Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 08:39 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know of places in and around Pittsburgh to taste regional wines. I'd also like to know about the wineries in and around Erie. I have friends coming to visit in November and I thought it would be fun to introduce them to the best the region has to offer. At this point I've been buying the CA wines I like at the state stores. What is the quality of regional wines and where are the best places to find them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 08:48 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
My family used to have a boat and camp on the Yough Lake. There is a place called Christian W Klay Winery that has a nice winery on Fayette Springs Road near Nemacolin Woodlands. We would stop at their little satellite shop on Rt. 40 on our way to the Yough Lake. They have seasonal wines and a few standbys. They aren't bad for the price.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:49 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Lake Erie Wine Country, formerly called the Chautauqua - Lake Erie Wine Trail - Wineries, Dining, Lodging, Activities, and more - Lake Erie Wine Country

Southwest Passage Wine Trail

here is the main site:
Home | Pennsylvania Winery Association

I don't like PA wines, I think they are too sweet. I've had some nice Rieslings from the Finger Lakes, in New York, though, Dr. Frank in particular.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Lake Erie Wine Country, formerly called the Chautauqua - Lake Erie Wine Trail - Wineries, Dining, Lodging, Activities, and more - Lake Erie Wine Country

Southwest Passage Wine Trail

here is the main site:
Home | Pennsylvania Winery Association

I don't like PA wines, I think they are too sweet. I've had some nice Rieslings from the Finger Lakes, in New York, though, Dr. Frank in particular.
I am 99.9% a beer person and can't tell a $40 bottle of wine from a $10 bottle but even I can agree with you regarding the sweetness of PA wines.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:56 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
PA isn't really wine country, so I suspect fine wines are few and far between. We spent a weekend cycling around the PA Erie wineries last summer, and actually found some very respectable whites at places like Mazza in North East, where many of the wineries are clustered. There were some reds, but in Monty Python parlance we found most of these to be perfect for 'laying down and avoiding'. It's basically too cool to ripen most red varieties.

I've sampled a few of the more local wines at tastings and not really been impressed, but am always willing to try! I suspect the best varieties will be cool climate whites like Riesling, chardonnay, pinot gris, gruner veltliner (the Mazza one was pretty good indeed). There's also a lot of hybrids, which are occasionally ok but really to my taste (too sweet, rich).

A little farther afield, there's some very stuff in the Finger Lakes and Niagara (across the border mostly). These are well worth weekends, and especially in Fingers lakes there's some great white wines at almost bargain process for the quality.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:58 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Pennsylvania wines are some of the best wines made from concord grapes that you'll find.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I am 99.9% a beer person and can't tell a $40 bottle of wine from a $10 bottle but even I can agree with you regarding the sweetness of PA wines.
There was a PA wine tasting at one of the Shadyside street fairs several years ago, and I remember going to a booth and the guy pouring proceeded to give me a glass of their sweet spiced apple flavored wine (or something), smirking "but all the ladies love the sweet wines! This is even better when it's heated!"

Old 06-11-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
There was a PA wine tasting at one of the Shadyside street fairs several years ago, and I remember going to a booth and the guy pouring proceeded to give me a glass of their sweet spiced apple flavored wine (or something), smirking "but all the ladies love the sweet wines! This is even better when it's heated!"
I've heard that multiple times too! Any time some local PA winery has a sweet fall flavor themed wine they proclaim it is delicious heated. That just does not sound appealing to me.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:04 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
PA isn't really wine country, so I suspect fine wines are few and far between. We spent a weekend cycling around the PA Erie wineries last summer, and actually found some very respectable whites at places like Mazza in North East, where many of the wineries are clustered. There were some reds, but in Monty Python parlance we found most of these to be perfect for 'laying down and avoiding'. It's basically too cool to ripen most red varieties.

I've sampled a few of the more local wines at tastings and not really been impressed, but am always willing to try! I suspect the best varieties will be cool climate whites like Riesling, chardonnay, pinot gris, gruner veltliner (the Mazza one was pretty good indeed). There's also a lot of hybrids, which are occasionally ok but really to my taste (too sweet, rich).

A little farther afield, there's some very stuff in the Finger Lakes and Niagara (across the border mostly). These are well worth weekends, and especially in Fingers lakes there's some great white wines at almost bargain process for the quality.
This is what I thought. Mazza sounds like a good bet and a fun weekend outing.

Do you think the wine industry here has potential for growth and improvement? Do you think PA's liquor laws have a negative impact on the local industry?

Old 06-11-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I've heard that multiple times too! Any time some local PA winery has a sweet fall flavor themed wine they proclaim it is delicious heated. That just does not sound appealing to me.
Yeah, where is the throw-up smilie when you need it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh