Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 06:57 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post

This is all about saving the construction company a couple dollars with little concern about the impact to the public or the risk it creates for drivers on the parkway.
The construction company is just the contractor here, EA. They are performing this work at the behest of Blind and Visual Rehabilitation Services of Pittsburgh, a non-profit agency that controls the property on the boulevard.

If the timetable to get the work done was faster, Martini would have probably charged more or might not have even been able to take the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 06:57 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
My report is I saw it. Several cars involved. A large tow truck with a big arrow on the back blocking the right lane. A car with a smashed in front end and bent up hood driving slowly toward the exit. It did not look like it would have caused serious injuries but I did not see the damage on any of the other cars.
If it wasn't serious enough to make the paper, I don't think it counts. Those kinds of things happen all over the city. You could argue that the construction saved lived by slowing traffic down to the point where the accident didn't hurt anybody. Because if you are really worried about safety, speed is a far bigger concern than losing a lane.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:38 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,992,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
If it wasn't serious enough to make the paper, I don't think it counts. Those kinds of things happen all over the city. You could argue that the construction saved lived by slowing traffic down to the point where the accident didn't hurt anybody. Because if you are really worried about safety, speed is a far bigger concern than losing a lane.
It is not about "losing a lane" it is about traffic traveling at highways speeds around a bend unexpectedly facing a travel lane with stopped traffic. It is very likely the accident would not have happened at all if the traffic was not stopped in a travel lane. Also sometimes it has the effect of stopping two of the three lanes when vehicles stop to try to cut off people in the right lane. That happens all the time. This is having a big effect on a lot of people and work is only being done a few hours a day or not at all.

Now that the cold weather is here are they going to just leave that lane blocked and only work on it the few days it gets warm? Why not just put up a net until after winter and open the road?

This small project is imposing a large cost on thousands of people and that cost is not taken into account. With the apathy of people here it is no wonder we get so much inefficiency in our government.

I am concerned about both the safety implications and the cost being imposed on thousands of people because the construction company will not work a little overtime on weekends or at night to minimize the impact.

I hope no one gets hurt but if someone would be killed on the parkway related to this, the barriers would be down the next day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
It was serious enough for the people who will have to pay for the repairs and see their insurance rates go up.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:45 AM

697 posts, read 778,385 times
Quote:
It is not about "losing a lane" it is about traffic traveling at highways speeds around a bend unexpectedly facing a travel lane with stopped traffic. It is very likely the accident would not have happened at all if the traffic was not stopped in a travel lane. Also sometimes it has the effect of stopping two of the three lanes when vehicles stop to try to cut off people in the right lane. That happens all the time. This is having a big effect on a lot of people and work is only being done a few hours a day or not at all.

Now that the cold weather is here are they going to just leave that lane blocked and only work on it the few days it gets warm? Why not just put up a net until after winter and open the road?

This small project is imposing a large cost on thousands of people and that cost is not taken into account. With the apathy of people here it is no wonder we get so much inefficiency in our government.

I am concerned about both the safety implications and the cost being imposed on thousands of people because the construction company will not work a little overtime on weekends or at night to minimize the impact.

I hope no one gets hurt but if someone would be killed on the parkway related to this, the barriers would be down the next day.

It was serious enough for the people who will have to pay for the repairs and see their insurance rates go up.
Why don't you get Alan Jennings or another investigative reporter on the case. They love this stuff and it does sound really annoying and unsafe.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
Why don't you get Alan Jennings or another investigative reporter on the case. They love this stuff and it does sound really annoying and unsafe.
Thank you for the idea! That sounds like a good after dinner project for tonight.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:19 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,909 times
Quote:
Thank you for the idea! That sounds like a good after dinner project for tonight.
I would email Marty Griffin, I bet he would be all over this: Contact Us « CBS Pittsburgh

Old 11-20-2014, 09:22 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
All over what? The reconstruction of a building that was dangerous to motorists passing by or the fact that a few people swear that no one is really working on it as they drive by?

Does anyone have a realconnection to the project and know for a fact how much work is being done or is this all simply observations done while driving?

Old 11-20-2014, 09:29 AM

697 posts, read 778,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
All over what? The reconstruction of a building that was dangerous to motorists passing by or the fact that a few people swear that no one is really working on it as they drive by?

Does anyone have a realconnection to the project and know for a fact how much work is being done or is this all simply observations done while driving?
That's why they're called "investigative reporters!"

Old 11-20-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post

I never see anyone working and anyone else I know who drives that way has also not seen anyone. That is not the real point. The real point is the company is taking their good old time doing this when it is creating a hazardous condition on the Parkway as well has having a significant negative effect on thousands of people every day. Are they working on weekends? Can they give us a detailed explanation why they cannot work in the evening? Why can't they work when it is cold? If they can't work in the cold weather why can't they put a net over the damage and open the road until the spring?

What is wrong with pointing out how this effects people and asking if there is a better way? What is wrong with asking the company to incur a little overtime to save the cost they are imposing on thousands of people?

Just because one persons says this is the only way doesn't mean he is right.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:05 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
That's why they're called "investigative reporters!"
I call them something else, but lets face it news/reporters these days aren't for news, they are for entertainment purposes. Just one big hyped up mess. Might be the perfect call on this so-called dangerous construction project that has Enough Already freaking out, like the HOV lane people and whatever other driver nightmares that upset him. I would hate to deal with all those thoughts while I am driving. Life is too short to worry about all these little things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh