Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 06:39 AM

831 posts, read 879,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The reason isn't my concern. My point is, that compared to the suburbs of almost every major metro, Pittsburgh's are shabby, underdeveloped and/or depressing, and the roads leading into the city make access more difficult than it should be.
Really? Fox Chapel, Plum Boro, Murrysville, Cranberry Township, Wexford, Upper St. Clair are shabby? Underdeveloped? Depressing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 06:41 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Rich, high profile people prefer to live this way. People like Teresa Heinz want to live on large estates without sidewalks and shoulders to park on to keep the riff raff out. Some people refer not to live in a bustling, walkable, central locale.
It's not just rich, high profile people. Many people prefer it.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:43 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
Really? Fox Chapel, Plum Boro, Murrysville, Cranberry Township, Wexford, Upper St. Clair are shabby? Underdeveloped? Depressing?
I was wondering the same thing. The more I read the more I realize how few must actually venture out of the city.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:11 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Rich, high profile people prefer to live this way. People like Teresa Heinz want to live on large estates without sidewalks and shoulders to park on to keep the riff raff out. Some people refer not to live in a bustling, walkable, central locale.
Tell that to all the rich, high profile people living in NY and London. A certain type of person prefers rural seclusion, but it has nothing to do with their wealth.

Quote:

Western Pennsylvanians overrate these towns because they are the local seats of affluence and aspirational white flight destinations. Add that to the fact that, when visiting other cities, one tends not to spend a lot of time in the suburbs, giving a lot of people a limited frame of reference. With the exception of Mt Lebanon, there's nothing to be desired in Pittsburgh's suburbs as compared to the suburbs of other mid-sized or major cities.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Western Pennsylvanians overrate these towns because they are the local seats of affluence and aspirational white flight destinations. Add that to the fact that, when visiting other cities, one tends not to spend a lot of time in the suburbs, giving a lot of people a limited frame of reference. With the exception of Mt Lebanon, there's nothing to be desired in Pittsburgh's suburbs as compared to the suburbs of other mid-sized or major cities.
You said that they were shabby, underdeveloped, and depressing. In what ways are they that?

Old 09-09-2015, 07:21 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,547 times
Quote:
Tell that to all the rich, high profile people living in NY and London. A certain type of person prefers rural seclusion, but it has nothing to do with their wealth.
Most rich, high profile people prefer seclusion. I am sure Teresa Heinz has town houses in DC and other major cities, but it is no accident that her primary residence is in a secluded suburb. Just like the Clintons prefer to live in Westchester, NY in a town that is very similar to Fox Chapel. When you are rich, the suburbs are ideal. You are centrally located with easy access, yet can afford to have a lot of space and not be crammed in an ugly sprawled out subdivision.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:21 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
You said that they were shabby, underdeveloped, and depressing. In what ways are they that?

and/or. Most of them are one or more of the above.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
and/or. Most of them are one or more of the above.
In what ways are Fox Chapel, Plum Boro, Murrysville, Cranberry Township, Wexford and/or Upper St. Clair shabby, underdeveloped and depressing?

Please elaborate.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:32 AM

716 posts, read 766,022 times
I don't want to speak for others here but I do understand the general sentiment that even Pittsburgh's inner ring suburbs are quite lackluster when you compare them to the suburbs of a larger city. For example, where are the Main Line suburbs like Philadelphia's Ardmore? Where is something comparable to Boston's Salem? Where is something like Alexandria, VA? Fox Chapel, Plum, Murrysville, Cranberry, Wexford, USC, and even Mt. Lebanon and Sewickley don't really compare to these areas at all on the basis of things like accessibility to the city and convenient amenities. For me it's not the typical suburbs vs. city debate that we've all grown tired of on here, rather, the debate should be more about Pittsburgh's suburbs vs the suburbs of other cities.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:40 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
I don't want to speak for others here but I do understand the general sentiment that even Pittsburgh's inner ring suburbs are quite lackluster when you compare them to the suburbs of a larger city. For example, where are the Main Line suburbs like Philadelphia's Ardmore? Where is something comparable to Boston's Salem? Where is something like Alexandria, VA? Fox Chapel, Plum, Murrysville, Cranberry, Wexford, USC, and even Mt. Lebanon and Sewickley don't really compare to these areas at all on the basis of things like accessibility to the city and convenient amenities. For me it's not the typical suburbs vs. city debate that we've all grown tired of on here, rather, the debate should be more about Pittsburgh's suburbs vs the suburbs of other cities.
Tell me how mount Lebanon (one of the most walkable neighborhoods in the state) is not connected to the city.

It has 5 bus lines, a rail line, 3 road arteries connecting it to the city. 25% of its municipal border is with the city. Please explain how is accessibility to the city is poor.

Places like aspinwall, Wilkinsburg, Bellevue, avalon, brentwood, Edgewood, swissvale, dormont, crafton,ingram, and McKees rocks all blend into the city as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh