Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 07:56 PM

10 posts, read 7,467 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody, the wife and I are looking to move to Pittsburgh from Raleigh nc. We are originally from the Ny area so we know how winter's could get. I am seeing if anybody could help use out with things. I'll be transferring with the company i work with, she will be starting a pet sitting company (hopefully) if that is a big thing up there. We are looking ar the Southside of the city. Mt lebanon(10 mile radius) we have found so very nice older homes in the lows 200s. My company is located in mt pleastant, how far is that from the area. Traffic should be an issue since i would be starting in the early mornings. So here are the questions
1) is pet sitter big up there
2 ) is there things to do in Pittsburgh
3) is the area safe
4) do you think we will fit in with people
thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 08:27 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Mt. Pleastant is pretty far away; the commute from Pittsburgh or any near suburbs would be pretty miserable.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:38 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
I wouldn't be thinking about Mt Lebanon if my job was in Mt Pleasant.

North Huntington Township and the Norwin School District are excellent and would put you without 30 minutes of your job, and are pretty strictly suburban- Mt. Pleasant is more small town and rural and less attached to Pittsburgh.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:50 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,394,276 times
I would look into rostraver or Greensburg area, mt Lebo is an hour away from mount pleasant.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:29 PM

Pennsylvania has been described as Alabama in between the two major cities, and that was from a southerner, James Carville.

I think you'll find southern-like hospitality out in the furthest reaches of Westmoreland County, like you were used to in NC.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:32 AM

Thank you. I will have to ck out this places. We are looking for a small town(but with character) but close to the city. Alos we loved some of the older homes in mt lebanon that where updated and nicely priced. Also how is the pet sitting in these towns. Thank you for all the help

Old 08-08-2015, 07:59 AM

The City of Pittsburgh is a bit of a hike for a commute to Mt. Pleasant on a daily basis. Some people do it, of course, but they usually had their house in and near Pittsburgh when they landed their Mt. Pleasant jobs or vice versa.

Maybe look at East Huntington/ and the West Overton PA area? It was historically preserved by Helen Clay Frick, looks like a place with character.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:18 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,592 times
if you want to be in the middle areas between pittsburgh and mt pleasant, I would suggest things in the murrysville, export, delmont areas. If you want a little closer to work, greensburg, jeannette, irwin.

it would be over an hour + from mt lebanon and would get old pretty quick for most people. I used to commute from the city to somerset county and it definitely takes a toll on you

Old 08-08-2015, 08:27 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I think Irwin would be your best option, to be quite honest. The public schools are pretty good; the housing prices (and property taxes) are much more reasonable than Mt. Lebanon; it is about a 25-minute commute to Mt. Pleasant; and it is about a half-hour to the city. Irwin itself has a small "Main Street" area with shops and restaurants, and it is very near to shopping areas in Hempfield Townhip, just west of Greensburg (Walmart, Target, Lowe's, Sam's Club, Home Depot, etc.)

Long commutes aren't fun. You'll be miserable living in Mt. Lebanon because the long commute to Mt. Pleasant will make it not seem worthwhile for the premium you'd be paying to live there. As far as pet-sitting is concerned Irwin is surrounded by North Huntingdon Township and is very near to Hempfield Township---two communities with large populations of busy upper-middle-class professional families with a lot of people who commute to Pittsburgh and who would probably really appreciate having someone check in on their pets during the day.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:05 AM

Awsome. Thank you guys/ladies for helping us out. This is deff making it alot easier. I hope we can find something. The whole pittsburgh area just seems so interesting and nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh