Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 05:45 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times

Advertisements

Just read about this today in the Post-Gazette. Iron City plans to tear down its Lawrenceville plant. The plans are apparently opposed by the city, because the company owes the city money.

The main buildings are from the 1860s and architecturally significant, in my opinion. It would be a great loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 05:56 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,277 times
I can't imagine that there couldn't be some use for the buildings that front on Liberty Ave.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:31 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,570 times
What's going on with Iron City? First they try to move its bottling operations and now they want to demolish the entire plant. Could the end really be near for the company?

Old 10-26-2009, 04:38 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
What's going on with Iron City? First they try to move its bottling operations and now they want to demolish the entire plant. Could the end really be near for the company?
A buyout by a bigger brewer is more likely, though I see neither death nor buyout as the most likely short-term situation.

The production move to Latrobe for better or worse gained them substantial production efficiencies, and did so more cost-effectively than updating the Lawrenceville plant would have. They are after all a business, and they have to do what it takes to remain one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
I can't imagine that there couldn't be some use for the buildings that front on Liberty Ave.
For what, and more importantly for ICBC, at what cost?

Old 10-26-2009, 06:55 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
I may be wrong, but I think they're talking about tearing down four buildings that can't be seen from Liberty Ave. There must be some old unused buildings back there that are in disrepair. By tearing them down, it makes the property more attractive for redevelopment. The old HQ building on Liberty is in pretty goor repair.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:59 AM

712 posts, read 1,971,412 times
If you read the articles published about the history of Iron City Beer, you would read that the company was mismanaged for a long time.

The one owner - who back in the heyday of the 70's - when the steel mills were still running and a shot and a beer were king, was just a young man who owned a garbage company - "Mafia" who used the place as a tax write off and then ran it into the ground.

The original brewery is still there. The buildings cited for demolition have been unused since at least the 50's and the roofs are falling in and the city would have condemned them a long time ago - had they been left on the property.

I will say almost nothing of the last owner, except that he prolonged the agony and did the same as the previous owners and his day came in court when he was involved with inside trading and all sorts of money laundering scheme's.

As far as I am concerned, the beer they brewed in Eden Nc did not taste the same as the beer brewed in Pittsburgh. You have to remember that the water makes a big difference.

The company said that they had made payments on the water bill, but still owed money on the sewage.

If you think about it. You can make beer as long as you have a large amount of water. But the sewage goes down the drain - no matter if you pay the bill or not.

I worked for a short time at the Straub Brewery in St. Mary's Pa on a time and materials job when I worked construction back in the 90's. I can tell you for a fact that they poured more beer down the drain then you could drink in a lifetime - every day of the week.

Only the top layer of beer gets used in the vessel and the bottom 1/4th goes down the drain every time they move the beer from one vessel to the other. it might get moved 6 to 8 times from the time they brew it until it is polished and put out for production.

Everyday a guy with rubber boots takes the cap off the tanks and walks into them with a fire hose and cleans out the tanks - after they moved the beer from the one tank to the next.

I guess a lesser brewery would just can the stuff and sell it as generic beer, but they dumped it down the drain. There was nothing wrong with it, just that the sediment settled down to the bottom and you wouldn't want that in your beer.

All the city is looking for is more money. You never hear about when honest - hard working citizens pays their bills every month. But forget about a month or two's bills and they will have your name in the paper and will be crying on everyone's shoulder about how they lost money.

The city will never tell you about the millions of dollars a year they made from selling Iron City Brewery the water.

I think they should just cut their losses and forget about it.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:08 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
^^^ Well the city's position is they already cut a lot of losses in a deal that was supposed to keep production within the city limits and they got stabbed in the back.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:35 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Quote:
The city will never tell you about the millions of dollars a year they made from selling Iron City Brewery the water.
That statement supposes that the Water and Sewer Authority operates at a profit, as opposed to a loss or break even. I can't claim to know one way or the other, but I suspect it's not a cash cow...

Old 10-26-2009, 01:13 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
A buyout by a bigger brewer is more likely, though I see neither death nor buyout as the most likely short-term situation.

The production move to Latrobe for better or worse gained them substantial production efficiencies, and did so more cost-effectively than updating the Lawrenceville plant would have. They are after all a business, and they have to do what it takes to remain one.

For what, and more importantly for ICBC, at what cost?
I agree, and I think that their decision is understandable. I however don't buy Iron City anymore, I really only bought it since it was a Pittsburgh thing. If I want to buy "local" I'll just stick with Yuengling I guess.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:21 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
All they ever had to do was make a beer that tastes good, and they would still be making money. Guess what? That beer always tasted lousy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh