Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 08:23 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
I will try to remember to check if the big CVS on Fifth has grated cheese, I would expect they would. Probably Kraft, and probably $4 for .5 lb!

They might, just not a fan of shopping for food there. I am glad they finally stopped selling tobacco, (fix you in the back of the store, kill you in the front), but thier stores are mostly junk food, medical products, and a little bit of the dollar store (although not dollar store prices) thrown in.

I would like a store that sells normal food for normal prices. I would accept the urban location price market (like zone pricing at gas stations) but I do not need a block of 50 year aged artisnal cheddar from a gourmet place or a bag of 5 year old "might be" cheddar from CVS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 09:52 AM

419 posts, read 446,164 times
Another thing that Downtown lacks is a place to gas up. Having worked in the hotel industry Downtown, I know that there is a need for it. People were not keen about having to got to the North or South Side then having to find their way back onto the Interstate in confusing Pittsburgh just to buy gasoline before their long journey home. A Giant Eagle Express would fill both the niche of small scale grocer with prepared foods and also have gas pumps. Such a store would have to be on an outer portion of the Golden Triangle as the gas pumps would require more acreage. Of course, such a store on the fringes would defeat the purpose of a centralized location to pick up the ingredients for the planned evening meal of chicken parmesan with pasta and salad after leaving your job at PPG Place on your way home to your residence Downtown. A fringe store would probably be more beneficial to the Downtown worker commuting by car that lives in the burbs who could gas up and pick up something for dinner. Of course, that same commuter could have picked up something at their Market District in Bethel Park or Wexford. So it kind of defeats the purpose of catering to the needs of a
growing population Downtown. I still say bring back Donahoe's.http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...QqiLO3lR5DAr0w

Last edited by Rocket88; 11-06-2014 at 10:33 AM..

Old 11-06-2014, 10:08 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
Another thing that Downtown lacks is a place to gas up. Having worked in the hotel industry Downtown, I know that there is a need for it. People were not keen about having to got to the North or South Side then having to find their way back onto the Interstate in confusing Pittsburgh just to buy gasoline before their long journey home. A Giant Eagle Express would fill both the niche of small scale grocer with prepared foods and also have gas pumps. Such a store would have to be on an outer portion of the Golden Triangle as the gas pumps would require more acreage. Of course, such a store on the fringes would defeat the purpose of a centralized location to pick up the ingredients for the planned evening meal of chicken parmesan and pasta after leaving your job at PPG Place on your way home to your residence Downtown. A fringe store would probably be more beneficial to the Downtown worker commuting by car that lives in the burbs who could gas up and pick up something for dinner. Of course, that same commuter could have picked up something at their Market District in Bethel Park or Wexford. So it kind of defeats the purpose of catering to the needs of a
growing population Downtown. I still say bring back Donahoe's.http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...QqiLO3lR5DAr0w
Now we are talkin'!

I think there are problems with the possibility of ground contamination with gas tanks, though, aren't there?
I can recall the gas station at the corner of Wood St. and the Blvd of the Allies, didn't the tire place on Ft Duquesne Blvd have pumps at some point in the distant past, as well?

Old 11-06-2014, 10:31 AM

419 posts, read 446,164 times
Quote:
Now we are talkin'!

I think there are problems with the possibility of ground contamination with gas tanks, though, aren't there?
I can recall the gas station at the corner of Wood St. and the Blvd of the Allies, didn't the tire place on Ft Duquesne Blvd have pumps at some point in the distant past, as well?
Their used to be Gulf station on Fort Duquesne near the current Goodyear store. It closed about fifteen years ago. In is now parking on property owned by the Cultural District.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:34 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Another thing that Downtown lacks is a place to gas up. Having worked in the hotel industry Downtown, I know that there is a need for it. People were not keen about having to got to the North or South Side then having to find their way back onto the Interstate in confusing Pittsburgh just to buy gasoline before their long journey home.
Which is I guess why that station on Fifth in the Hill District can charge so much.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:19 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Technically, that is Uptown, or "Soho", and possibly another unofficial name. Yea, wow, they are exorbitant. They do have a beautiful black cat that slinks around there, which makes gas pump rape less unethical.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:14 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Their used to be Gulf station on Fort Duquesne near the current Goodyear store. It closed about fifteen years ago. In is now parking on property owned by the Cultural District.
Gulf was at 9th and Ft. Duquesne on the site of the current Capa School.

Texaco was on Ft. Duquesne and 7th St., across from where the new apartment house is now.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:39 PM

697 posts, read 778,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Technically, that is Uptown, or "Soho", and possibly another unofficial name. Yea, wow, they are exorbitant. They do have a beautiful black cat that slinks around there, which makes gas pump rape less unethical.
Sigh. Someday I hope that the term "rape" isn't used so casually.

On topic, for the reasons mentioned, I don't anticipate seeing another gas station downtown but the Strip may have potential. If Penn. Mac stayed open later that would be a good place to grab cheeses, veggies, etc.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:42 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Gulf was at 9th and Ft. Duquesne on the site of the current Capa School.

Texaco was on Ft. Duquesne and 7th St., across from where the new apartment house is now.
Wasn't the one at Wood and Blvd of the Allies a Gulf station also?

Old 11-06-2014, 02:57 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Wasn't the one at Wood and Blvd of the Allies a Gulf station also?
I remember the gas station, I didn't think it was a Gulf as I can't picture Gulf's colors there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh