Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 03:18 PM

141 posts, read 722,037 times

Advertisements

Bridgeville- okay, but have to deal w/Ft Pitt Tunnels, unless someone can recommend a back way to Oakland

Jefferson Hills- blech, Rt 51 is a nightmare at all times. Stay away!!

Moon Twp- again, ft pitt tunnels, and google has you at 33 mins...which means an hour at least.

Cranberry Twp- again, over an hour

Jeanette- over an hour

Allison Park- not terrible, but you would have to deal with Rt 28, which is perpetually undergoing construction. If you are thinking in this area, Shaler is close by and is an option as well.

When looking on google maps, take any of their times listed for travel and double it for Pgh rush hour. Oakland zip code is 15213. And also note that Oakland rush hour starts around 3 (hospital shifts are 7-3)

I would recommend:
Crafton
Ingram
Regent Square
Squirrel Hill
Greenfield
Highland Park

Notice all these neighborhoods can get you to Oakland easily by bus. Parking in Oakland is not only sparce but expensive to boot. And anywhere that you can park for free you can forget about your stereo when you get back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 03:38 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
What do you mean "hottest"?
Lots of development (some would say sprawl)--it's a very popular area.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:55 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,612,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
What do you mean "hottest"?
He means it receives the most media hype, and hence is the fastest growing, and hence has the most over-inflated home prices, and hence will be overly expensive to rent, and hence is at a higher risk for eventual real estate crash.

But on the bright side, everybody will think you're cool if you live there...and to some people that is the most important thing.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:59 PM

85 posts, read 335,627 times
I agree you should check out Sq Hill, Greenfield, Regent Square. You should be able to find a reasonable single family home rental in these areas.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:05 PM

511 posts, read 1,937,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
He means...........
I don't kneed some gloom and doom Moderator cut: PERSON speaking for me.....

Cranberry is seeing alot of growth, both industrially and housing.

I of course agree with my first suggestion to you, Squirrel Hill, along with where we live, which is Regent Square/Point Breeze area.

Last edited by Yac; 01-11-2008 at 02:37 AM.. Reason: personal attacks are really unnecessary :)

Old 01-10-2008, 07:12 PM

75 posts, read 375,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghtebbie View Post
Bridgeville- okay, but have to deal w/Ft Pitt Tunnels, unless someone can recommend a back way to Oakland

Jefferson Hills- blech, Rt 51 is a nightmare at all times. Stay away!!
51 is a nightmare at all times (and getting worse) but anybody from the J. Hills knows that the way to get to Oakland is Route 885. This way takes you down to Mifflin Rd. and across the Glenwood bridge. After you go through Hazelwood on 2nd. Ave. you make a right on Bates St. Which takes you right up to Central Oakland. 51 is for amatuers

Old 01-10-2008, 08:03 PM

64 posts, read 240,823 times
Jefferson Hills is the closest. If you take 885 it would be under 30 minutes. Probably closer to twenty. Jefferson Hills is a very nice area with a great school district. It is quite large though. It tends to very rural compared to other areas of Allegheny County. Kinda of reminds me of Peters Township, lots of newer construction with McMansions popping up lately. More established older neighborhoods by the river towards Elizabeth and on the other side of town towards Pleasant Hills. Pleasant Hills could be a good option also. My wife works at Magee and it seems everyone she works with is from Pleasant Hills. Whitehall would also be a good choice with a shorter drive. Bethel Park or South Park are also nice also but the drive would get pretty long.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:45 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,554,896 times
what are you thoughts on Oakdale? Safe? Far from Magee? If I mapquest it...it does not seem to far...if I google it, it seems further...

OY!

Old 01-11-2008, 01:47 PM

17 posts, read 59,278 times
Bridgeville - Nice, middle class area. Decent school district. A happy medium in between the airport and the city. Kind of similar to Greentree, wouldn't you say native Pittsburghers?

Moon Twp - wonderful area near airport, robinson mall, tons of shopping and dining. Great place to raise kids and to have them go to school. Houses range between middle and upper class. This is a fairly newly developed area as well. I dont know if you would enjoy driving on the Parkway to Magee in Oakland during rush hour though. You'll have to learn the back ways

Cranberry Twp - the fastest growing/newer developed area outside of Pittsburgh. It's Butler county so your taxes will be a little cheaper.

Jeanette - forget it. Ghetto area. Very far commute from Magee and the city. I went to school in Greensburg for 2 years and I hated driving through Jeanette for work and what not.

Allison Park - very nice area, probably your best bet if you have children. North Allegheny School District is the wealthiest district in PA so there is a lot of money put into your children's education if they are in that district. Close to Ross Park Mall which is very nice/upscale and lots of dining...not to mention North Park has a public pool, a nice lake to walk around/fish in etc when the weathers nice. Not a bad commute into Oakland at all.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:49 PM

17 posts, read 59,278 times
Oh and one more thing, Moon, Robinson, Oakdale, Bridgeville...those areas are all near each other, West of the city. They are basically all going to be the same commute to Oakland which is not bad if theres not traffic. But the parkway and the tunnels in the morning and between 4-6ish can be a total mess and very frustrating. Have you looked into the Fox Chapel area? Thats where I lived when I commuted to Pitt and it took me 20 min. Its also an award winning school district, close to the zoo and the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh