Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 11:43 AM

7 posts, read 7,593 times

Advertisements

How safe is biking through various eastern areas of Pittsburgh area during the day for an Asian male? Say Point Breeze, Homewood, Wilkinsburg, Swissvale, Braddock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 12:09 PM

9 posts, read 6,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshady View Post
How safe is biking through various eastern areas of Pittsburgh area during the day for an Asian male? Say Point Breeze, Homewood, Wilkinsburg, Swissvale, Braddock?
From your list I cannot comment on Braddock (never rode the bike there), but daytime biking through the other areas in your list should be fine. Pick your routes well, wear a helmet and avoid Penn.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:26 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,102,536 times
Safe if you have good common sense and don't allow yourself to get into a position where you can't ride away quickly. Groups of kids were mugging riders near the Food Co-Op on Penn some years back. Just be careful and watch your 6.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:44 PM

831 posts, read 879,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshady View Post
You'll likely hear it's all safe, but I would recommend finding an alternate route through Homewood.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:43 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
You'll likely hear it's all safe, but I would recommend finding an alternate route through Homewood.
Thomas Ave is the recommended alternate route to avoid Penn and I've never had an issue. I might not go much north of Hamilton but he has no reason to.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:29 PM

9 posts, read 6,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Thomas Ave is the recommended alternate route to avoid Penn and I've never had an issue. I might not go much north of Hamilton but he has no reason to.
Thomas Ave is the recommended route, I should have mentioned that. I like Hamilton better when heading to Target (Thomas dead ends on Washington Blvd, it's easier to cross Washington Blvd at the light with Hamilton.).

Yes, Homewood can be sketchy, but the OP said "during the day". I have never had issues on Hamilton riding during daylight hours.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:36 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsANewBurgh View Post
Thomas Ave is the recommended route, I should have mentioned that. I like Hamilton better when heading to Target (Thomas dead ends on Washington Blvd, it's easier to cross Washington Blvd at the light with Hamilton.).

Yes, Homewood can be sketchy, but the OP said "during the day". I have never had issues on Hamilton riding during daylight hours.
Thomas-Dallas-Hamilton works. Dallas is pretty potholed though.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:54 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
In case the OP is new to town, I think it worth clarifying that why avoiding Penn is such an issue. That is, OP seems worried about crime and I think the concerns about Penn have more to do with the spate of drivers killing cyclists on that road.

In Pittsburgh accidents, bicyclists not always to blame | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 07-15-2015, 06:55 PM

7 posts, read 7,593 times
Thanks everyone (esp. Moby Hick for the clarification on Penn). I am not new to the Pittsburgh area but spend almost all my time in Oakland/Shadyside/Squirrel Hill/East Liberty so that's why I am not familiar with the other areas.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:08 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,883 times
I'll start by saying you'll get best results and routes from the bikepgh.org message board.

Pt Breeze - thomas, mcpherson, meade (though there's a dead end that you can still bike through) and Reynolds (but it ends after Lexington) - but there's a private road short cut behind shady side academy - are all great through streets. Don't ride Penn because cars on those streets will run you down.

Frick Park / Woods - You can cut through Frick park which is awesome too. You can get from Reynolds to Forbes or S Braddock at Hutchinson or Commercial by the Irish Center on relatively smooth crushed limestone trails. You can get to Swissvale or Braddock by crossing Commercial and going towards the river and going through Swisshelm Park or riding next to the railroad tracks. Ask on bikepgh if it has been blocked again, but it is a no-traffic route!

Homewood, Hamilton has a lot of bike traffic from 5th to Dallas and then sometimes to Homewood Ave. After that it is less and the neighborhood is a bit rougher and safety could be a concern because of crime and being jumped. I'd avoid further east than Homewood Ave after dark.

Swissvale - S Braddock isn't very wide in many parts, but does have stop signs. Ask on bike-pga

Braddock - it is a scooby doo ghost town.

Wilkinsburg - depends on which parts. Just use your wits and be safe after dark to avoid criminals. Penn where it splits to Ardmore is high / fast traffic and I wouldn't ride there any time of the day, but there are side streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh