Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 07:30 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
You do realize that this kind of traffic existed in the city long before you came here right?
I actually think congestion has worsened here over the past few years, believe it or not. I expect traffic to be rough from 4 PM to 6 PM in any city, but it's only been fairly recently as a delivery driver that I've noticed frequent gridlock outside those hours as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 07:36 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,721,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I actually think congestion has worsened here over the past few years, believe it or not. I expect traffic to be rough from 4 PM to 6 PM in any city, but it's only been fairly recently as a delivery driver that I've noticed frequent gridlock outside those hours as well.
You are probably right as far as the worse traffic goes.

But at the same time we have had the "4 hour rush hour" for as long as I was of legal age to drive. I can distinctly remember 45 minute commutes during "rush hour" as far back as 2005.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:49 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
You are probably right as far as the worse traffic goes.

But at the same time we have had the "4 hour rush hour" for as long as I was of legal age to drive. I can distinctly remember 45 minute commutes during "rush hour" as far back as 2005.
Yet somehow Hopes can make it from Hampton Township to Downtown in eight minutes (ducks flying stilettos)!

Old 06-05-2014, 08:15 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,136,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I am not the one who brought up these other cities in the first place. This post (#12) below was made TWO HOURS before I made any posts at all.

Actually, DC didn't make the list.
Unless the story got it wrong, DC did make the list.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:15 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Good for you, that you're above going to the beach now. You look down on us poor slobs, OK?
'above' is your word, not mine. We actually own a beach house ~1 hour drive north of Sydney. It's a pretty beach too. They'll be plenty of beach and surf enjoyment in my future hopefully ... maybe you should stop being so argumentative, Kat?

The point someone made about flights/accessibility and PIT is a good one. I fly a fair bit, and more direct ones to the west coast (eg Seattle) and places like Boston and Salt Lake would be very welcome. Even Denver is sparse, although I've managed to score some decent deals on that route in the last year. It would be nice to see traffic pick up, and the need for new routes emerge.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:40 AM

47 posts, read 67,056 times
I actually visited Pittsburgh for the first time this February, mind you, it was one of the worst winters in a long time and I wondered why I had been visiting Florida for soooo many years. I live in South America and Florida really doesn't have that much to offer (other than the weather, which is not so appealing to me since I have it at home) that Pittsburgh doesn't. Ofcourse, this is all a matter of opinion, if you are big of nightlife for your vacation, I can see why you would prefer Miami or Las Vegas.

My point is, since I have been a Pittsburgh tourist, I can completely understand why it would be on the list, ofcourse it's not for everyone, but then again, there is no exact and pre made way to vacation, everyone has their own style and Pittsburgh may or may not be a great option.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:09 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
If PIT was such a tourist destination you think they would have more demand for people flying in?
I imagine that since Pittsburgh isn't an international tourist destination, that most visitors are regional. They're driving in from Cincinnati or DC or New York, not flying in from farther afield.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:17 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,927,155 times
I could see where for a lot of people, Pittsburgh would be a fine destination for a week of tourism. Museums, architecture, restaurants, history, the River, some amusement parks......... and throw in a few games, there is plenty to do. All in all, how many places in the US would be considered a world class "place to go spend a week"? Less than 10?? Less than 5?

Maybe its not a place that a typical "Disney World" or "Let's go to the Beach" type of family would hit, but a lot of people would love it.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:46 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,826,095 times
Pittsburgh hotel boom strives to keep up with demand - Pittsburgh Business Times

Old 06-06-2014, 02:07 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,136,372 times
^ Ok...and they still can't get a Convention center hotel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh