Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 03:56 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
That was 4+ years ago. A LOT has changed in 4+ years. Pittsburgh is revitalized trendy. The twentysomethings and others like myself don't buy houses, they rent. Southside is not "in".
Rent prices have remained very stable in southside and are actually considerably higher than lawrenceville. This should tell anyone that there are a lot of people who want to live there. New construction not being factored in here as they are pretty comparable rent wise in both areas.

not saying that there is a trend toward other areas, but 10 years ago pretty much no other neighborhoods had the type of draw that the southside had. Although the sales prices have seemed to decline a bit ( again not talking new construction) there has been no decline in people living in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 05:23 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
The Southside would be the best place to live in the city if it wasn't Bromageddon Thursday - Saturday in my opinion. You have all the amenities everyone craves all in one walkable space. Unfortunately the appeal of living down there is tainted due to the insanity that occurs on a weekly basis.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:08 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Which can be dangerous. Look at the Southside. When I first came here the talk was all Carson, Carson, Carson. Now I don't know anyone who wants to live there. The current buzz is the Northside.
You have a really bad history of making gross stereotypes based upon very limited information. As others have said, while prices have dropped back a bit in South Side, they are still among the highest in the city, so it's not like it has had a total collapse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
I dunno, I've found it does come in handy when we're having a large gathering and we can direct the guys to pee in the basement, which helps keep the actual bathroom traffic from getting backed up.

Also, it's a lovely convenience when I'm in the middle of loading the washer and realize I really have to pee.
I said all but useless, not useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
Some would call it a market correction. Not unlike what L-ville will eventually experience. There is ultimately a limit to the market for these row houses and as people age or grow out of them, the market will become "heavy" with supply.
IMHO South Side houses have a few issues that Lawrenceville houses do not, at least if we're discounting the new construction.

1. South Side's housing stock was never as good. The neighborhood was about half frame rowhouses to begin with. And while there are scattered cases of semi-grand rowhouses in South Side, it's nothing like Lawrenceville were there's entire streets of larger-size houses.

2. For whatever reason, South Side is just a lot more remuddled than Lawrenceville. Not that Lawrenceville looks good compared to the North Side or anything, but on a lot of blocks in the South Side you can't find a single house with an intact facade.

3. South Side was just built more structurally dense than Lawrenceville. Probably half or more of Lawrenceville's housing stock has alley access, which means off-street parking is a possibility for many. In contrast, alleys like Larkins Way in the South Side are almost completely crammed with alley housing.

South Side's real estate prices remain higher I think for two reasons - a manifestly better business district, and more new construction, which will of course command a significant premium. But in another 20 years I'd be shocked if Lawrenceville wasn't a substantively more expensive neighborhood, since gentrification will fill in the gaps in Butler Street and result in new construction townhouses by the dozens down by the river.

Come to think of it, I wonder if South Side's market is being hurt by having new construction apartments coming on the market so much as well. You don't need to live in an old mill house with all the character ripped out of it any longer unless you really want to (or can't afford anything better) because there are choices available for nearly any budget.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:11 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

South Side's real estate prices remain higher I think for two reasons - a manifestly better business district, and more new construction, which will of course command a significant premium. But in another 20 years I'd be shocked if Lawrenceville wasn't a substantively more expensive neighborhood, since gentrification will fill in the gaps in Butler Street and result in new construction townhouses by the dozens down by the river.

Come to think of it, I wonder if South Side's market is being hurt by having new construction apartments coming on the market so much as well. You don't need to live in an old mill house with all the character ripped out of it any longer unless you really want to (or can't afford anything better) because there are choices available for nearly any budget.
the rental price in s side will always remain strong due to the proximity of both pitt and duquesne. Lots of students live in the houses you mention. Or lower income young adults that want to live in the area.

for sales prices I absolutely agree with you. Lawrenceville will become more expensive and I think it will pass by s side in more like 2-3 years.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:56 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
These high prices in Lawrenceville and elsewhere make me optimistic for the rest of the city. There'd be almost no hope for revitalization in most of the city if the few trendy areas were still at bargain basement prices.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:40 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
jeebus...Larryville ain't THAT exciting.
I don't currently live in Lawrenceville...Are you kidding? I would LOVE to live in Lawerenceville! I can't bear the thought, though, that if / when I EVER buy a freaking house, it will probably be in one of the western neighborhoods. I will just not have money or desire to spend close to $200k on a rowhome, and I will never have time to buy/live/fixer up one that is cheap but in disrepair.

Yes, Lawrenceville is fun, and fully functional! I could envision a life there for 15 years or so.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:06 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
I would LOVE to live in Lawerenceville! I can't bear the thought, though, that if / when I EVER buy a freaking house, it will probably be in one of the western neighborhoods.
Western neighborhoods rock! Just attended our neighborhood Christmas party where we all commended each other on our brilliance in buying awesome houses for about half what you'd pay in the trendy eastern 'hoods. Alcohol was involved.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:24 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Western neighborhoods rock! Just attended our neighborhood Christmas party where we all commended each other on our brilliance in buying awesome houses for about half what you'd pay in the trendy eastern 'hoods. Alcohol was involved.

Friday night was a Brookline/Beechview resident party at my house and we had the exact same conversation. Although I believe it is still the truth when discussing it the next day, although a half dozen sazeracs really helped get the conversation flowing....

Old 12-22-2014, 01:07 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Friday night was a Brookline/Beechview resident party at my house and we had the exact same conversation. Although I believe it is still the truth when discussing it the next day, although a half dozen sazeracs really helped get the conversation flowing....
I had to google Sazerac

Old 12-22-2014, 01:17 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,828,477 times
I had to google Brookline/Beechview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh