Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 04:43 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastad View Post
I'm talking in regards to looks and culture. I want a place that looks like Carson and has the same types of cool little stores.
I have an ex who liked Pittsburgh and also Hoboken. Not sure if that's what you're looking for or it's in your price range, but from an architectural standpoint it's similar. Young area too.

Philly has areas that'll give you the same nightlife feel as E. Carson, but my brother moved there recently from Pittsburgh (NYC before that) and he isn't liking it.

Manayunk near Philly looks like it has this vibe. Although it seems small.

Baltimore has the harbor area. Similar vibe to Pittsburgh. Still has cold winters though.

I'm sure DC has something that fits the bill, but I've never liked that city.

Nashville, surprisingly, only has four blocks of Honky Tonks and a few other underwhelming areas for nightlife. I briefly looked at it as an option, but passed in the end.

Supposedly Savannah, GA has a nightlife in the historic district that's on par with E. Carson, but I haven't had the chance to check it out yet.

Visited Charleston and while the nightlife is decent it's a world away from E. Carson. I lived in Pittsburgh and love the south side. I thought I was going to like Charleston, but for some reason I didn't.

Portland has this on a lot smaller scale.

South Beach is obviously going to give you a nightlife that puts Carson to shame. Not the same vibe though. It's pricey by comparison. Fort Lauderdale is a decent option here. Not the same as Pittsburgh, but I've had a few friends move from Pittsburgh and they liked it.

Milwaukee/Minneapolis will give you something close, but again these are cold areas.

Chicago is another that goes beyond Pittsburgh. Cold winters.

Some of my friends like Athens, GA. Definitely a college nightlife scene though.

New Orleans is going to give you the shops and nightlife, but not a Pittsburgh vibe. Random crime is also a concern. Personally it's not my scene.

Columbus, OH might be a wildcard for you if you like OSU football. Personally I think it just shows how you can have a long stretch of bars/shops like E. Carson, but it pales in comparison.

San Diego's gas lamp district and pacific beach.

Atlanta might be worth a look depending on your personal tastes.

Austin is probably the closest you're going to get to that long string of bars/shops with great nightlife vibe you're looking for and has a music scene.

Anyway, here are the top three warmer (and affordable) areas I think you should check out to get something close to Pittsburgh's E. Carson St.:

1. Austin
2. Fort Lauderdale
3. Savannah/New Orleans/Athens, GA (Depending on your personal tastes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 05:29 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
I'm not sure I would call a Baltimore winter cold compared to Pittsburgh. It is 6-7 degrees warmer than Pittsburgh in the winter and gets only half of the snow we get on average.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I'm not sure I would call a Baltimore winter cold compared to Pittsburgh. It is 6-7 degrees warmer than Pittsburgh in the winter and gets only half of the snow we get on average.
I doubt most people would consider that "much warmer" as the OP asked about.

However, for a nightlife experience it's comparable.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:57 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
I'm sure DC has something that fits the bill, but I've never liked that city.

it has Adams Morgan, Shaw, and the H street area, which are all dense nightlife, but not as extensive as south side. Also M street in Georgetown, but that is more oriented toward upscale shopping. and a few miles away is King St. in old town Alexandria, but that is a little more boutique shopping oriented also.

In Baltimore, Fells Point / Little Italy is more like the south side than the Inner Harbor is. Inner Harbor is kind of like a better version of Station Square.

Last edited by _Buster; 06-22-2015 at 08:19 AM..

Old 06-22-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
In Baltimore, Fells Point / Little Italy is more like the south side than the Inner Harbor is. Inner Harbor is kind of like a better version of Station Square.
Fells Point isn't considered a harbor area too?

I was thinking of the Lancaster St. area fwiw.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:50 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
it has Adams Morgan, Shaw, and the H street area, which are all dense nightlife, but not as extensive as south side. Also M street in Georgetown, but that is more oriented toward upscale shopping. and a few miles away is King St. in old town Alexandria, but that is a little more boutique shopping oriented also.

I'm glad to see I am not the only one who thought that way!

Old 06-22-2015, 01:48 PM

419 posts, read 446,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
I'm glad to see I am not the only one who thought that way!
Hopefully Station Square can re-create itself with new housing on the horizon for it's eastern side. This ideally would help tie it into the westernmost portion of the South Side. From there I foresee within the next decade the area from the Riverwalk to Tenth Street to see a bit of a housing boom in the form of revitalizing existing structures and also for construction of new structures for housing. I mean, if they spruce up the riverfront in that area along with the rest of the area it would be a dynamic place to live. The location is just far away from the madness of East Carson, yet close enough if you want to join the party or even for the daytime amenities of one of Pittsburgh's great neighborhoods. That stretch is reminiscent of parts of Lawrenceville a decade or so ago but IMHO a better location. I would put my money on this area. We need a name for this part of South Side. How about Flats West?
i

Old 06-22-2015, 02:24 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Ok... just admit that you have no idea what you are talking about and give up already.

Thanks, I new it was obviously laughable but I didn't want to bother with having to count it.
I was referring to quality and universal appeal. Carson Street appeals to a very specific, and limited demographic. A nightlife district with more ****ty bars isn't necessarily better.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:13 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,086,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I was referring to quality and universal appeal. Carson Street appeals to a very specific, and limited demographic. A nightlife district with more ****ty bars isn't necessarily better.
Well you are simply wrong. You have a very limited perception of the Southside in general. Take it from someone who lives here, there is a very diverse scene that congregates along East Carson street by day and by night.

While 10th -18th is usually overrun with college kids on the weekend nights, the stretch from 20th to 28th serves a calmer more upscale young professional crowd. It never gets too crazy outside of St. Patty's Day.

There are some cool and unique bars on that latter stretch like The Library, Acacia, Smokin Joes, OTB, Pipers, Double Wide. Not to mention a handful of upscale restaurants as well as everything off into the Works. Yeah there are dives scattered throughout too, but that adds to the charm and variety.

I have even noticed more and more groups of older people and families that feel comfortable hanging out until later along this stretch, which obviously starts to wane off as you get down closer to 18th.

There are also the diverse crowds that The Rex, Smiling Moose, and Club Cafe bring in with their frequent live performances on any day of the week.

Even though the street gets stereotyped into being a wasteland of drunken college madness on the weekend by the news media, that doesn't mean that the entire street and adjacent neighborhood is defined by that label alone.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:38 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
Hopefully Station Square can re-create itself with new housing on the horizon for it's eastern side. This ideally would help tie it into the westernmost portion of the South Side. From there I foresee within the next decade the area from the Riverwalk to Tenth Street to see a bit of a housing boom in the form of revitalizing existing structures and also for construction of new structures for housing. I mean, if they spruce up the riverfront in that area along with the rest of the area it would be a dynamic place to live. The location is just far away from the madness of East Carson, yet close enough if you want to join the party or even for the daytime amenities of one of Pittsburgh's great neighborhoods. That stretch is reminiscent of parts of Lawrenceville a decade or so ago but IMHO a better location. I would put my money on this area. We need a name for this part of South Side. How about Flats West?
i
Lived down on 5th and Carson for a couple of years in the mid-90's. Loved it there. You're right about its potential. It's already a pretty cool place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh