regularity? I'm all for that!) From what I've seen (Googled) today based upon recommendations in this thread, it looks like I might favor the close-in suburbs, rather than the city proper. As I said elsewhere, I'm willing to drive, but I'm not willing to live in an old dump.

The "Kennedy Highlands" property I posted about above would seem to meet your criteria, it was built in 2008 and is about as modern as you can expect around here. Its is close enough to Pittsburgh that you can see town from the adjacent Giant Eagle property, and its a short drive from the Silver Star store that was featured on the "Food Network" recently since you are a bit of a "foodie".

Remember this factor when renting in Pittsburgh and considering your budget, if you are within the city limits the wage tax is 3% of gross but only 1% in most of the outlying areas

Old 04-11-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The "Kennedy Highlands" property I posted about above would seem to meet your criteria, it was built in 2008 and is about as modern as you can expect around here. Its is close enough to Pittsburgh that you can see town from the adjacent Giant Eagle property, and its a short drive from the Silver Star store that was featured on the "Food Network" recently since you are a bit of a "foodie".

Remember this factor when renting in Pittsburgh and considering your budget, if you are within the city limits the wage tax is 3% of gross but only 1% in most of the outlying areas
Kennedy Highlands would certainly be a place I'd check out. Great recommendation! The West End of the city and the inner western suburbs aren't "hot", but while they are a bit worn out and dated-looking they're still perfectly fine. Parts of Sheraden (in the city proper) and parts of McKees Rocks are shady, but otherwise you get a great "bang for your buck" factor west of town in Kennedy Township, Moon Township, Robinson Township, or North Fayette Township. There are "back roads" you can take from these areas to avoid the I-376 mess to drive back-and-forth to work. They have that suburban vibe you seek while still being close to Downtown.

There's a very large "flagship" Giant Eagle Market District grocery store in Robinson Township, which is a shopping mecca that also houses an IKEA, Cinemark Movie Theaters, HomeGoods, Best Buy, an indoor mall, and just about every chain restaurant and big-box retailer you can imagine.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I realize that something in my first post was not clear. The remark about preferring a 2BR was meant to indicate that, all else being equal, more space would be better than less, but I didn't mean to imply that I am looking for a 2BR for $1200/mo, period. The key for me is figuring out where I would need to look to find a place that meets the criteria and falls within the budget. If that means less space, as opposed to more, that's fine. If it means a bit of a commute, that's fine, too (in fact, it's what I expect and am prepared for). If it doesn't exist at all, then I'll have to tinker with the budget, but I don't want to max it out before I even start looking at what's out there.

Thanks for the further clarifications. Now I realize you'd be fine with a 1-BR for $1,200/month (maximum) as long as it was very spacious and modern. I also now realize that by "spacious" and "modern" you aren't looking for a loft-styled living space, which rules out the Strip District.

One last recommendation in a very urban setting would be the Morgan at North Shore apartments. These are located along the river, opposite Downtown, and possess some of the best skyline views in the city. $1,200/month should get you a spacious 1-BR, and the apartments, from what I've seen are modern. Garage parking is available on-site, and you could walk Downtown to work in ten minutes, which would eliminate the need for you to budget $200/month+ to park Downtown and hassle with traffic each day. You'd be close enough to the Strip District to access the fine grocers and peddlers each Saturday morning in minutes.

Otherwise heading out towards the western suburbs would give you the best bang-for-your buck factor if you were looking to maximize your square footage and modern amenities for the lowest possible price point. Ross Township has some cheaper rentals in the North Hills, but they generally are "dated". Same with the South Hills' cheaper communities---Dormont, Baldwin, Whitehall, Brentwood, Scott Township, etc. You don't want to live out east and commute via car Downtown daily to work. It's a hassle to get from Monroeville or Murrysville to Downtown while avoiding the Squirrel Hill Tunnel mess.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:14 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,552,410 times
I fear that 1200 may not be enough considering your demands. Most of the newer apartment buildings in the city would be over your budget. Not sure how many apartment communities have decent updated kitchens or baths. May want to look into River Oaks in Aspinwall or the Docks in O'Hara. The downside is that Whole Foods is more than 3 miles away. Mt. Lebanon and Scott Township also have a lot of apartment buildings.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Kennedy Highlands would certainly be a place I'd check out. Great recommendation! The West End of the city and the inner western suburbs aren't "hot", but while they are a bit worn out and dated-looking they're still perfectly fine. Parts of Sheraden (in the city proper) and parts of McKees Rocks are shady, but otherwise you get a great "bang for your buck" factor west of town in Kennedy Township, Moon Township, Robinson Township, or North Fayette Township. There are "back roads" you can take from these areas to avoid the I-376 mess to drive back-and-forth to work. They have that suburban vibe you seek while still being close to Downtown.

There's a very large "flagship" Giant Eagle Market District grocery store in Robinson Township, which is a shopping mecca that also houses an IKEA, Cinemark Movie Theaters, HomeGoods, Best Buy, an indoor mall, and just about every chain restaurant and big-box retailer you can imagine.
Yes, Kennedy Highlands is just the sort of property I had in mind. I was also looking at a property called Taylor Ridge in Sewickley, except that the website states that it is in Franklin Park, which is confusing because I can't find Franklin Park on a map. Could you enlighten me, please?

I also looked at the Morgan property you suggested elsewhere, and that looks promising as well.

Thanks for all of your input. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by katenik; 04-11-2014 at 01:09 PM..

Old 04-11-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post

Good to know. Thanks.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:12 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,924,723 times
Quote:
Yes, Kennedy Highlands is just the sort of property I had in mind. I was also looking at a property called Taylor Ridge in Sewickley, except that the website states that it is in Franklin Park, which is confusing because I can't find Franklin Park on a map. Could you enlighten me, please?
https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...&ved=0CJUBELYD

Franklin Park is in the North Hills. The zip is Pittsburgh, PA, 15237, though I do not know if it counts as Pittsburgh for tax purposes. It's near, but not in, Sewickley. It's very suburban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh