Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 05:22 PM

14 posts, read 20,284 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am considering taking a job in Pittsburgh. We currently live in St. Louis, MO.
I have 5 children (4 of them are school age)
What are of town would you recommend to live?
We would like to start off renting a home, since we will be moving in the next couple of months.
My oldest son is in the 8th grade, I have twin 2nd graders, and a kindergartener.
What are the best schools? I see Pittsburgh Public has magnet schools. Which one would you recommend?

What are some of the best things about living in Pittsburgh? My husband is a huge steelers fan, and works in the sports industry.
Any information you could provide would be great, and will help us decide if Pittsburgh is the move we should make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 05:27 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Where you live can be dependent upon where you work.

Do you have jobs here? If so, in what part of the area?

Old 08-20-2014, 05:35 PM

I will be working for a company that has a contract with Pittsburgh Public Schools.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:41 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
I live in upper st clair, it is always rated one of the best in the state. If you have any questions you can message me.

It would be best to know what type of area you would like to live in, pittsburgh has so many unique areas to choose from. You can go from a country setting in north strabane to a suburban setting in peters township and upper st clair to a city feel in mt lebanon in under a 15 minute drive without having to give up on a great school district.

Slideshow: Pittsburgh region school district rankings 2014 - Pittsburgh Business Times

Old 08-20-2014, 05:49 PM

Thank you @Guy2073.
We currently live in a suburb in St. Louis. We are city people, not really interested in a country or rural setting. Looking for a neighborhood with great schools, diversity, nice parks, and shopping. I do not know anything about Pittsburgh except the Steelers. I will be working with Pittsburgh Public Schools.
What are some of the best schools in that district? What is the average rent for a 4 bedroom home or larger? or is it more reasonable to buy?

Old 08-20-2014, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 2,747 times
Hi, I live in the Uptown area of Pittsburgh, great. My child attends Liberty School. It is a WONDERFUL school (magnet) This is short notice to apply however; give it a try the rules change everyday with LIFE in general. Pittsburgh school district has great schools. You have to really research what is good to me might not be ideal for you. Okay great places to locate your family, depending on finaces. I would recommend Northhills area, Plum Borough, Pittsburgh- Squirrel Hill, Highland park, Point Breeze, Shadyside, Bethel Park, Fox Chapel Good Luck!!!! and Go STEELERS......

Old 08-20-2014, 05:57 PM

Thank you @baskink for the insight.
When I look at the schools they are listed North South East and West. What area is uptown and the other places you mentioned?

Old 08-20-2014, 06:02 PM

Thank you everyone

Old 08-20-2014, 06:05 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
Do you have to live in the city? If so i believe you want an area that feeds into alterdice high school.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:23 PM

Not necessarily, but I would like my kids to attend public schools. What neighborhood is Alterdice?
How is the Science and Technology High School?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh