Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 05:19 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,694,123 times

Advertisements

I don't want to start an endless dialogue -- I just realized that with all the water/humidity Pittsburgh has, you must have mosquitoes. So I did some quite research: Oh yes, you have them. (According to news articles, you had an 'epidemic' of them in summer 2014.)

All I'm interested in is: how do you cope with them in the summers? Because they are really bad in the early mornings and late afternoons in summer -- so my research states.

Use mosquito repellant? Stay inside as much as possible?

I'm asking only because in the nine years I've lived in NM, I don't think I've seen nine mosquitoes -- maybe nine. There weren't an abundance of them in Southern CA either. It's been so very long since I lived in any place with a mosquito problem, I have no current and good knowledge of how to handle mosquitoes (other than to stay indoors).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 06:09 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,590,165 times
They really are not that bad unless you go out in the woods. We have three rivers. That is moving water and mosquitoes can't breed in moving water. There are not many lakes or ponds or swampy places around here. They like stagnant still wet places like swamps and junk laying around with water collecting in it like old tires. They are most active at dusk and dawn so you might want to just avoid walking in the woods at those times of the day, if you enjoy walking in the local parks. Living in the city it is unlikely you will even notice them at those times.

If you do venture out at times when they are active and you are bothered by them you ca use something like Deep Woods off or Avon's Skin so Soft which does a good job of repelling them.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:28 AM

778 posts, read 840,317 times
In the city, they are barely noticeable. Keep your yard free of standing water and you're fine.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:38 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,640 times
with years of shuttling pack and forth between parents in Point Breeze and Pine Township, I learned that the city neighborhoods have almost no mosquitos, while the suburbs can. Sometimes it just depends on whether there is standing water nearby. Pittsburgh is nowhere near as bad as where I live now - Charlotte

Old 03-29-2015, 07:10 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,164,250 times
I have lived in Pittsburgh 7 years and I have not had one mosquito bite. And I am someone mosquitoes love! I find Pittsburgh very non-buggy.Well, except for stinkbugs.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:17 AM

That's all I wanted to know. Thanks so much!

Old 03-29-2015, 08:07 AM

19 posts, read 22,597 times
if in damp areas mosquitoes are everywhere

way worse in places like NJ

Old 03-29-2015, 09:10 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
I had way more when I lived in Redwood City, CA near Marsh Rd. Our development was built on drained marshland so we got a good number of mosquitoes in the summer for a place with relatively low humidity. I've been pleasantly surprised at how few I get here.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:08 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
I sit on my screenless deck in the evenings in summer and have never been bitten. There are woods and a stream behind my residence.

Deer ticks and Lyme are more of a concern. One of my sisters contracted it a couple years ago in Westmoreland County.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
I sit on my screenless deck in the evenings in summer and have never been bitten. There are woods and a stream behind my residence.

Deer ticks and Lyme are more of a concern. One of my sisters contracted it a couple years ago in Westmoreland County.
Oh shoot -- hadn't thought about those! Well, stick around here long enough, and you find out the good AND the bad and the ugly. :-) But that is good! And nothing I've heard (so far) from any C-D Pittsburgh resident is making me change my mind.

Thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh