Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 03:01 PM

717 posts, read 1,058,731 times

Advertisements

It would be an absolute travesty if they tore that church down. Buildings like that are what give cities and neighborhoods character and a sense of place. It is highly likely that we will never see buildings with that level of detail and care built again, so every one that is torn down represents an enormous and irrevocable loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 03:06 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
It would be an absolute travesty if they tore that church down. Buildings like that are what give cities and neighborhoods character and a sense of place. It is highly likely that we will never see buildings with that level of detail and care built again, so every one that is torn down represents an enormous and irrevocable loss.
You got a point there.

But it costs a lot of money to maintain the building until a plan comes up for reuse. And once that plan is drawn up, it requires a large investment to do the renovations.

The Methodist synod wants to conclude the matter as quick as possible, they are in the religion business. not real estate.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:30 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post

The Methodist synod wants to conclude the matter as quick as possible, they are in the religion business. not real estate.
That is all well and good, but you would think a church would want what is GOOD for the community. That hideous thing they are proposing is an outrage in an area with so much foot traffic. Goodness talk about a throwback design! Wonder how much they want for the church?

Old 08-21-2015, 03:42 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,392,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
This is pretty sad to say the least!
This is pretty sad really. Wish they could repurpose the church and keep things classy, not build that crap!
Is it a catholic church? One latin mass catholic groups is willing to save and restore older catholic churches in danger of being torn down. But, they need to have the funds, an invitation from the bishop and I think the church needs to have true historical value.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Is it a catholic church? One latin mass catholic groups is willing to save and restore older catholic churches in danger of being torn down. But, they need to have the funds, an invitation from the bishop and I think the church needs to have true historical value.

The old school Latin Mass Catholics just acquired the St. James church in the West End last year, and I think they are using it already.

I don't think they are really well to do, renovating and restoring churches is a very expensive proposition.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:14 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,094,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
It's a Methodist church.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:18 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
If the church is structurally beyond repair, then so be it; tear it down. But if it's torn down, then it needs to be replaced with something much more substantial than that one-story piece of trash.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:32 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
There's now a GoFundMe established by concerned citizen Lindsay Patross to raise money for church renovations. I'm awaiting a response from Lindsay about what will happen to any donated money if the church is demolished for the fifth Starbucks within walking distance prior to making a contribution myself. I mean, I love Starbucks immensely, but I'd much sooner patronize it if they housed themselves in a handsomely-refurbished historic church edifice vs. a building that looks like "Creme de la Cranberry".

Support Friends of Albright by Lindsay Patross - GoFundMe

Old 08-21-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
There's now a GoFundMe established by concerned citizen Lindsay Patross to raise money for church renovations. I'm awaiting a response from Lindsay about what will happen to any donated money if the church is demolished for the fifth Starbucks within walking distance prior to making a contribution myself. I mean, I love Starbucks immensely, but I'd much sooner patronize it if they housed themselves in a handsomely-refurbished historic church edifice vs. a building that looks like "Creme de la Cranberry".

Support Friends of Albright by Lindsay Patross - GoFundMe
Working on these old churches is very expensive. The contract to work on just the steeple of the 1st Baptist Church on Bigelow was well over a million.

Church renovations are fine, but they really need to be planned with the planned future use of the edifice.

Do you see Albright as a good place for condos- like Angel Arms, or perhaps as a nightclub like St. Elizabeth's in the strip.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:34 AM

423 posts, read 629,294 times
I'm not a fan of one-story developments in the city, especially in that area, so I'd hope to see more density there on that growing strip. I'd also like to see a parking garage beneath the building, rather than a sea of asphalt surrounding the island of retail.

But you can't begrudge a developer for buying a property nobody else wants, and that the congregation and community can no longer support. Just a reminder that not every old building is "historic" and worth saving. Neighborhoods are doomed to stagnation if they're not able to move past the structures that were there generations ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh