Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 09:47 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Read about Reagan and his crusade to disarm the black panthers.
I'm sure there will be individuals who think differently, but the open carry movement is clearly mainly by and for white people. To see this, you don't even need to go back that far in history, that far from this area, or speak of activists that were deliberately organized to seek political goals like the Panthers.

Just last month, in the adjoining state, a black man was killed by the police while peacefully holding a gun (that wasn't even a real gun) in a Walmart despite there being an open carry law. As far as I can find, not a single Open-Carry group did anything at all to protest or even seek more information.

John Crawford Shooting: Open Carry for Whites; Open Season on Blacks - The Root
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 11:51 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
The Panthers were a violent organization.... To a bunch of white establishment guys who felt only they had the right to have weapons.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:55 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
The Panthers were a violent organization.... To a bunch of white establishment guys who felt only they had the right to have weapons.
Objectively speaking, the Panthers had a tradition of violence, including shootouts with the police.

Most of their activity was in states with strict gun control, where no one really had much of a right to have weapons.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:00 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
Desperate times called for desperate measures.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:26 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Lots of things are accidents waiting to happen, hot stuff on the stove can spill and cause several burns, people can fall off of decks, trip on the sidewalk and fall into heavy traffic, trip in a subway station and fall on to the traffics.

Doesn't mean its "negligent" to set up any of those accident opportunities.

This can't be serious. If you have hot stuff on the stove or a deck on your house, you're very careful with it, and it would absolutely be negligent if the deck didn't have proper guard rails or the stuff on the stove was handled improperly. And the comment was about leaving the bag with a gun inside on a counter when there's KIDS in the house -- people with small kids spend all their time making sure that they don't reach up to a hot stove, or jump off a deck, or fall from a sidewalk into oncoming traffic, or trip on a subway platform, and if any of those things happened the parents would indeed be considered negligent.

I'm not really interested in debating about whether or not open carry is cool, because comments written on the internet won't change anyone's opinion on this, but the idea that it's even remotely OK to bring a concealed gun into someone else's house, and then leave it lying around, is just creepy. Comparing the act of leaving a gun unattended in a home to "cooking food" or "walking on a sidewalk" is an apt illustration of the kind of mentality I've often encountered among gun advocates, but if people don't want to see where this is crazy talk, there's not much that more words will do to change their attitudes.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:28 PM

316 posts, read 437,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
Interesting point. But why do they even need to bring a gun to hang out at your house?
Cuz it's they're right as an Amerucun dammit, and if you don't like it, well then you can just geeeeet out!

Old 09-13-2014, 06:15 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Open carry makes a statement. That statement is, "I am prepared to kill you, if that's what I decide to do." Unless you know and implicitly trust the person, you'd have to be brain dead not to perceive the potential threat inherent there.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:40 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Open carry makes a statement. That statement is, "I am prepared to kill you, if that's what I decide to do." Unless you know and implicitly trust the person, you'd have to be brain dead not to perceive the potential threat inherent there.
This exactly. Open carry is an implicit threat of deadly violence if you mess with someone. It may be that the vast majority of people who open carry only mean for "criminals" to feel this implicit threat, but plenty of perfectly normal, law-abiding citizens feel threatened by it as well.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:58 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
This exactly. Open carry is an implicit threat of deadly violence if you mess with someone. It may be that the vast majority of people who open carry only mean for "criminals" to feel this implicit threat, but plenty of perfectly normal, law-abiding citizens feel threatened by it as well.
Are you guys afraid that someone driving down the street is going to decide to run you over? Cars are much more deadly that guns (and kill far more people every year). I bet you guys walk down the street, and don't give the slightest thought about all the deadly weapons (cars) driving past you everyday, so why would you fear someone with a firearm?

How often do people that are legally carrying a gun openly, murder someone? It's pretty rare, yet cars kill many times more people than guns, and you guys fear the tiny percentage of people that open carry. You should really examine your fears, and really think whether or not your fear of guns is rational.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:00 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Are you guys afraid that someone driving down the street is going to decide to run you over? Cars are much more deadly that guns (and kill far more people every year). I bet you guys walk down the street, and don't give the slightest thought about all the deadly weapons (cars) driving past you everyday, so why would you fear someone with a firearm?

How often do people that are legally carrying a gun openly, murder someone? It's pretty rare, yet cars kill many times more people than guns, and you guys fear the tiny percentage of people that open carry. You should really examine your fears, and really think whether or not your fear of guns is rational.

The main difference here is that cars are not INTENDED to kill people. Guns don't have any other purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh