Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 11:33 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Pittsburgh has an abundance of ravines and hillsides with little or no development in or on them, so I think using them for bike trails might be a good way for people on bikes to get between neighborhoods while largely avoiding major arterial roads. As an example, a dedicated bike trail through Panther Hollow would provide a direct route from Oakland and Shadyside to the South Side. Also, a dedicated trail that goes alongside either Bigelow Boulevard or the East Busway would provide a direct route between downtown and Bloomfield. Just an idea of mine. What do you guys think?
Yes, there are indeed ways to get around our city via bike without being on roads and there are more possibilities as you mention. If you have a mountain bike, I think the options become much greater because there are paths that are around. That path that goes from Regent Square to Point Breeze comes to mind, or up through the Zoo area that ends up around the tennis courts in Highland Park. There are little cutoffs by rail road tracks around the Strip District that allows you to avoid most of Smallman and more. These little routes could be much better than they are now with little effort, but sadly the amount of red tape would be enormous.

I am not sure why BlackBeauty is going nuts on this thread? It seems to just be a disruption and has nothing to do with anything.

I wish cyclists could get to the city via the busway or near it. That would be nice, but it will never happen I guess. The Friends of the Riverfront are certainly a huge help and so is Bike Pittsburgh. Both organizations are really wonderful to say the least. Being someone that has cycled in Pittsburgh for many decades, I can assure you that things have improved to a level I never thought possible. I still can't believe what I am seeing, but I can understand why it will continue to grow. I really am going to attribute the huge push by young people due to massive college debt. The cost of education for Pennsylvanians is well over $100,000 now for a 4 year degree from a University. Sure the average debt is much lower due to the ways people are financing it that would be hidden from statistics. For example a second mortgage, or a refinance or a loan from an uncle or whatever, not to mention those folks that are paying cash, but in reality the actual cost is over $100,000 in PA. These young people will have roommates and be riding bikes, walking and taking buses. Times are VERY different and they are only going to get worse as college greed continues. Highest paid public university president in the US is at Penn State. What else would you expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 11:37 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
I believe one of the two articles tyovan posted had a boutique moving out of Market Square claiming the construction and lack of parking was the reason. One of the claims is that you have to remove street parking to add a bike lane, but since the boutique in question is in PPG Place, which has tons of parking garages and no bike lanes AFAIK, this is just someone with an axe to grind.
The second article concerned a bikeshare station being in front of a church rectory. Anyone who read the article will know that the city is going to work with the church.

If your complaint is about attracting people to the city, tourists love the bikeshares. This is one conveniently located to the strip. They like that too. Your argument is invalid. If your complaint is you want bikes out of the city because they inconvenience you personally, that's ok, but try not to claim it's about tourist/commerce dollars when it isn't.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:47 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Putting bike lanes on the Busway, has to be the DUMBEST idea on the planet.... More proof that that those who suggested it arent seriously "Pro-Bike lifestyle" they just want the bikes out of the G--DAMN WAY.

Putting bike lanes on the Busway, you might as well put them on the Parkway as well ..... Yinzers will NEVER suggest that, not because of safety issues or anything having to do with speeding vehicles or anything like that... No they deathly afraid of losing a lane of infrastructure to the bikes.

Buses travel on the Busway at 60-70 MPH, and there are a ton of blind spots and curves along the route. Even if you mandate that the Buses are slowed down its still a safety hazard. Then you **** a bunch of commuters off because buses are now traveling slower. Of course the Yinzer doesn't know this because they DONT Use Public Transit or the Busways in the first place, its a waste of infrastructure to them because their beloved cars are forbidden.

Bike Lanes on the Busway is NOT a serious endeavor which should be given another second of thought.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:54 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Putting bike lanes on the Busway, has to be the DUMBEST idea on the planet.... More proof that that those who suggested it arent seriously "Pro-Bike lifestyle" they just want the bikes out of the G--DAMN WAY.

Putting bike lanes on the Busway, you might as well put them on the Parkway as well ..... Yinzers will NEVER suggest that, not because of safety issues or anything having to do with speeding vehicles or anything like that... No they deathly afraid of losing a lane of infrastructure to the bikes.
Thinking outside the box for just a second, couldn't it be possible that someone was just suggesting using the busway route through the ravines as a place for a protected bike lane/trail/sidewalk that is altogether separate from the busway itself? Someone mentioned the physical impossibility of this, and I acknowledge I don't know enough to be able to confirm it, but I do think calling the idea "DUBMEST idea on the planet" is a major exaggeration.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:56 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,102,536 times
I concur, I remember watching the needle go past 70MPH on the old accordion bus as it approached the stop for Hamilton Ave.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:57 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,102,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Thinking outside the box for just a second, couldn't it be possible that someone was just suggesting using the busway route through the ravines as a place for a protected bike lane/trail/sidewalk that is altogether separate from the busway itself? Someone mentioned the physical impossibility of this, and I acknowledge I don't know enough to be able to confirm it, but I do think calling the idea "DUBMEST idea on the planet" is a major exaggeration.
The other holder in the busway corridor is the RR companies, there just isn't room if I was willing to bet what the answer would be.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:00 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Maybe not but the city sure offers more than Red Robin or Olive Garden and people more and more see those places are junk.
You and I see this, Brad, but we do not love spam.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:00 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,354 times
Bike Pittsburgh | Topic: BikeLane on East Busway?

Old 08-12-2015, 12:10 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
I think the city is more interested in bringing people from further away than SWPA suburbs, such as convention, business and tourism visitors.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:31 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Thinking outside the box for just a second, couldn't it be possible that someone was just suggesting using the busway route through the ravines as a place for a protected bike lane/trail/sidewalk that is altogether separate from the busway itself?.
Of course that is what I was suggesting, but I never thought I would need to spell out the obvious. Geez! Not sure what is going on with Blackbeauty on this thread? Strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh